LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

TRD Exhaust after break in period

Old 07-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
chefboyarlee is on a distinguished road
chefboyarlee's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Exhaust after break in period

I had my TRD exhaust installed today. My initial reaction was that I hate it. There was a terrible droning/vibrating sound in the cab at 30-40mph. After about 50 miles today it seems to have toned down slightly. I had read on here that the trd was quiet below 3000rpms which I don't find this to be the case at all. It seems louderst under 25 mph at 2000 rpms.

Typically what happens to the sound over time? How long does this process take?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think it changes,you just get use to it.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Not sure about the TRD but my Banks broke after some time. The tone is cleaner at low to mid rpms instead of raspy.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
i am not expert but i think the packing will losen up and not have as much air over a bottle effect making less noise, my banks quieted down
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Ez2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud of

Navy: Aviation Structural Mechanic (Structures and Hydraulics) VFA-25
Ez2typethis's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had mine installed for about 500 miles, sounds pretty quiet to me. Definitely did not like it right after installation... But it is much more pleasant now. Can barely hear it outside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqCEcV62LA
Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2typethis View Post
Ive had mine installed for about 500 miles, sounds pretty quiet to me. Definitely did not like it right after installation... But it is much more pleasant now. Can barely hear it outside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqCEcV62LA
dude ur truck sounds like a quad.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Ez2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud of

Navy: Aviation Structural Mechanic (Structures and Hydraulics) VFA-25
Ez2typethis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx586 View Post
dude ur truck sounds like a quad.
Yah there was some guys cruising by behind my camera woman... probably shoulda of waited til they passed, but thats my only video of my truck pasing by ATM
Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefboyarlee View Post
I had my TRD exhaust installed today. My initial reaction was that I hate it. There was a terrible droning/vibrating sound in the cab at 30-40mph. After about 50 miles today it seems to have toned down slightly. I had read on here that the trd was quiet below 3000rpms which I don't find this to be the case at all. It seems louderst under 25 mph at 2000 rpms.

I installed a 18" glass pack between the engine and muffler, much better.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefboyarlee View Post

I bought a used TRD from someone who'd driven from TX to Yellowstone and back, so it should have been quite well broken it.

My experience/opinion was:

- idle-1500 - louder, but sounded ricey to me
- 1500-2500 - cab drone
- 2500+ - nice performance v6 exhaust note

I removed it after a couple of weeks as I spend 95% of my time below 2500 rpm and the ricey to droney sound was too much for me.

Exhaust sound is very subjective, everyone hears things differently and either you like it, or you don't. I wouldn't expect the sound to change much, you might adapt to the sound though.