Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Muffler question : Shop trying to screw me over?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
JBlood9 has a spectacular aura aboutJBlood9 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jordan
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
Muffler question : Shop trying to screw me over?

I stopped by a local muffler shop today to burn some time and ask about an exhaust system. I want to put one on in the next week or two if i can make up my mind.
I hear the most about the flowmaster 40 and magnaflow 18 on here. Some Borla too...
I think i'm leaning flowmaster 40, but as I keep reading i'm seeing decreasing power and mpg. What is that all about? I DEF. dont want to hurt either of those and cant drop too much $.

The shop guy was all set on doing 1in/2out and this that and the other cat back at around $400. I hear guys all the time just throw the muffler on for 100 total. I'm not worried about some shiny tips for $300.

All advice appreciated! Thanks TW
Old 06-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a nice growl when you give it gas, the wicked flow mufflers are great. Good price and was exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure everyone that got one will tell you the same.

I can't comment much on the flowmasters or magnaflow, never had them.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
dmz1241 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
dmz1241's Tacoma Gallery
Do it youreself and save some money. Im not sure of the cost of a 40 series but i just got the 60 series for my truck and with clamps extra piping, and shipping for the exhaust i spent maybe $150. Took me 30 min to remove the old and put on the new.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
I went to a different shop today that does some work from a good friend and they guy said flowmaster 40 installed $135. Thats a little better imo. lol
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlood9 View Post
I went to a different shop today that does some work from a good friend and they guy said flowmaster 40 installed $135. Thats a little better imo. lol
That's not the same as what the first guy quoted. It sounds like the first shop quoted you a new muffler (single inlet, dual out) and that means he'd have to run new piping from the muffler back. The $135 I would bet is just cutting out your old muffler, putting in a new Flowmaster 40 series and reusing all the old pipe. Obviously cheaper but not an apples to apples comparison to what the first guy quoted you.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Hug balls bitch
big dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
big dog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
That's not the same as what the first guy quoted. It sounds like the first shop quoted you a new muffler (single inlet, dual out) and that means he'd have to run new piping from the muffler back. The $135 I would bet is just cutting out your old muffler, putting in a new Flowmaster 40 series and reusing all the old pipe. Obviously cheaper but not an apples to apples comparison to what the first guy quoted you.

there no way you need duals on his truck and for pipe and a few welds and bends i call bulls*#t i use to work for meineke and we were over priced becuz we were a franchise and thats way too pricey go with the flowmaster thats what every thing i own has ever had after i stoped driving rice rockets all you NEED is muffler and a turn down anything else is preference
Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
pizza is on a distinguished road

Army: 15T Blackhawk crew chief 25th ID
Name: Ryan
pizza's Tacoma Gallery
I just went to checker auto, bought a $80 dollar magna straight flow exhaust, went to midas exhaust shop for another $70 and they welded it on. Sounds great, and adds a few hp.

When it comes to trucks I Will never buy a complete exhaust system, they cost WAY too much.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
JBlood9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
NO, I know it was an entire different thing the first shop was wanting to do. My point was he was telling me this is the best and i had to do it this way and blah blah blah like i didn't know my ass from a whole in the ground...

And like big dog said, I dont need duals and tips and all that bs. I just want a little growl out of it. I'm not showing it off.