1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad mpg's

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Honey badger, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Aug 11, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    Honey badger

Honey badger [OP] Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bon
    Kinder, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    02 DC BLACK 3.4
    Ok tire pressure good so nexe thing is to clean the TB in hopes of getting my mpg's back.

2. Aug 11, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    Rhino

Rhino Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    gray wire mod, blacked out, debadged, toolbox foglights, cb in dash, system, bilstein 5100's in front wrapped in eibach coils, 5125's in the rear with 2 inch aal and 1 inch shackle, diff drop kit, extended rear brake line, 8000 lb smittybuilt winch on a custom winch bumper, 2 4 inch 100 watt kc's and 2 6 inch 100 watt kc's on the bumper, sometimes a ladder rack,much more to come
    if your check engine light flashes on and off every once in a while take it to auto zone one day while its on and take it to auto zone and let em plug the little computer

3. Aug 11, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    1Bigbird

1Bigbird Yo! Wat up peeps?

Member:
    winter-peg
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD D-Cab
    You said you have a Scangauge, use it to check the codes.
    I have a OBD II code reader that can give me real time display of the O2 sensor, this may help if you know what to look for.

4. Aug 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    Honey badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bon
    Kinder, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    02 DC BLACK 3.4
    That's for cel codes I have none at the moment. I was asking how to check my o2 sensor.

5. Aug 11, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

You can't check an o2 sensor, it's bs.

6. Aug 12, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    1Bigbird

Member:
    winter-peg
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD D-Cab
    Correct the Scangauge won't help you, but if you can get a good OBD II code reader it can help.

7. Aug 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Honey badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bon
    Kinder, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    02 DC BLACK 3.4
    Ahh I see now. So where did you get yours? I may not know what to look for but a friend of mine is a Toyota tech.

8. Aug 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    1Bigbird

Member:
    winter-peg
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD D-Cab
    He can tell you everything about your truck, correct?
    Got mine at Princess Auto.

9. Aug 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    sledbert

sledbert Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 4x4
    A couple thoughts for you.....
    MPG; did you factor in the diameter/circumference difference from your stock tire size to what you have now? From stock to a 33" the factor will equal a couple MPG correction value. You can program your scan guage for this difference.
    O2 Sensor; You could pull a spark plug or two & look at the color, a nice light brown (dry cardboard color) is good. If the plugs look good, your O2 sensors are also good.

10. Aug 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM
    G3T LO5T

G3T LO5T Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    4" Maxtrac Spindles 3" All Pro Leafs 5100's Headlight Projectors HID Fogs K&N Short Ram Intake Flowmaster Exhaust PA Alpine
    This worked on my old car...

1).Pump tires higher PSI
    (Think of riding a bike with low PSI tires, Its harder to pedal and gain speed and if you stop pedaling, you will come to a stop faster than if your tires were pumped higher. Meaning lower PSI tires will make you tired faster,which translates to your engine and gas usage)

2).Use Lucas Lubricant fuel saver
    (Especially if you have higher mileage)

3).Reset your ECU Leave negative terminal of battery disconnected for like 5-10 minutes to reset everything and then start and leave running for about 3-5 minutes without driving.
    (Do this everytime you install major components in your engine like an intake or exhaust so your ECU can learn your driving habits accompanying the new parts.)

I gained like 3-5mpg's in my lancer after intake exhaust and lighter rims and gained about 3-5 mpg's meaning 30-50 extra miles for that 10 gallon tank
    And I would do this before a trip from SD to LA going about 75-80mph because that was my normal driving habit. After the ECU reset, the key is to drive how you normally drive so it learns how to obtain the best MPG according to your habits.
    Sorry if this post is confusing

11. Sep 3, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    Shootingairborne

Shootingairborne Member

Member:
    Gretna, VA
    Just a question. Did you run the Seafoam in 1/3rds (Fuel, intake, and crank case)? Did you do that after you installed new filters and plugs? If your truck smoked bad it burnt off old stuff. This could dirty up your plugs and filters.....

Lastly are you 100% sure your plugs are gapped right?

Good luck.
    Aaron

Products Discussed in

To Top