Notices

Turbo vs Supercharger

View Poll Results: Which one: turbo or S/C
Turbo 315 27.95%
Supercharger 644 57.14%
Dont spend the money on either 168 14.91%
Voters: 1127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2008, 05:21 AM   #41
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Also, as far as I know, Only a "Roots type" supercharger is going to have a pypass valve. Paxton, URD, or any other type of centrifugal supercharger (wich is basically a gear driven turbo) is going to have a Blow off valve like a turbo.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:25 AM   #42
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
http://www.magnusonproducts.com/bypass.htm
Just one example. Want more?? Why are you challenging Chris' knowledge so much?
Its all good, Frank. These types of post are good for everyone to learn from.

BTW, That M90 blower is one I have ALWAYS wanted to fiddle with! I had the M62 on my 2.7 (Ford lightning used an M45 ), and I belive the second gen supercharger is the same M62, but I cant verify this.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 AM   #43
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSUNAMI*22 View Post
Supercharger = Bad gas mileage but quicker response to throttle. More sensitive to bad air-fuel mixtures (high-altitude driving).

Turbocharger = Passive gas consupmtion, better drivability and economy with consideration for varying ambient atmospheric air-pressures, however turbo tends to lag slightly behind throttle input. More consistent power at altitude depending on waste-gate settings.
I gained about 3.5mpg highway when I added my blower. After I added my 7th injector that dropped down to 2.5.

Quote:
A supercharger? Must be a supercharger I ain't heard of. That sounds like a turbocharger.

If it runs off your exhaust, it's a turbocharger.

What brand was it? Link?
And the supercharger I'm talking about is the TRD S/C for the 4.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
turbo if you can. makes more power and doesnt have near the loss the SC has.
But you're going to pay for that extra horse. On a norm hp is about $60 (give or take). When you start getting into f/i, then you get a 'group guy' and usually see hp drop to about $40 per. Now depending on the deal you found, or the extremely rich to the perfect lean changes, you will see some discrepancies.

No doubt a turbo is great for making ungodly amounts of power that a S/C won't be able to do. But it has its trade offs. As does a s/c. This is a never ending feud, and what happens people start arguing personal preference and points of view and nobody gets anywhere.

Needless to say Boost > N/A... enough said
Old 11-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
I gained about 3.5mpg highway when I added my blower. After I added my 7th injector that dropped down to 2.5.

And the supercharger I'm talking about is the TRD S/C for the 4.0L
Your running a 7th injector on your 4.0? Being as 6 new higher flowing injectors are included in the kit, A new MAP is installed at the dealer, and seeing some AFR's on the ol Dynamometer, I was under the impression the fueling was just about perfect?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:51 AM   #45
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Your running a 7th injector on your 4.0? Being as 6 new higher flowing injectors are included in the kit, A new MAP is installed at the dealer, and seeing some AFR's on the ol Dynamometer, I was under the impression the fueling was just about perfect?
I didn't use the injectors that came with the kit, I am using Denso IKH22 Iridium plugs. The factory MAP is worthless. I am also running the APR X-1 ecu calibrator that is tuning over the TRD ECU flash. So still got my tune dead on.

7th injector is being used to cool in the intake charge (the way a small shot of nitrous or water/meth would) as well as coat the eaton screws to create seals and up the boost a bit.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #46

Quote:
I didn't use the injectors that came with the kit, I am using Denso IKH22 Iridium plugs. The factory MAP is worthless. I am also running the APR X-1 ecu calibrator that is tuning over the TRD ECU flash. So still got my tune dead on.

7th injector is being used to cool in the intake charge (the way a small shot of nitrous or water/meth would) as well as coat the eaton screws to create seals and up the boost a bit.
Hell of a way to go! Im still considering weather or not to boost my Tacoma. If I do, I think I'll stick with the factory MAP and use the injectors that come with the kit. Being as most of my driveing is between 1000 and 9000 ft. I think I will be fine. BUT, Why do you say the factroy MAP is worthless? Just courious, if you want to hit me via PM, we can talk about it there.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #47
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Hell of a way to go! Im still considering weather or not to boost my Tacoma. If I do, I think I'll stick with the factory MAP and use the injectors that come with the kit. Being as most of my driveing is between 1000 and 9000 ft. I think I will be fine. BUT, Why do you say the factroy MAP is worthless? Just courious, if you want to hit me via PM, we can talk about it there.
Well not so much that it's worthless.. but it is a P.I.A. to tune around.. that's all. It actually does a good job out of the box for a stock or near stock truck.

But me and the TRD flash have exchanged some curse words and aren't on talking terms right now. haha
Old 11-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Well not so much that it's worthless.. but it is a P.I.A. to tune around.. that's all. It actually does a good job out of the box for a stock or near stock truck.

But me and the TRD flash have exchanged some curse words and aren't on talking terms right now. haha
LMAO!!!
Thanks for the reply. I had the same issue on my 2000. There was no factory MAP then, so I went and did things MY way. I re did the FMU, and switched some things around. When Toyota/TRD decided they were going to offer a kit for the 2.7, they had some guys come down from Ca. to look at my truck. I poped my hood, and one guy said "You cant do that........well........Hey (so and so), come and look at this!" LOL
Old 11-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #49
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
http://www.magnusonproducts.com/bypass.htm
Just one example. Want more?? Why are you challenging Chris' knowledge so much?
I'm not challenging his knowlege. I just never knew they had this stuff. This stuff is awesome.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #50

Quote:
I'm not challenging his knowlege. I just never knew they had this stuff. This stuff is awesome.
Yes it is!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #51
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
turbo wont add 20psi off the bat! im running 9 out my trd suppercharger. thats alot for these engines but you can push more. it depends on the application. if your just useing it for small boosts when towing and what not or my most favorite is beasting somone off the stop light! go with a supercharger but if your doing serious performance tuning go with a turbo. especialy if your dooing a good amount of towing.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #52
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Just do what Hennessey did with a Ford GT...

Old 11-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #53
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
wow. um, i dont think my little 2.7 could handle a 1000+hp twin turbo. i would have a hellacious amount of torque. though. yeah guys, keep in mind my truck is the 2.7L I4. not the V6.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #54
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
twin turbos that go through the supercharger
Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #55
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
haha. yeah.....
Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #56
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
twin charged FTW!! Would love to have something like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdiqK68iOg
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #57
trick61 is on a distinguished road
trick61's Tacoma Gallery
Turbo charger all the way!!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #58
Im so hungry i can ride a horse...
kmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
kmrofka's Tacoma Gallery
i voted for the sc. but based on the 4banger you got i would say turbo. i personaly like the supercharger myself
Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #59
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
twin turbos that go through the supercharger

some old detroit 2 stroke diesels had 14-71 supercharger with twin turbos feeding them... that way they had the constant boost of a super and the high end boost of turbos
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #60
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
also i should say that you guys are throwing numbers like 20 psi around like its a huge amount... my dads near stock dodge ram put out 28psi boost... my modded common rail 610 cummins was topping the 50psi gauge out I had ... with the right setup alot of boost can be added... but with a 2.7L 4cyl... 12-16psi of boost is PLENTY wether that be s/c or turbo or TT personally TT is almost pointless on a 4 cyl near stock engine... if you had sheetmetal intake...fireringed head...head studs...cams..ported..heat treated rods etc etc etc sure TT but on stock motor? single turbo in the T3/T4 range would be a nice setup or M62 supercharger off a 3.8L V6 buick regal or ford thunderchicken