Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K&N AirCharger Intake on 2011 Tacoma

Old 07-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
tacoapw is on a distinguished road
EMS:
tacoapw's Tacoma Gallery
K&N AirCharger Intake on 2011 Tacoma

I want to install a K&N AirCharger Intake on my Tacoma and had two questions.

1. Will it void my factory warranty?

2. How much more power does it actually give me?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoapw View Post
I want to install a K&N AirCharger Intake on my Tacoma and had two questions.

1. Will it void my factory warranty?

2. How much more power does it actually give me?
Welcome to TW, there are many thread on this already but, in a nutshell,

1. No, google magnusson moss act
2. Zero. The stock intake is already cold air. Actually, with the way the k&n is set up, you will draw more hot air in compared to stock.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
nathanscot is on a distinguished road
Army: Squad Leader B CO 1-32 IN
Name: Nate
nathanscot's Tacoma Gallery
I had a supercharger put into my truck and I already had a K&N intake and they told me if I wanted to keep my warranty I had to get rid of it and put the original airbox back on. If this is bogus or not, I don't know. I don't really know how to research something like that. I'm just letting you know what happened to me.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
completenirvana is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: USMC Veteran, Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
completenirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Some people on here say it doesn't add any but the K&N Dyno say's it does and I could tell a difference when I put mine in. Maybe my truck is just special
Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by completenirvana View Post
Some people on here say it doesn't add any but the K&N Dyno say's it does and I could tell a difference when I put mine in. Maybe my truck is just special
K&N doesnt go into detail about their dyno run either. Was it colder, different fuel, dirty OEM filter? Some folks on here have dynoed their trucks, and found nowhere near those gains K&N claims. In fact, one guy dynoed his truck with the OEM filter, then no filter at all, and saw a 1.5 hp gain. K&N isnt going to flow more than no filter.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
completenirvana is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: USMC Veteran, Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
completenirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Well I've noticed a difference in mine over the stock one so I like it. No complaints here.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
Damaged Goods
CVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
CVYota's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Volant which had its own boxed in filter, drew air only from the outside, same as the stock, but the difference is the straight shot to the engine without the bends. was it a world of difference? no. would I put it in my new truck, possibly, it made the sound better, (gas milage was still dependent on my driving) it looked good and freed up room under the hood for maybe another battery or compressor, and the choice of air filters and after market prefilters to keep water out are good. But after a year with my new truck without one, I realize it was not a have to have item. I have other things to add first.

I asked my dealership if it would void my warranty before I put it on, they laughed and said no, it wont.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Crappy intake.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
tburd83 is on a distinguished road
tburd83's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think i noticed any HP gains but I do feel like I noticed a MPG gain. Might be that i've been doing a lot of highway driving using cruise control, but I was happy nonetheless.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
K&N is made for maximum flow and with it comes more free flowing air. The OEM filter is designed for maximum protection and filtration which equals restriction. ANYONE who says the OEM filter flows better than a K&N needs to be taken back to High School Auto Tech so you can learn your fundamentals of an engine. That being said K&N does provide a dyno charts of their intake on their website with HP/Torque gains. Some of those tests are also done by a third party research group. My suggestion is someone needs to get on a dyno in order to put this thing to rest.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
K&N is made for maximum flow and with it comes more free flowing air. The OEM filter is designed for maximum protection and filtration which equals restriction. ANYONE who says the OEM filter flows better than a K&N needs to be taken back to High School Auto Tech so you can learn your fundamentals of an engine. That being said K&N does provide a dyno charts of their intake on their website with HP/Torque gains. Some of those tests are also done by a third party research group. My suggestion is someone needs to get on a dyno in order to put this thing to rest.
Nobody says the oem flows better than a K&N. Some dyno tests find a K&N can produce less power especially if you remove the stock cold air with a hot air K&N. Third party research groups have found that a completely restricted air filter doesn't effect MPG, which also says a less restricted air filter doesn't effect your mpg either.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf
Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MPGs? I didn't mention anything about MPG so I'm not sure where that's relevant. Also people who are looking for performance gains could give 2 cents about MPG.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
MPGs? I didn't mention anything about MPG so I'm not sure where that's relevant. Also people who are looking for performance gains could give 2 cents about MPG.
Sorry, the first 2 sentences of my comment was for you, the rest was for tburd83, he feels he noticed a mpg gain though a third party research group like you recommend found no way.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #14

^Gotcha
Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #15
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not paying anyone $.02 to talk about MPG when I can do it on this thread for free, first of all. Thats just stupid.

Secondly, someone looking for performance gains with any sense in their head would realize that swapping out an air filter and some plastic tubing isn't the greatest way to go about improving "performance" when "MPGs don't matter". The whole point of a cold-air intake is to improve the efficiency of your engine, not to turn your truck into a drag racer- it's a bolt-on mod for less than $250, not an engine overhaul.

The fact of the matter is, no matter if the K&N air filter "flows" better, it's still pulling warm engine-bay air into the throttlebody as opposed to the stock set-up, which pulls cold air. If your worried about intake CFM in terms of filter-media density, well... have fun.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
tburd83's Tacoma Gallery
you guys own 4-6 cylinder trucks with 236hp. what's 5 hp going to do? Also, k&N makes a claim that you will improve mpg, i just comented on my experience with it.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
If you believe it works it does if you don't it doesn't. Me I got to see real hard proof not some thing from K&N. That's a lot of money for some thing that just looks cool.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburd83 View Post
you guys own 4-6 cylinder trucks with 236hp. what's 5 hp going to do? Also, k&N makes a claim that you will improve mpg, i just comented on my experience with it.
K&N doesn;t even claim increased mpg.

From their website:

" We certainly understand why it is theoretically possible for a consumer to experience a mileage increase after installing a K&N air filter or intake system, however, we do not go so far as to make a general claim that our air filters and intake systems will provide an increase in mileage."

That can be read as, "we know it can't, and don't want lawsuits we can't win"
Old 07-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Intake. Braaaaaaap!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
tburd83's Tacoma Gallery
You're right, my bad. Just testimonials of other people who though they experienced gains. Either way, i'm over it.