Notices

Turbo vs Supercharger

View Poll Results: Which one: turbo or S/C
Turbo 315 27.95%
Supercharger 644 57.14%
Dont spend the money on either 168 14.91%
Voters: 1127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie View Post
15.5 PSI on a 4 cyl. SC'ed motor?
I was running 15.5 psi on a Dodge 5.9. 6.5 psi on my 2.7, but it could have easilly handled more. As long as the fueling is right, and the internals are strong enough. 6.5 psi from an SC is the same as 6.5 from a turbo.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
geerts016
geerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nice

geerts016's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Most modern Superchargers are as efficient as turbos, and they also have no affect on fuel economy, when not in boost. Many people think turbos are "free" h.p., BUT, they in fact take h.p. to make them soin. They have parasitic drag as a blockage in the exhaust system, where as a supercharges creats its parasitic drag in its pully. With modern serpantine belts, and low friction gear boxes, useing light weight oil, SC's can have just as much drag on the engine as a turbo, but they will make power throughout the rpm range.
Keep in mind, Im not trying to start an argument as to which is better.
how could a s/c be as efficient as a t/c? the s/c runs off of the crankshaft so it's just something extra for your engine to turn, the turbo is running off of already used energy. how does that make sense?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #23
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geerts016 View Post
how could a s/c be as efficient as a t/c? the s/c runs off of the crankshaft so it's just something extra for your engine to turn, the turbo is running off of already used energy. how does that make sense?
Exactly, superchargers have more drag on the motor thus less power at the same PSI, then with a turbo of the same PSI.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #24
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by geerts016 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Exactly, superchargers have more drag on the motor thus less power at the same PSI, then with a turbo of the same PSI.
Its a blockage in the exhaust system. Its not "Free h.p.". A turbo DOES have a parasitic drag on the engine. Install a Turbo on a engine but instead of connecting the intake, run the stock intake. Do the same with a blower. The two will be very similar in the amount of h.p. lost, via parasitic drag. Also, Turbos creat boost with a centrifugal type blower. They dont move alot of air by volume, thus they need a higher psi to fill the combustion chamber with a desiered charge. Most SC's are a Positive displacement type blower. I.e., an Eaton M62 moves 62 cubic inches of air per rotation. They move MUCH more air thus they can run less boost. Why do you think Top fuel cars use a SC instead of Turbos? I have found that running a much larger blower than whats recomended, but running less boost, yeilds the same power, and a cooler intake charge air temp. Makeing tuneing much more easy. With a Turbo, not only is the air heated via higher psi, but also, as the turbine is driven by the exhaust, the intake turbine absorbs this heat, and transferes it to the intake air.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #25
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
turbo if you can. makes more power and doesnt have near the loss the SC has.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #26
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger all the way!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #27
Buellie is on a distinguished road
Buellie's Tacoma Gallery
Are these turbo and superchargers kits from a company, or are they custom made?

If they are kits, who makes them?

I would like to know how much they cost.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #28
geerts016
geerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nicegeerts016 is just really nice

geerts016's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its a blockage in the exhaust system. Its not "Free h.p.". A turbo DOES have a parasitic drag on the engine. Install a Turbo on a engine but instead of connecting the intake, run the stock intake. Do the same with a blower. The two will be very similar in the amount of h.p. lost, via parasitic drag. Also, Turbos creat boost with a centrifugal type blower. They dont move alot of air by volume, thus they need a higher psi to fill the combustion chamber with a desiered charge. Most SC's are a Positive displacement type blower. I.e., an Eaton M62 moves 62 cubic inches of air per rotation. They move MUCH more air thus they can run less boost. Why do you think Top fuel cars use a SC instead of Turbos? I have found that running a much larger blower than whats recomended, but running less boost, yeilds the same power, and a cooler intake charge air temp. Makeing tuneing much more easy. With a Turbo, not only is the air heated via higher psi, but also, as the turbine is driven by the exhaust, the intake turbine absorbs this heat, and transferes it to the intake air.
alright i'll believe that about the turbo restricting exhaust flow.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #29
Buellie is on a distinguished road
Buellie's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so who makes these kits?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 AM   #30
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I've never, ever heard or seen a supercharger that's more or even close to as efficent as a turbo. That being said... there are issues with both and which to run depends on your situation really.

