Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Toyota Dealership Installed Serpentine Belt Backwards...

Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
a member
WhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
WhiteWiddow's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Dealership Installed Serpentine Belt Backwards...

I got a call from the dealership on Friday saying that they messed up and the mechanic installed the serpentine belt the wrong way around the tensioner when they installed my new AC compressor and clutch. They didn't have a OEM belt in stock so I was with a sweet 2011 Golden Camery as a loaner for the weekend... I'm pickin up the truck after work today. I asked on the phone what else they installed backwards as there is a diagram on the hood for how to install the serpentine belt. He assured me that everything else is fine and nothing else could have been screwed up. I asked if the belt was installed backwards or the wrong way around the tensioner how could everything be rotating the correct way. He assured me it was and that its "complicated to explain." I'm not the sharpest kid on the block but that doesn't sound right to me, also I think i've seen to much behind their doors to trust em now as I swear every time a new person comes in they rant off different prices and figures like a used car salesman... Any real Mechanics got any advice or tips for when I pick up the taco?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
Look at the belt on the front of the engine as best you can, follow the diagram. If they installed it backwards, then their mechanics must be idiots. Installing serpentine belts is easy as long as you follow the diagram
Old 07-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
a member
WhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiteWiddow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1999t View Post
Look at the belt on the front of the engine as best you can, follow the diagram. If they installed it backwards, then their mechanics must be idiots. Installing serpentine belts is easy as long as you follow the diagram
10-4. Yea im no genius but with pictures you would think a Toyota Mechanic who works at a dealership could figure it out.

I picked it up after work, everything seems to check out finally. I was polite about it but I expressed my frustrations with the dealership, the hassle, etc.. not like they give a flying ...., but we see if they follow through with what they "promised" aka some OEM oil filters and "someone will call you" about a OEM bed mat... I know that ones a hail Mary but I thought i'd toss it up anyways. see what happens.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
I am still trying to figure out how this could happen and how it could mess up the belt. Unless the Bozo forced it on the pulley and if so he needs to go back washing cars or flipping bugers
Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
I would push for an extended warranty if you don't already have one.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
a member

Yea im not quite sure how he got the thing on backwards either. I got the platinum extended warranty for another year or 100k (zero deductible); & as I just turned 35k on my 06 this morning on the way to work im sure by this time next year I will be SOL if something else goes...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
sellvjack is on a distinguished road
Army: veteren 31 Quebec
Name: jack
sellvjack's Tacoma Gallery
backward belt

I just found out that these belts are one direction belts.My 2011 tacoma brokedown in Baton Rouge on the way to Florida. My dealer in cc tx. installed the belt backwards and it eventually destroyed the water pump. 4hours later we were on the road. Pump still has aleak. Its sunday, tommorrow my dealer is in for an earful!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
D4D Hilux Dude is a jewel in the roughD4D Hilux Dude is a jewel in the roughD4D Hilux Dude is a jewel in the roughD4D Hilux Dude is a jewel in the rough

Name: Darren
D4D Hilux Dude's Tacoma Gallery
what exactly do you mean, one direction belts?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Wow...there's a similar thread about this very same thing that's recent

Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Wow...there's a similar thread about this very same thing that's recent

Same derp:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...up-beware.html
Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
Never have anyone work on anything of yours on a Monday or a Friday...Two of the Worst days of the week to get something worked on or fixed.

Believe me i work in the construction field and i see it and feel it every week..
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
KS WRAITH is on a distinguished road

KS WRAITH's Tacoma Gallery
Wow...how the hell do you install a serpentine belt wrong and be a Toyota mechanic? I did mine in a little over 5 minutes in the garage. Always double check the thread path.