Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Cold Air Intake?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
xnanner is on a distinguished road
Name: Pat
xnanner's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Cold Air Intake?

I have been told that cold Air Intakes increase horse power and gas mileage..
Which one would be the best one to buy?? i have a 2002 tacoma
Old 07-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
your a first gen tacoma so your best bet is the deck plate mod, like 10$ worth of parts for the same effect as the 150$ CAI for the first gens
Old 07-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Your stock intake is cold air already. If you want a bit more throttle response and noise search Deckplate mod. There is no bolt on mod short of a supercharger that is going to really bump the power output.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Your stock intake is cold air already. If you want a bit more throttle response and noise search Deckplate mod. There is no bolt on mod short of a supercharger that is going to really bump the power output.
Speaking of which, did i tell you yet? I just bought a S/c
Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Speaking of which, did i tell you yet? I just bought a S/c
Really? Nice dude. Which one? I was thinking about getting a gen 1 URD kit someone was selling on here but I skipped on it.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Really? Nice dude. Which one? I was thinking about getting a gen 1 URD kit someone was selling on here but I skipped on it.
The URD MK1 Stage 2 yup that would be the same kit, guy listed it on ebay for 1500$ cause i guess he got desparate, after some bidding she's all mine for 1734$, amazing deal
Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
The URD MK1 Stage 2 yup that would be the same kit, guy listed it on ebay for 1500$ cause i guess he got desparate, after some bidding she's all mine for 1734$, amazing deal
Nice man. Everything is pretty much good to go with it except that I would not be able to use the 7th injector kit because no APR for my truck. So I wonder if you can upgrade the blower unit down the road to something bigger.

I'm selling my quad this month and I'm debating between a TRD blower or 300zx turbo.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Nice man. Everything is pretty much good to go with it except that I would not be able to use the 7th injector kit because no APR for my truck. So I wonder if you can upgrade the blower unit down the road to something bigger.

I'm selling my quad this month and I'm debating between a TRD blower or 300zx turbo.
no APR?? what is an APR...
Old 07-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
no APR?? what is an APR...
APR X-1 piggyback ecu. Maybe your Unichip will be able to run the 7th injector.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #11

oooo, umm. I'm pretty sure my unichip can run it. apparently the MK1 was designed to run using stock systems though, without a programmer, so it shouldn't matter i'm thinking
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #13

Sounds good to me
Old 07-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
Banned
I want to see vids now!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
dwr80 is on a distinguished road
dwr80's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, So honestly, I know there has been lots of posts on CAI's. What does one really gain from installing? Have an 09 trd sport and was thinking of the K&N 77 intake. I've always had KN filters and cleaning them is NO big deal. Just wondering what I would gain in installing this?
Old 07-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr80 View Post
Ok, So honestly, I know there has been lots of posts on CAI's. What does one really gain from installing? Have an 09 trd sport and was thinking of the K&N 77 intake. I've always had KN filters and cleaning them is NO big deal. Just wondering what I would gain in installing this?
Maybe 2hp max at high RPM.<--If you read any of those CAI posts you would have know that. Also that is a hot air intake. Choose something that is enclosed. AFE SI Stage 2 or Volant but you need a URD MAF cal with a Volant.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My dad got the URD kit that goes out infront of the radiator. Helped a lot actually and sounds bad ass
Old 07-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #19
completenirvana is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: USMC Veteran, Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
completenirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have one and I love it. That was the first thing I did when I bought my truck and it brought up my MPG by 2 or 3. I recommend them.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #20
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by completenirvana View Post
I have one and I love it. That was the first thing I did when I bought my truck and it brought up my MPG by 2 or 3. I recommend them.
How could you possibly know that it brought up your mpg by 2 or 3 if it was the first thing you did?