Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust Note Idea

Old 10-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Exhaust Note Idea

So- I've decided- I'll be building a true dual exhaust for my Tacoma. Thanks to KaliTaco-I've worked out some pipe routing issues and I've been inspired to black out the ends.

This is a very obtuse question-BUT- I've been shopping Magnaflow mufflers. I've settled on the round type to be able to fit both in the standard muffler location.

However to get the performance and a great sound- I'm not sure about the muffler lengths or styles. I wanted to see if anyone had tried the round mufflers (Either the Satin Stainless or Race Series).

I'm thinking that a longer, larger diameter muffler will give deeper sound- I'm thinking 2.5 inlet 2.5 outlet. Not sure between a 5,6,or 7 inch diameter muffler.

Okay- So to finish rambling- Anyone have a Race Series or Round Stainless Magnaflow Muffler?? Pros/Cons/Suggestions...Let me know what you think.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
gtz85350 is on a distinguished road
gtz85350's Tacoma Gallery
Any pics of the black tips?? Sounds sick!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, Chris4x4 said the Dynomax mufflers give the most performance and a nice sound
Old 10-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
i also run a dynomax muffler way better then the borla i had on it, went with the super turbo better sound better performance over magnaflow and borla imo
Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
check out will's dynomax super turbo in his build, tacomaman06's build, it sounds sweet!
That's right! I forgot about Will's-it does have that sort of "half GT half bigrig" sound which is perfect for a truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post
i also run a dynomax muffler way better then the borla i had on it, went with the super turbo better sound better performance over magnaflow and borla imo
Wow vt-that's interesting cuz I was under the impression that Borla was the bomb-guess not!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
i went with a 20" muffler well 25" overall and went with 2.5 same as stock pipe i think it sounds awesome
Old 10-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
thats where you need to really ask yourself do you really wanna spend all the extra money and time, i spent $55 for the muffler and i cut mine off and welded it myself just cause i knew i wasnt gonna be taking it off, ive got the 2.7 and i can really notice the difference power and sound
Old 10-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #11

You know there's a certain point where too much freedom in the exhaust becomes the enemy of torque and HP on these V6s. The one inlet-2 outlet system offers a decent amount of increase in power without going overboard. There's a whole phenomenon with exhaust "scavenging" and exhaust "pulsing" and "valve overlap" in play here that I will have Chris4x4 come here and explain so you make an informed decision
Old 10-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
KaliTaco is on a distinguished road
KaliTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i know it will turn out great. my tips was 8 inch but 7 inch would give you more room to work with. if you can..dont get any chrome or polish, stainless tips. because you need to sand them down. but if you have to then get stainless and rough it up with 800 grit sandpaper before painting. cant wait to see pics.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #13

bumped for Chris4x4 to answer
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A "true dual" system will kill your low and mid range power. You "May" see a top end gain. Your exhaust system is not just an outlet for spent gasses, but a tuned system. As the piston moves up to evacuate the chamber of exhaust, the valve opens and the exhaust leaves the cylynder in a "pulse". This puls, since it has mass, is pulling behind it a low pressure zone. This pulse moves down the exhaust as another exhaust valve is opening. As the other valve is opening, the exhaust gasses in its cylynder are now "Sucked" out of the chamber by the low pressure zone behind the first pulse. This cycle repeats. To add, when the exhaust is pulled from the cylynder, a "vaccume" is now formed in it, alowing the Air/fuel charge to be "pulled" into the cylynder. and on and on. With VVT this is kept pretty constant thru the rpm range. ANy changes in the exhaust system have an affect. Some better, many worse. Adding a true dual system to the truck is going to null and void almost all scavenging of the engine, thus you will loose power.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A "true dual" system will kill your low and mid range power. You "May" see a top end gain. Your exhaust system is not just an outlet for spent gasses, but a tuned system. As the piston moves up to evacuate the chamber of exhaust, the valve opens and the exhaust leaves the cylynder in a "pulse". This puls, since it has mass, is pulling behind it a low pressure zone. This pulse moves down the exhaust as another exhaust valve is opening. As the other valve is opening, the exhaust gasses in its cylynder are now "Sucked" out of the chamber by the low pressure zone behind the first pulse. This cycle repeats. To add, when the exhaust is pulled from the cylynder, a "vaccume" is now formed in it, alowing the Air/fuel charge to be "pulled" into the cylynder. and on and on. With VVT this is kept pretty constant thru the rpm range. ANy changes in the exhaust system have an affect. Some better, many worse. Adding a true dual system to the truck is going to null and void almost all scavenging of the engine, thus you will loose power.
I understood every word of that- but never looked that far into the engine to find out about how it would react to a true dual. ::feels a bit ashamed::

I guess I'll be looking a different route now...Thanks chris.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #16
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
I understood every word of that- but never looked that far into the engine to find out about how it would react to a true dual. ::feels a bit ashamed::

I guess I'll be looking a different route now...Thanks chris.
Glad to help!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 AM   #17
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
This is exactly true. But one thing to keep in mind is the length of that pulse. With the DT long tube headers the collector will act as the rebound wall. Anything passed the collector will only have an effect on the back pressure, and in theory the speed of that pulse rebound.

This is why you lose lowend with open exhausts. The pulse/rebound gets out of sync at low rpms (lack of back pressure), but as the RPMs pick up that timing is optimized. Now with forced induction, because there is much more gas that needs to be expelled, you can get away with the open exhaust at low rpms without losing as much lowend.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
This is exactly true. But one thing to keep in mind is the length of that pulse. With the DT long tube headers the collector will act as the rebound wall. Anything passed the collector will only have an effect on the back pressure, and in theory the speed of that pulse rebound.

This is why you lose lowend with open exhausts. The pulse/rebound gets out of sync at low rpms (lack of back pressure), but as the RPMs pick up that timing is optimized. Now with forced induction, because there is much more gas that needs to be expelled, you can get away with the open exhaust at low rpms without losing as much lowend.
I didnt want to go into the length of the pulse and so on....I wanted to just keep it simple. Did a write up a while back on this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ine-basic.html
Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #19
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
I didnt want to go into the length of the pulse and so on....I wanted to just keep it simple. Did a write up a while back on this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ine-basic.html
Article was well put.. very nice.