1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&N AirCharger Intake on 2011 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tacoapw, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Oct 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    Blackhawk131

Blackhawk131 Well-Known Member

Member:

I can tell you 100% they can not void your warranty. But it does void the warranty on the part. For example if you put on headers you have voided the exaust warranty. They have to prove 100% that the part is the actual cause of the problem. Most of the time these comments are made as a scary tactic. If they make this statement to you just ask to speak to the Toyota Rep in that area because of what they just said to you and you feel like you are being threatened. I assure you they will change their tone.

2. Oct 21, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    So what are you saying?

Changing the tube size is tricking the engine into making the same power with LESS fuel? Or more power, but less fuel? More power, same fuel?

3. Oct 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Many folks list hp readings that are much higher than actual dyno results. Did you dyno your mod?

4. Oct 21, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Jimmybuckets says "leaner", not "richer" via more fuel?

5. Oct 23, 2011 at 3:48 AM
    JimmyBuckets

JimmyBuckets Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 6 speed V-6 sr-5
    It can work either way, but this is not generally a good way to tune an engine for more power. It can blow your motor. If you get an intake from a reputable company it should be safe and tested. People making their own usually eat their own boogers.

6. Oct 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    What blows the motor is too much boost SPI, pre ignition, lack of oil, or exceeding the pistons max speed......Simplle mods (if done correctly) wont blow a motor.

7. Oct 24, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    Blackhawk131

Member:

Incorrect. The MAF is going to read all air going throughthe sensors. That would be like saying put on a SC would do the same thingbecause it is forcing air passed the MAF. Also if the ECU dumped more fuelwithout air you will run richer causing loss of power. Most of the systems aredesign to be more efficient resulting in a little more power from a slighly leaner condition. Slightly lean for normally aspirated is good.

8. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    Blackhawk131

Member:
    Until you start modifying the MAF you have not really changed anything except for the effienctcy of the air flow to the MAF. I assure you there was(or should not have been) any real tuning required with a K&N or Valant system.

But again I was not there and there could be more to this story than we both know.

9. Oct 24, 2011 at 10:58 PM
    SPORT55

SPORT55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clinton, N.Y.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab TRD Sport Black
    I'm back....
    To Chris 4x4 and whippersnapper02 I wanna apologize for my immature behavior last week...I do still feel there was some gain with the K&N intake but that was my butt dyno and it could of just felt that way cause of the improved throttle response.
    The funny thing is that I returned the intake just yesterday . I liked everything about it except the loud over bearing intake noise, just to much for me in the cabin. These cold air intakes just don't sound that great with a 6 cyclinder like they do with an 8...
    Well since then I have added The TRD exhaust(did that yesterday). Love the sound, just right for me. I'm not into the loud crazy mufflers (especially the rice sound). I guess the only complaint I have is between 1500 and 3000 rpm it does get a bit buzzy in the cabin, I wouldn't call it annoying drone but a definate buzz. Going to drive it a bit more then possibly add a resonator (looking for knowledge into this if anyone can give me insight to adding the res.)..
    Also did the 2nd filter delete (not that it does much but had everything apart anyways,so figured it wouldn't hurt) and added a AFe pro dry s filter..

Oh and to the guy who stated I had a 1000 hp mustang I know everything... I don't know everything but I will tell you I know alot of stuff about cars. I've had 7 stangs and have done every mod on them myself, including a supercharge upgrade, pulleys,suspension,intakes,exhaust..so not eveything,always more to learn but i'm not your everyday rookie....

10. Oct 25, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    You're on the right track, but not complete. While the MAF will read any air changes going past it, the actual air flow that the ECU uses to calulate timing, injector pulse, etc. is calculated on an assumption of what the air intake tube cross section is. The Volant, and the new TRD (pre-modded), seem to have changed that tube cross section such the the calculated air volume to the ECU is not actually correct. Causes the lean/rich condition depending on the air intake.

That is my understanding anyway.....

11. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    JimmyBuckets

JimmyBuckets Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 6 speed V-6 sr-5
    I didn't really post to debate. I was simply stating why some of these intakes will show some gain on a dyno, and that it sometimes has less to do with a more free flowing intake, and more to do with modern technology. In simple terms a maf sensor is a pressure sensor. Change the size of the tube its in while keeping the volume of air the same pressure ( or the flow part in "mass air FLOW" ) goes up or down. The engine will decide to add more or less fuel, amongst other thing. An overly lean condition at WOT will certainly cause detonated and the rest is up to fate. It is harder to pop an N/A motor from a lean condition, than a boosted one, but again that wasn't really my point. The point was why they say they are making power is sometimes not really the truth.

Products Discussed in

To Top