Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Need detailed step by step help w/ changing brake pads/rotors

Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
BAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ben
BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
Need detailed step by step help w/ changing brake pads/rotors

Tomorrow night I plan to install my new Hawk ceramic brake pads and new Powerslot slotted rotors. I've created this thread so that when I run into problems tomorrow night hopefully I'll have answers. I've read some write-ups and watched a few videos and I think I have a general idea of the entire process. I do have a few questions though:

1. Do I need to take off the master cylinder cap?

1. If I do take off the master cylinder cap so the fluid level can rise when I compress my pistons, will air get into my lines?

2. By removing this master cylinder cap, is this going to prevent potential problems with damaging the ABS?

Steps:
1. Remove clips and pins
2. remove master cylinder cap
3. slowly pry back pistons with old pads in using a screw driver
4. take out old pads
5. insert new pads (grease the back of the pads)
6. install the pins and clips

Am I forgetting anything?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Dont forget the brake grease and the grinder. You will need to grind off all the old gunk from your rotors, then put a light coat of brake grease on the rotors to keep them from squeeling.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Yea, go into NAPA and ask for a tube of brake rotor grease, they will know.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
Dont forget the brake grease and the grinder. You will need to grind off all the old gunk from your rotors, then put a light coat of brake grease on the rotors to keep them from squeeling.
I'm sorry.... what?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't do it, never put grease on the rotor.!!!!!! NEVER EVER PUT GREASE ON THE ROTOR! You put the grease on the back of the pads(as in the part that doesn't touch the rotors). Apply brake squeal stop to the backside of the pads. it acts as a damper so that when the brakes arent pressed and instead are rattling around ever so slightly at speed...the brakes dont chatter.

The auto parts store has brake grease in packets or a tube. You only apply it to the back of the pads. One packet is enough for 2 wheels.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
I am sorry guys, I couldnt help it. Correct... DO NOT PUT GREASE ON YOUR BRAKES AND DO NOT GRIND YOUR ROTORS. I wasnt going to let it go on for long. I am an asshole, I know. I wish I could have seen peoples faces though...

They do have some anti-squeel grease for the back of your pads though.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
I havent done my Taco pads yet but your procedures sound correct for the most part. The rears are differant as you have drum brakes in back. Also very easy.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I am sorry guys, I couldnt help it. Correct... DO NOT PUT GREASE ON YOUR BRAKES AND DO NOT GRIND YOUR ROTORS. I wasnt going to let it go on for long. I am an asshole, I know. I wish I could have seen peoples faces though...

I was like "he has to be drunk!"
Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

not funny, but it is!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
LoL OK, at least I am not the only that found that funny.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Just thinking about some noob reading that & doing what you wrote. And not seeing you were kidding.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
seanmccarthy1 is on a distinguished road
seanmccarthy1's Tacoma Gallery
excellent video on you tube of a tacoma front brake job....
Old 06-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #16
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
you might want to get some of this before you get started http://youtu.be/WLlGcNlseR0
Old 06-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
BAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ben
BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccarthy1 View Post
excellent video on you tube of a tacoma front brake job....
Yeah I've seen that 1st gen video on youtube. Are the 1st gen and 2 gen brakes pretty similar?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
I feel so Devo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP_29 View Post
If I take off the master cylinder cap am I going to have to bleed the brakes?
no
Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #20
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
You may want to wrap a rag or old towel around the open brake reservoir before you compress the caliper piston. Just in case it overflows the reservoir, you don't end up with brake fluid everywhere.