Turbo vs Supercharger

View Poll Results: Which one: turbo or S/C
Turbo 316 28.01%
Supercharger 644 57.09%
Dont spend the money on either 168 14.89%
Voters: 1128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #421
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I just don't see the 4.0 as a performance engine at all since it isn't in anything fast or even sporty. It is a truck engine and it is designed to hauling duties not maximum power. Is that why all of a sudden I'm negative and I should my truck? I love my truck.

No one really makes anything stout anymore. Long gone are the days of the 2JZ, 4G63 and others. Maybe soon though since fuel economy is a big issue now. Ford started it with the ecoboost 3.5. Who else will join in?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #422
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
No one really makes anything stout anymore. Long gone are the days of the 2JZ, 4G63 and others. Maybe soon though since fuel economy is a big issue now. Ford started it with the ecoboost 3.5. Who else will join in?
I don't know about other manufactures, but as far as the American makers, I think GM still makes some great engines (LS Series comes to mind). Great power and decent gas mileage for the power they make.

I watch Top Gear (UK) all the time, and it seems even the high end cars are trending towards some form of V8 now over V10s and V12s.

I'm surprised that here in the US we don't see more diesels emerging. I wouldn't mind having a turbo diesel V6 in my truck.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #424
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

On Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson drove an Audi 800 miles on a single tank. The engine was a twin turbo V8 diesel, makes about 270HP, 480 Torque. So a diesel with boost can make decent power with much better fuel economy than a gas engine. So why is this not more popular??
Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #425
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica9000 View Post
I don't know about other manufactures, but as far as the American makers, I think GM still makes some great engines (LS Series comes to mind). Great power and decent gas mileage for the power they make.

I watch Top Gear (UK) all the time, and it seems even the high end cars are trending towards some form of V8 now over V10s and V12s.

I'm surprised that here in the US we don't see more diesels emerging. I wouldn't mind having a turbo diesel V6 in my truck.
I was going to say that the V8s get better and better but I didn't want to upset the small displacement crowd. I would gladly take an LS engine equipped vehicle.

Also you said Top Gear UK. A lot of that doesn't make it to the US.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #426

Quote:
I was going to say that the V8s get better and better but I didn't want to upset the small displacement crowd. I would gladly take an LS engine equipped vehicle.

Also you said Top Gear UK. A lot of that doesn't make it to the US.
Top Gear UK is on BBC America all the time, and is on Netflix. I've only seen a few episodes of Top Gear USA, not really as good in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #427
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica9000 View Post
Top Gear UK is on BBC America all the time, and is on Netflix. I've only seen a few episodes of Top Gear USA, not really as good in my opinion.
I meant the engine tech.

The UK version is definitely awesome. I still watch the US version as well just to watch something. It is an alright show.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #428

Quote:
I meant the engine tech.

The UK version is definitely awesome. I still watch the US version as well just to watch something. It is an alright show.
Ah I misunderstood. If our gas prices keep getting worse, we might see more of it. Though we shouldn't have to wait for something bad to make use of good technology.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #429
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Just like the 2JZ eh?

The 2JZ, or the twin charged build by APR?
balboa's truck
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #431
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Turbos are for going fast...supercharges are for domestics.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #432
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #433
gnfreak is on a distinguished road
Name: keith
gnfreak's Tacoma Gallery
Im late to this post but i gotta vote turbo. Turbo,intercooled,alcohol injection, oh wait is this my buick forum?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #434
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you serious?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #435

Quote:
Neither are fast. The key to speed is yellow stickers!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #436
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit you guys suck at sarcasm. I was kidding...kind of.. I like my turbos for making me go fast. Unless it's is an awesome diesel. I don't like superchargers as much. Combine a supercharger and a domestic car and you've got a losing combination.

I have a severe hate for these new supercharged mustangs/camaros as you may see. To be honest I didn't even read the OP. I'm just talking out of my ass, basically.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #437
Banned
Quote:
I'm just talking out of my ass
I noticed this.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #438
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Holy shit you guys suck at sarcasm. I was kidding...kind of.. I like my turbos for making me go fast. Unless it's is an awesome diesel. I don't like superchargers as much. Combine a supercharger and a domestic car and you've got a losing combination.

I have a severe hate for these new supercharged mustangs/camaros as you may see. To be honest I didn't even read the OP. I'm just talking out of my ass, basically.
fail.