Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Throttle Body Spacer

Old 07-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
reddsoxy is on a distinguished road
Army: CPT
reddsoxy's Tacoma Gallery
Throttle Body Spacer

I don't have my 'yoda yet but I am already trying to come up with a list of things I want to do to it once I have it in my garage. I have been looking around at various parts and such and was curious if anyone as any experience they would like to share regarding the use of a Throttle Body Spacer... are they worth time time/money? If so, what brand would you recommend?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
They dont work. All they do is make a wistle sound when you get on it.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
bcb97 is on a distinguished road
bcb97's Tacoma Gallery
The only performance upgrade on a taco worth anything is the supercharger.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
reddsoxy is on a distinguished road
Army: CPT
reddsoxy's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you very much... no throttle body spacer for me.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I would agree that the biggest bang for your buck is the supercharger, it is also the one item that is made specifically for this engine and computer (ECU). BUT, there are other things you can do to this truck such as a CAI (cold air intake) and bolt on cat-back exhaust. The are two issues with these mods though, one, that aftermarket companies make all these boasts about HP and torque claims that frankly don't make a whole lot of difference until you get higher up in the RPM range of the engine, second, like in the case of the CAI, because you are modifying the characteristics of the airflow to the engine, you will confuse the MAF sensor (Mass airflow sensor), and the ECU, this causes the ECU to dump too much fuel into the engine and it kills your MPG's, a company called URD makes a gizmo called a MAF Calibrator which has to be soldered into the ECU harness (the make a plug and play harness but it costs more than the calibrator), that corrects the data from the sensor and largely fixes this issue. These three mods will set you back around 1200-1300 bucks.
My point is this, these engines are detuned from the factory and there are things that will make a difference but you want to be realistic with yourself and your wallet. It's a truck, if you want to go that fast, buy a hot-rod. In my case, I did the CAI and the cat-back and eventually (through this site), found the MAF Calibrator and put that is, it was trail and error for me and a little frustrating to boot, but is my truck faster? You bet, it will dust any stock Taco no problem, the throttle response is more immediate and above 3000 PRM it pulls like crazy. My advice is that if you really want to make this thing haull ass, the supercharger is the way to go, if you don't have that kind of cash to dump into your truck you can still make it faster, just be realistic about your goals and understand you are getting into screwing with your sensor data and must be taken into consideration.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
They dont work. All they do is make a wistle sound when you get on it.
When you stand on them, or sit?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
don't you think toyota would have put the spacer in there theirself if they knew such a small item would make such an improvement?

That should end it right there.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
When you stand on them, or sit?
Stand. When you sit on them, the tone is more twards the lower end....
Old 07-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Stand. When you sit on them, the tone is more twards the lower end....
Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Muscles is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Load Master
Name: Kyle
Muscles's Tacoma Gallery
I think the whistle sounds cool haha and its only like 100 bucks or something , if you have the money why not. It doesnt do anything performance wise tho
Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles View Post
I think the whistle sounds cool haha and its only like 100 bucks or something , if you have the money why not. It doesnt do anything performance wise tho
I would rather have a nice dinner or buy more music with that $100. Now if I see one for $20 I'll take it just to see what it sounds like.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Rashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shedRashnu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rashnu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddsoxy View Post
I don't have my 'yoda yet but I am already trying to come up with a list of things I want to do to it once I have it in my garage. I have been looking around at various parts and such and was curious if anyone as any experience they would like to share regarding the use of a Throttle Body Spacer... are they worth time time/money? If so, what brand would you recommend?
Don't waste your money
Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery