Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

HHO conversions

Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
HHO conversions

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this. For those that don't know; there are folks that claim one can create hydrogen gas via electrolysis in water. Most people run that gas into the air intake increasing fuel efficiency significantly. Others also claim to be able to run their vehicles solely on water.

There is a lot of hoopla on the internets claiming the technology and kits that are sold are bogus and a scam. Mythbusters bought some plans and built a prototype which didn't work, though they eventually did just run pure hydrogen gas from a tank into the air intake which did start the car...so it does work.

I've read many articles and seen DIYers via youtube posting their modified cars/trucks.

I wanted to know if any of you here have attempted; failed, succeeded in HHO production and functioning with your cars (and of course Tacos!)
Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
dustin scroggins is on a distinguished road
Navy: Corpsman
Name: Dustin
dustin scroggins's Tacoma Gallery
HHO

You cant soley run a car on HHo for long due to the amount thatyou would need to use. I have had a HHo set up on my 2007 Tundra 5.7L for 2 years successfully and it worked well paid $130.00 for all of the parts and 3 days of my time and some trial and error. I ended up getting 19.6 to 20 MPG city and 28 HWY on a trip out to washington state from North Carolina. Well worth the amount of money and did pay for its self. Jack Nicklson did this back in the 80's on an old oldsmobile or a chevy one of the two but the trunk was full of Oxygen tanks full of pure Hydrogen very dangerous one rear end collision and kiss your butt good bye.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hmm. Ive seen some YouTube vids by DIYers claiming to get 80mpg on trucks like an s10 using the hybrid method. I've also heard claims of total HHO conversions. Are yiu saying it would be limited to the amount of HHO needing to be produced? That current systems can't provide enough to run an engine solely on it?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
HHO

Yes it does depend on the amount of Hydrogen being produced. Complete conversions are possiable if you have a lot of time and money to spend on the reaserch for it to properly work. I have seen videos of people running small lawn mowers and even weedeaters on pure hydrogen for a few moments but nothing long term. The kits only produce 1-8 liters per min max that I have seen my unit ended up producing arround 3.2 liters per min, you have to do some reaserch in order to get the solution correct for electrolosis to happen and do so effectivly. you need to also find out how much extra current it produces and determine how much amps you can allow the HHo unit to run constantly while driving.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #6

ahh, good info thanks Dustin. Was the unit you were using just sending the HHO into the air intake?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
HHo

I had the Hydrogen injected after the MAF so that it wouldn稚 cause it to throw a CEL. I could notice a big difference in the way the tundra Idled it was much smoother, and seemed to make the engine quieter, I知 about to put that same unit on my 2011 Taco, I値l let you guys know how well it runs on the same output as the tundra used.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin scroggins View Post
I had the Hydrogen injected after the MAF so that it wouldn稚 cause it to throw a CEL. I could notice a big difference in the way the tundra Idled it was much smoother, and seemed to make the engine quieter, I知 about to put that same unit on my 2011 Taco, I値l let you guys know how well it runs on the same output as the tundra used.
Subbed for pics of your tundra as well as Tacoma. Mythbusters tried it and didn't get shit for positive results... I would just like a little proof, because I have always been interested in this kind of stuff
Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Subbed for pics of your tundra as well as Tacoma. Mythbusters tried it and didn't get shit for positive results... I would just like a little proof, because I have always been interested in this kind of stuff
not to get all conspiratorial up in here but maybe they failed for a reason? Also, they proved a car could run on hydrogen gas at the end when they pumped hydrogen into the intake and started the car and it ran till there was a...wouldn't call it a back fire would you?

Anyways, they used some plans they got online, those could have been bogus and therefore yielded them negative results...
Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 AM   #11
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedoola View Post
...there are folks that claim one can create hydrogen gas via electrolysis in water.
I'm not trying to stir it up, but any kid with a battery, length of wire, beaker of water and 2 test tubes can do this; and most have for grade 7 science class... at least in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin scroggins View Post
I have had a HHo set up on my 2007 Tundra 5.7L for 2 years successfully...
I also find it a bit odd that dustin scroggins first and only posts (all 3) are in this thread. Smells like a scam...

Frank
Old 08-19-2011, 03:42 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^^^^^ Well let's give him the welcome aboard and where are the pics treatment then............
Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
Frank

Well obviosly if you have done this in class when you were younger then you should know that hydrogen is an explosive gas and is more combustable at a lower temperature than gasoline. Also if any of you want to do any real reasearch BMW and Honda have both made a Hydrogen powered car, and the hydrogen is produced in the same manner during the fueling process in any plant that mass produces it for fueling stations. I have no reason to set up a scam and im not selling anything to any one im just telling people what has worked for me, the proof is in the experiment.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
My whole thing is that if it really does work... Why haven't more people done it!? And can you take some pictures for us? No need to call out other members either. And he's right, you do only have 4 posts. We can't take your word for gold as we know nothing about you. Prove us all wrong. I would love to get a consistent 25 mpg out of my truck if I could
Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #16
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
My whole thing is that if it really does work... Why haven't more people done it!? And can you take some pictures for us? No need to call out other members either. And he's right, you do only have 4 posts. We can't take your word for gold as we know nothing about you. Prove us all wrong. I would love to get a consistent 25 mpg out of my truck if I could
x2
I've always thought the HHO sounded interesting but there is so much skepticism about it. Many of the kits are priced pretty high so if it doesn't work then you're screwed. Also not real sure about the long term effects, any negatives?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
According to a spokesman for the American Automobile Association, "All of these devices look like they could probably work for you, but let me tell you they don't." These devices are in violation of the first and second laws of thermodynamics.

hydrogen fuel enhancement

Frank
Old 08-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
Do you seriously think a spokesman will come out and say that a product that can reduce the cut of money they make off of gas profits would actually say hey this helps reduce the amount of fuel your vehicle will need to perform the duty cycles of combustion. That would be like the gas prices dropping by 2.00 over night it wouldn't happen.

The kits are very expensive and that is why I didn't purchase one I'm not going to spend money on something that takes common sense and the aid of the internet to make at your own house with a few common tools. I'll post pics of my unit, as far as the unit installed on the tundra; I no longer have the truck I'm hoping to have it installed on the Tacoma in about 2 weeks after I make a new reservoir for the SS plates.

Oh and I'm not the one putting others on blast. I am simply putting out my two cents on the subject since I personally have had some success with the subject.

Besides yes the fuel cell is hydrogen, and has an electric engine to run the vehicle but it does use combustion same principle. Hydrogen/Gasoline...
Old 08-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #19
Oh and you are right just because someone tells you it does or doesn't work doesn't mean you should listen to them you need to do it your self to find that out on your own.