Pro's SC:
- Reliabilty
- Heat's not really an issue
- More even powerband
- Better for torque numbers
- Whine

Pro's Turbo:
- Efficency for HP gain
- Massive pull when the boost kicks in at a decent boost setting. No rush like it.
- Whistling and awesome BOV's

Cons SC:
- Driven off the pully, less efficent

Cons Turbo:
- Uneven powerband, depending on setup/tune usually won't start to see any pull until 2.5k + rpm's.
- Heat. Watercooled turbos are a win now, but the old oil cooled generate a ton of heat. Which makes oil changes even more imperative and ensuring you get the right oil weight balance so you're not starving the turbos and getting adequate protection in the engine.
- Rebuilds (bearing replacement) around 50-60k *normally*

Personally I prefer a TT setup over both any day... best of both worlds really. Draw is you won't get as much power low end as you can from an SC, not as much top end as from a single either. However, they're usually a more reliable setup, less turbo lag, smoother transition...

Other option is do both, SC and Single or TT :P. There are a few 300zx's out there with it... and all I gotta say is Jebus.

However, as for a truck I'd probably go with an SC.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #31
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
i still got a woody for the STS turbo system. and yes they make kits for tacomas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cvNXQOCjo
Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #32
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
4 cyls too??
Old 11-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #33
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
4 cyls too??
yup 4 bangers too
Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #34
gsxr3000 is on a distinguished road

gsxr3000's Tacoma Gallery
definitely s/c
Old 11-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #35
MaxKanisha is on a distinguished road
MaxKanisha's Tacoma Gallery
I own an Evo and I LOVE the feeling when I hit full boost.. Its a feeling you don't get while driving a S/C engine. So I vote turbo. And turbo lag is overrated, its not even that bad.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #36
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
okay guys, got a question. im thinking about possibly running a turbo or S/C setup in the tacoma. now my question is i dont know which one to get. a turbo, or a S/C. i heard that S/C units were more for bigger engined cars. and that turbos were for smaller sized engines. any suggestions??
Supercharger = Bad gas mileage but quicker response to throttle. More sensitive to bad air-fuel mixtures (high-altitude driving).

Turbocharger = Passive gas consupmtion, better drivability and economy with consideration for varying ambient atmospheric air-pressures, however turbo tends to lag slightly behind throttle input. More consistent power at altitude depending on waste-gate settings.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSUNAMI*22 View Post
Supercharger = Bad gas mileage but quicker response to throttle. More sensitive to bad air-fuel mixtures (high-altitude driving).
Most superchargers today have a bypass valve that allows normal engine mpg under non boost conditions. When I boosted my 2000 Tacoma, I saw no change in mpg. and in some cases it was better.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #38
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most superchargers today have a bypass valve that allows normal engine mpg under non boost conditions. When I boosted my 2000 Tacoma, I saw no change in mpg. and in some cases it was better.

A supercharger? Must be a supercharger I ain't heard of. That sounds like a turbocharger.

If it runs off your exhaust, it's a turbocharger.

What brand was it? Link?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #39
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A supercharger? Must be a supercharger I ain't heard of. That sounds like a turbocharger.

What brand was it? Link?
http://www.magnusonproducts.com/bypass.htm
Just one example. Want more?? Why are you challenging Chris' knowledge so much?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:17 AM   #40

Quote:

What brand was it? Link?
Most all superchargers for street vehicles have a bypass valve. Race applications dont, as there is not really a need for them under WOT conditions.
The super charger I used was an Alpine SC.
http://www.alpine-developments.us/ww...toy00super.htm

On the rear of the unit, you see the "can" that uses vaccume to opperate the pypass valve. The TRD superchargers are the same. The Supercharger's I have used on other vehicles were Kenne Bell chargers, and had a similar set up. On a street aplication, a pypass valve MUST be used otherwise, a rough idle condition occuers, and it leads to drivability problems when not under boost conditions, also known as compresser surge.
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=14
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=85
The Bypass Valve
Compressor surge is a problem that affects most superchargers and develops when the supercharger is creating boost, but the throttle shaft is closed. Although not a problem on some low-boost (5psi or less) applications This condition can occur under deceleration or while shifting between gears, and can cause the car to sputter and chirp. Under surge, the compressor forces air into the closed throttle body until the pressure inside the throttle body is higher than the amount of pressure being created by the supercharger, and the air tries to pop backward through the supercharger. At that point, pressure is released inside the throttle body and the compressor forces air back through the supercharger and into the throttle body, which again has nowhere to go, and the process repeats. While surge normally is not highly damaging to the engine it is certainly annoying and can cause damage with time. To eliminate these problems under surge conditions, a bypass valve (sometimes called an anti-surge valve) is used to release the excess pressure. The bypass valve is actuated using intake manifold vaccuum, which opens the vent valve and releases pressure in the air-intake. Air is either released into the atmoshpere (blowoff valve) or recirculated back through the supercharger compressor (bypass valve).