Turbo vs Supercharger

View Poll Results: Which one: turbo or S/C
Turbo 315 27.95%
Supercharger 644 57.14%
Dont spend the money on either 168 14.91%
Voters: 1127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #261
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap View Post
Well that guy was just going on an on about modifying.(Speed Freek, look up a few posts ) Like if I wanted more boost pressure I'd just change the damn pulleys. Everything is possible if you don't give a shit about warranty.
well "that guy" has some of the most experience on these toyota forums..

Go to customtacos if you want to learn something..
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #262
Valdosta State University
Taco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Orrin
Taco GTR's Tacoma Gallery
changing pulleys arent going to give you that much on power. i mean sure. 15psi with the only pulley you can find. 25psi with the push of a button. or 21 psi. or 15. i mean the turbo has more positives than negatives. sure the heat. but if you dont recall you v6 runners. STS turbo has a rear mount turbo. so are you worried about your bed melting?? i mean super charger puts more a strain on the engine. i think ppl that run superchargers are lazy. easy power.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #263
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Im impressed with my supercharger is able to get me 19mpgs.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #264
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco GTR View Post
changing pulleys arent going to give you that much on power. i mean sure. 15psi with the only pulley you can find. 25psi with the push of a button. or 21 psi. or 15. i mean the turbo has more positives than negatives. sure the heat. but if you dont recall you v6 runners. STS turbo has a rear mount turbo. so are you worried about your bed melting?? i mean super charger puts more a strain on the engine. i think ppl that run superchargers are lazy. easy power.
In Normal driving would it be your "opinion" your mpg would be better (no matter how slight) with a turbo charger vs a sc? I have a vw diesel and I gotta tell you I love my turbo charger as it seems easier to modify with parts already in place....
Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #265
Taco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco GTR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rme View Post
In Normal driving would it be your "opinion" your mpg would be better (no matter how slight) with a turbo charger vs a sc? I have a vw diesel and I gotta tell you I love my turbo charger as it seems easier to modify with parts already in place....
well thats the thing about a turbo compared to a sc. with a turbo you have to ride under boost. with a sc you are always boosting. but riding under boost get annoying when tryin to save gas. so in that section i give it to the sc. for power i give it to turbo. cause i mean once you have the sc. your kinda stuck with the mpgs you get. with turbo its a throw up.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #266
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco GTR View Post
well thats the thing about a turbo compared to a sc. with a turbo you have to ride under boost. with a sc you are always boosting. but riding under boost get annoying when tryin to save gas. so in that section i give it to the sc. for power i give it to turbo. cause i mean once you have the sc. your kinda stuck with the mpgs you get. with turbo its a throw up.
You're not always in boost with a SC...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
You're not always in boost with a SC...
yeah but its always pulling tho. thats what i was saying.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #268
ffblaze911 will become famous soon enoughffblaze911 will become famous soon enough

Firefighter: Engineer
Name: Matt
ffblaze911's Tacoma Gallery
so has anyone tested both on a tacoma?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #269
DanS is on a distinguished road
DanS's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if saying the turbo is as robbing of power as a s/c because it restricts exhaust flow is a valid argument because a turbine extracts most of its energy thermally. A turbo WOULD create a restriction in exhaust flow, but it would be insignificant compared to the increased rotating mass added by a s/c. A turbines rate of work output is a function of the change in temperature of the fluid flow. exhaust expands across the turbine, allowing the turbine to extract thermal energy. I'm just stating what I've recently learned in a thermodynamics class...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #270
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
I don't know if saying the turbo is as robbing of power as a s/c because it restricts exhaust flow is a valid argument because a turbine extracts most of its energy thermally. A turbo WOULD create a restriction in exhaust flow, but it would be insignificant compared to the increased rotating mass added by a s/c. A turbines rate of work output is a function of the change in temperature of the fluid flow. exhaust expands across the turbine, allowing the turbine to extract thermal energy. I'm just stating what I've recently learned in a thermodynamics class...
You sure are smart...I can't even spell thermodywhatmacallit....but it does my old bones good to see smart people are putting into english how alot of this stuff works....what surprises me--I understood everything you said and that's "scary!"
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #271
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
All i know.. blown seals in my turbo tacoma suck!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #272

rme's Tacoma Gallery
What turbo you running and how long did it last. What year Taco you got?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #273
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Including the last post. What too difficult to change the pulleys? You could run a stepper motor on a supercharger with a rpm feed back and it would work.

This would not be such a simple task, as you make it sound, and your pulley will help, but when you spin the SC too fast what happens?? You got it, HEAT, and do you have a big Intercooler to cool it down?? No.

What the magic of exhaust gives it something? All your doing is cramming air down the intake. It don't need a turbo. You could match any power curve you wanted with a electric drive or pulleys. Try doing that with a turbo

Its called doing your homework and mapping the turbo properly, it is possible to match a system you know...

http://www.best-price.com/search/lan...id/7001332086/
Quote:
SC you would have the belt to change once and awhile. On the TC well there should be really no maintenance but that is far from the case. All that heat takes it toll on other parts of a gas engine. The exhaust is way more complicated so pricey to replace. They also have a higher rate of failing catastrophically usually taking out the engine. The bearings simply don't last as long because of the heat. Also harder on the engine oil.

If you do maintenance and use the better turbos (Ball bearing type) it would be typical for it to outlast an SC. It would start making a howling sound long before it would grenade, you must have experience with Ebay turbos or none at all. The oil can be changed, and if it is done every 3000 miles and your using a turbo timer there is nothing to worry about.

