Notices

General Performance Questions

Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Performance is on a distinguished road
Name: Zach
Performance's Tacoma Gallery
General Performance Questions

Hey everyone,

I am really new the Tacoma set up and I have been trying to do some research and way my options as far as after market performance goes. I have pretty much decided that I am going to slowly upgrade my new truck, and stick mostly with TRD parts only because Toyota will warranty them as long as they put them on.

My general questions are:
1. Is the TRD CAI compatible with the supercharger? (I have only owned turbo, and I think that a supercharger is the best option based on how I will be using the vehicle).
2. Generally a cat back will increase HP numbers so I was thinking TRD, any other advice.
3. Do headers on these vehicles really produce solid gains?

Just a little background...I plan on 6 inch lifting and 35's as well as having the ability to pull a boat and run down the road (I-95). Of course this is all over the course of maybe 3 years and saving money

Thanks for any advice you may have
Old 06-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performance View Post
Hey everyone,

I am really new the Tacoma set up and I have been trying to do some research and way my options as far as after market performance goes. I have pretty much decided that I am going to slowly upgrade my new truck, and stick mostly with TRD parts only because Toyota will warranty them as long as they put them on.

My general questions are:
1. Is the TRD CAI compatible with the supercharger? (I have only owned turbo, and I think that a supercharger is the best option based on how I will be using the vehicle).
2. Generally a cat back will increase HP numbers so I was thinking TRD, any other advice.
3. Do headers on these vehicles really produce solid gains?

Just a little background...I plan on 6 inch lifting and 35's as well as having the ability to pull a boat and run down the road (I-95). Of course this is all over the course of maybe 3 years and saving money

Thanks for any advice you may have
If you are going to go with 35" tires you are going to have to re-gear.

The stock air intake is pretty much a CAI

I cannot comment on any HP gains from Cat-backs and headers
Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
The new TRD intake is compatible, but I would go with a 1st gen TRD intake or a AFE stage two, same thing but has a scoop at the bottom. Sadly as far as headers go we only have one long tube design header and several short tubes. Long tube is a bolt on and shorties will need to be welded on the two front cats. If you do install long tubes you will need a O2 sim to prevent the CEL to come on. Since your getting boost I would go for the long tubes, better for your EGT's. TRD catback will slightly improve power, but I would go for the 3 in URD catback, again since your going boost. I would highly recommend the URD fuel pump so your pressure doesn't drop off. I would also recommend some tuning but you really don't need to.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You don't have to stay with TRD parts and have the dealer do the install in order to keep the warranty.

1) Yes it will work but Toyota says it will run lean. Idk if it is true.

2) An exhaust doesn't do too much but it does more than just an intake.

3) Long tubes do.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nic
UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is the TRD CAI compatible with the supercharger?
From what ive read yes but the TRD CAI is, according the toyota (of course) the only one. even though im pretty damn sure that the AFE Si 2 Is the exact same CAI. same tube, box, filter, exactly the same like im guessing AFE makes the TRD CAI (for 150$ cheaper)
Old 06-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBCrew View Post
From what ive read yes but the TRD CAI is, according the toyota (of course) the only one. even though im pretty damn sure that the AFE Si 2 Is the exact same CAI. same tube, box, filter, exactly the same like im guessing AFE makes the TRD CAI (for 150$ cheaper)
Correct. TRD outsourced AFE to manufacturer their intake. This was the conical design intake. The new one is CARB approved and is a panel filter, the old one wasn't, and I believe K&N is the new manufacture for TRD or so I've heard.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario Runner View Post
Correct. TRD outsourced AFE to manufacturer their intake. This was the conical design intake. The new one is CARB approved and is a panel filter, the old one wasn't, and I believe K&N is the new manufacture for TRD or so I've heard.
AEM makes it.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Quote:
The new TRD intake is compatible, but I would go with a 1st gen TRD intake or a AFE stage two, same thing but has a scoop at the bottom. Sadly as far as headers go we only have one long tube design header and several short tubes. Long tube is a bolt on and shorties will need to be welded on the two front cats. If you do install long tubes you will need a O2 sim to prevent the CEL to come on. Since your getting boost I would go for the long tubes, better for your EGT's. TRD catback will slightly improve power, but I would go for the 3 in URD catback, again since your going boost. I would highly recommend the URD fuel pump so your pressure doesn't drop off. I would also recommend some tuning but you really don't need to.
With the headers you are referring to the Thorley header...correct?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
cool. Thanks for all of the quick responses. I am used to driving an Evo so I didn't really do a whole lot other than simple bolt on's. Since you have them, how much louder do the make the truck? Im not shooting for below any db number or anything I'm just curious.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Resident SUV racer

This is how my truck sounds at the moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rocvh4DNXIQ

This is with a AFE intake and the long tubes. the pos factory y and catback are still in there. some other 1gr owners say it drones when you have a urd y or any other and a aftermarket catback and add two mufflers or a muffler and resonator combo. To be honest how it sounds is going to be within your own personal preference. Since you had an evo (which one BTW? I like the 8 and 9) noise shouldn't be that much of a deal for you.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Quote:
This is how my truck sounds at the moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rocvh4DNXIQ

This is with a AFE intake and the long tubes. the pos factory y and catback are still in there. some other 1gr owners say it drones when you have a urd y and a aftermarket catback and add two mufflers or a muffler and resonator combo. To be honest how it sounds is going to be within your own personal preference. Since you had an evo (which one BTW? I like the 8 and 9) noise shouldn't be that much of a deal for you.
I had a WW Evo 9. That sounds awesome too BTW. One other noob question, I have a long bed...doesn't look like URD exhaust will fit?? any other suggestions?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
ok cool, I really appreciate all of your help.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nic
UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now I Know thanks, always wondered just never asked
Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #17
bcroach78 is on a distinguished road
Army: EOD
bcroach78's Tacoma Gallery
The OP had a double cab long bed. The URD 3" exhaust is not for DC LB. I went with the AFE exhaust that URD has on their site for my DC LB. Havent installed it yet, but should have it one by mid sept.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got the superchager, the trd/afe intake, the URD 3 inch exhaust with a DCLB, and 33s. I tow a #4000 boat and its sluggish but not bad just with 35s and a lot of towing you will want a regear.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
Ktmrider: your set up sounds very close to what I want. Did you have to fab the URD exhaust to make it fit the long bed?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #20
bcroach78 is on a distinguished road
Army: EOD
bcroach78's Tacoma Gallery
Also interested to know how you put the URD exhaust on your long bed...