Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

OUT with the K&N Air Filter . . .

Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
salttram is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
salttram's Tacoma Gallery
OUT with the K&N Air Filter . . .

For those of you who like to wheel in places like Death Valley or Nevada, with the fine alkali dust there, my recent experience with the filtration performance of the K&N air filter may be of interest.

After about 8K miles of commuting and driving off road in these conditions, I've found that my new K&N filter did not filter out the finer particles of dust. I'm used to seeing a very clean intake behind my OEM filter, but not after using the K&N. There was definitely a light but significant coating of dust behind the filter. It might be OK for most on-road conditions, but in the future, I'm going back to the OEM filter. Just my 2c . . .
Old 07-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
That because cloth/reusable filters don't filters as well, which in turn allows more air through, resulting in "performance" gains.

Paper filters (OEM or similar) filter the air better but restrict air flow more.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
That because cloth/reusable filters don't filters as well, which in turn allows more air through, resulting in "performance" gains.

Paper filters (OEM or similar) filter the air better but restrict air flow more.
Despite the "restriction" properties of the OEM filters, there is no noticable gain going from a K&N type, to the OEM type. Any gains to be had by a "high flow" filter, are less than 2 hp.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
That reminds me... I need to clean my K&N....

I'll give the intake a good look while I'm in there.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Well then if there were dust and dirt particles behind the filter than the K&N did exactly what it was supposed to do which is provide more airflow over stock element. Also most people who go to dunes don't run those kind of elements because of that exact reason. They are made for street and light off-road use. If you read about the claims from K&N no where does it say it provides better filtration. It's also the same reason why on cars and sportbikes there are "off-road" filters and there are upgrades from the OEM filter element from the same company. The off-road filter provides even less filtration, but higher airflow efficiency than both the upgrade and the OEM element, but because it will be used on a track where conditions i.e. dirt, dust, rocks, debris, are more controlled than for instance a street with a construction zone. If you want to run in the dunes and sand I'd suggest you a closed box setup (not cold air intake or open air element) or stock housing with a filter that provides more restriction.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #6

Actually, I think I did notice a little "seat of the pants" bump from the K&N . . . and I kind of liked the intake sound under hard throttle . . . but dirt behind the filter is dirt getting sucked into my engine. To be fair though, that fine dust we get out here (and in Baja) is unbelievably fine. You could probably use it as a dry lubrication. I'm confident the K&N would be acceptable in different conditions.

It's not like sand; it's the dreaded silt, the result of thousands of years of post Ice Age alluvium, with the finest particles rising to the surface of dry lakes and other low spots. Even hiking through it raises a cloud. There is a section of silt on one of the Baja 1000 routes that the bikes have gone down in and been buried, only to be run over by following vehicles because they couldn't be seen. Awful stuff . . . especially to ride through . . .
Old 07-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I have been more than happy with my afe drop in. easily worth the 40 or 50 bucks.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
RoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to behold

RoyR's Tacoma Gallery
I would never put that oil soaked thing upwind from all the emissions sensors...just asking for trouble!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyR View Post
I would never put that oil soaked thing upwind from all the emissions sensors...just asking for trouble!!!

I've been using K&N products for 15 years, on much more advanced systems than our Tacomas and I've NEVER not once thrown a CEL on any vehicle. Some of those cars were my WRX STi, a Lexus IS300, and my wifes Audi. If you're getting an oil soaked MAF sensor it's because you over oiled your filter. Plain and simple.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:51 AM   #10
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Around my area this is common knowledge. And the people who still chose to use them are usually the type of people who buy into things easily.

I'll stick with factory style filter.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #11
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
My afe pro dry s will let really fine dust threw as well. So does my Uni filter on my quad.(oiled 2 stage foam) No filter is 100%
Old 07-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
My afe pro dry s will let really fine dust threw as well. So does my Uni filter on my quad.(oiled 2 stage foam) No filter is 100%
Well then . . . I'll post what I find after I do my next OEM filter replacement.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 AM   #13
Yo! Wat up peeps?
1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future

1Bigbird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by salttram View Post
Well then . . . I'll post what I find after I do my next OEM filter replacement.
You will find it clogs then you lose power and can flood the motor.
And it can still let fine dust past.
Please let us know and pics too!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bigbird View Post
You will find it clogs then you lose power and can flood the motor.
And it can still let fine dust past.
Please let us know and pics too!
I do a lot of remote camping in Baja and other people-forsaken places and always carry a spare filter. Good insurance . . .
Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Not a K&N but I found some dust past my AFE dry flow. I wasn't happy. I might be going back to the stock intake or at least an oil filter.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
RGosen is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1st Battalion
Name: Christ would now agree, don't get yourself nailed to a tree
RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post

I have had the same thing with stock intake and afe or k&n or oiled non oiled.. And some gets in no matter what i've used and no real huge amount worth even talking about. never thrown a code with any of them, but did stick with my k&n as with such a small truck as ours you can notice the hp gain even if only 2 or 3 more. even if a fine bit of dust gets in its not going to kill your motor anyways and if your real worried about a bit of fine dust gunking anything up, blow some seafoem in your bb vac line once a year. I am not sure why someone wouldn't want some extra performance on these gutless trucks lol its a bit of a no brainer to me and many others to get out that stock crap af just like most stock parts are which is why no one likes stock set up its just not as good and no one can not deny that. I could see about big particles but we are talking a fine dist that will not hurt your pistons or walls