Heat is bad news. It heats the incoming air somewhat. Bad. It restricts the exhaust gasses, The valve seat temperature is much higher on a turbo than a SC that is a really bad thing on a gas engine but it's critical to have on a diesel engine, it keeps the diesel valves clean of carbon.. One other thing on a turbo is the exhaust is much more wet because of pressure changes and all the wet rots the exhaust down stream even faster. You should only run stainless steel with a turbo. Real stainless steel not that BS cheap crap.

If your turbine housing is properly chosen there is very little restriction, so that isnt a problem if you do it right. All this heat you talking about it removed via Large front mount intercooler, can you run 15psi with less that 90 degrees of intake temp?? No you cant.
And about the exhaust being "wet" are you seroius!!?? Have you seen what happens when you start your trucK in the morning?? You got it WATER coming from the exhaust, did you know water is a byproduct of combustion?

For reliability getting rid of the heat and going with a liquid cooled intercooler the SC wins hands down. You are not dealing with hot exhaust gasses. You are not restricting the exhaust. The intake air is remaining cool. I'm sure they have set it up to be quite conservative on the power curve for reliability. It's a truck not a race car. Remember you really want all the power up at the top end when pulling your load at 100 MPH. Like it's kind of stupid on a truck. It's got a governor remember.

My intercooler does a very good at cooling the intake charge, very low temps even at high boost. Roots type SCs like the one your referring to create huge amounts of heat, and the effeciency drops drastically when installing a larger pulley and can very quickly become counterproductive.

I would like to see SC vs Turbo Air inlet temps at 13psi, I assure you mine would be FAR lower.

If you want a race car build a race car. If you want a truck that can smoke that car don't complain about the gas mileage and high maintenance. When was the last time you saw a rail car with a turbo? Don't think I've ever seen one.

Do you own research. Look here for posts of people having problems with there SC. Can't say I've seen any. Go to a different forum where the gas engine uses a turbo instead search for threads people are having problems with there turbo. Lots of those engine problems will also be obscure because they might not be associated with the actual cause.

Kind of like here with manual and auto trans. Standard rules the world and auto is for whimps and it's not actually a true truck with a auto. But if you read the posts it seems the standard trans have all the whining going on about odd problems. There is very few threads here about auto transmissions have problems.
Quote:
Well that guy was just going on an on about modifying.(Speed Freek, look up a few posts ) Like if I wanted more boost pressure I'd just change the damn pulleys. Everything is possible if you don't give a shit about warranty.
Like I already said, go ahead and change your pulley, but at a certain point your making enough heat that the extra boost does nothing good.

Not to mention your still very limited in the power your going to make, I can run 10 to 23psi efficiently, can you? No.

Like I said apples to oranges, SC if you want to bolt on a little kik and be done, turbo if you have skills and want to get far more power, but the SC is for most people since the parts are available and it bolts on in a few hours, turbo is not going to be that easy, so thats the dealbreaker for most people.

OK rant over, just have to set some things straight, this is a great example of someone who has no or very little experience with turbos feeding hungry minds, misrepresenting turbos, I am just hearing the same thing from other people that dont know either, its not your fault.

Its easy to repeat what you have heard, its easy to become misinformed as we see in this case. I see it all the time. There are some good books out there that can set things straight.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #274
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
S/C = you need power to make power.

Turbo = you can gain at least 50% more power.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 AM   #275
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
SpeedFreek wins
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #276
mikeyreolegio is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mikeyreolegio's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
I orginally voted for SC, but didn't realize that you have a 4-cylinder. I really don't know much as most, but wouldn't the market dictate what would be the better option. Subarus, Audis/VWs, Mazadas, Mitishibis, ect. all have turbos on them instead of superchargers. It's not like they spare any expense w/ the STI and Evo! Maybe it's different for trucks since more torque is needed. TRD offers a SC for the TC, so that contradicts what I said above.

I'm not an mechinical engineer, nor due it pretend to be.

thats such a vague comparison.

you compared subaru, audi/vw, mazda, mitsubishi, etc. they all have turbos not superchargers?

then you say that Subaru's STI and Mitsubishi's Evo choose to use a turbo instead of a supercharger.

then you say that TRD offers a SuperCharged TC.

So you really aren't contradicting yourself. You are just comparing the incorrect Make and Models.

TRD is Toyota Racing Development
Scion makes the TC

to my knowledge Toyota, Scion, and Lexus are all under the same ownership.

"I'm not an mechinical engineer, nor due it pretend to be"
im in that same boat man. haha...
Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #277
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
If I remember correctly, the tC was originally supposed to be turbocharged, which is probably how the car got it's name after Volvo complained about the use of the xC name. I know Eaton makes the TRD Supercharger for our trucks.

Comparing a SC vs TC in this thread should be for our engines only. I would think bringing different cars/engines would each have their unique behaviors making a comparison of which is better not so easy. One engine might work better with a SC and maybe another engine work better with a TC.

I also wonder if there are people that prefer a Turbocharger more cuz of the feeling when the boost kicks in as where superchargers have a more steady pull.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #278
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
just give it the hennessy treatment....twin turbos + supercharger.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #279
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
Series1000's Tacoma Gallery
Look around, s/c is more user friendly than a turbo. I have run turbos stock and modded, and I have installed and driven built cars with s/c's.

It comes down to how much power you want to make and how much you want to spend to get that power.

Its up to the Op what he wants to do, each has a strict following and they as you can tell get "passionate" about their own kind of "boosting"
Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #280
sloancallaway is on a distinguished road
Name: Sloan
sloancallaway's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
just give it the hennessy treatment....twin turbos + supercharger.
Ive heard of a twin charge set up, but a tri-charge, now thats interesting, I think I would keep that one on road though