Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Bad mpg's

Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
Bad mpg's

Last week I change my plugs, put in an OEM air filter, changed my fuel filter, and seafoamed. With my lift and tires going about 70 mph to and from work I would get about 15.5-16 mpg's now my scanguage is showing about 14 mpg's and when I checked it last I only got about 14.5 average. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on? Also I have a low idle with it in gear and stopped it is around 500 rpm's any help?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
idk but i get 21 mpg's at 80 mph lol
sounds like maybe you drove differently this tank?
I wish I got that. But you have stock tires and no lift lol a good reason why you get 21. I have not noticed that I am driving differently it is all highway to and from so steadt 65-70 mph all the way. I know that is not the best speed to go when trying to get better mpg's.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
neither is 80 lol esp. in a 4x4 with shell and full of camping gear.

and yes i was going 5 over the speed limit i know im bad.

how big are your tires?
Yea me being 4x4 is not helping lol at all but before I could get 16 out of it. My tires are 305/70/16 I think that is about a 33-12.5
Old 08-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
have you had your 02 sensors checked?
No I have not. How do I have them checked?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Check your air pressure! Raise it closer to the tire's max... 32 if stock BFG's (a 35 psi tire).

My mileage was below 16 mpg recently, and while I am usually good at checking the pressure... it was after our last Baja trip when I did... and perhaps due to hot air when I set them at 35 psi, but when I checked this weekend it was down to 30 psi... The Hankooks are a 44 psi max. tire and I found 35-40 to be ideal. I put the fronts at 38 and the backs at 40 and I got 17.4 mpg last fill up (was mostly freeway driving).
Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Check your air pressure! Raise it closer to the tire's max... 32 if stock BFG's (a 35 psi tire).

My mileage was below 16 mpg recently, and while I am usually good at checking the pressure... it was after our last Baja trip when I did... and perhaps due to hot air when I set them at 35 psi, but when I checked this weekend it was down to 30 psi... The Hankooks are a 44 psi max. tire and I found 35-40 to be ideal. I put the fronts at 38 and the backs at 40 and I got 17.4 mpg last fill up (was mostly freeway driving).
I think the max on my tires are 50 psi I have Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's I run about 36 in them.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to thread jack but I got 20mpg last weekend , highway miles but still good
Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Good for gas mileage, but bad for tire wear. The middles of the tires will wear much more quickly than the rest of the tire. Also you will get less traction doing that, especially wet traction. You will hydroplane much easier. Best way to set tire pressure is the chalk test. If they are underinflated you will get less gas mileage and outside of tires will wear more, overinflation, see first two sentences of paragraph.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraT View Post
Sorry to thread jack but I got 20mpg last weekend , highway miles but still good
Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i get 9... like a boss
Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
TRD
prerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunner32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alan
prerunner32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea Im way stoked. I got 21.1 (Stock wheels and tires though) City/Highway 50/50. Super excited to see those numbers out of a Double Cab long bed.

Op, have you had your odometer recalibrated? Also yea, check tire preasure.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner32 View Post
Yea Im way stoked. I got 21.1 (Stock wheels and tires though) City/Highway 50/50. Super excited to see those numbers out of a Double Cab long bed.

Nope have done nothing with the odometer and since I am at work now don't have a chance to check the pressure. As soon as I get home I will though and then look into having my 02 sensors looked at.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Good for gas mileage, but bad for tire wear. The middles of the tires will wear much more quickly than the rest of the tire. Also you will get less traction doing that, especially wet traction. You will hydroplane much easier. Best way to set tire pressure is the chalk test. If they are underinflated you will get less gas mileage and outside of tires will wear more, overinflation, see first two sentences of paragraph.
Not true on all tires... as I said "close to the max. rating" The chalk test will tell if your wear is even or not.

My Dynapros at 40 psi are wearing EVEN at 8,000+ miles (they were rotated at 5,000 miles). They are 44 psi tires.

I am not saying to go to or above the max. tire rating (it is on the sidewall)... but close vs. under-inflated.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #16

I feel that with running about 36-38 psi has done me good. I get good mpg's and tire wear is good also. I have around 40,000 miles in these tires and still so much tread left. I may be low on the pressure in them and that may be why I am getting worse mpg's it is just funny since I did the work to my truck that I then noticed it.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #17
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbm32 View Post
Nope have done nothing with the odometer and since I am at work now don't have a chance to check the pressure. As soon as I get home I will though and then look into having my 02 sensors looked at.

Still curious on how you check an o2 sensor. Maybe mister Rhino will enlighten us. Then I always thought the rule of thumb was 100k miles or a check engine light would be the replacement intervals for them.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner32 View Post

I am super stoked too, since I am running 33x12.50s and a S/C....
Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #19

Quote:
I am super stoked too, since I am running 33x12.50s and a S/C....
Damn you are getting that with the S/C hmmm maybe I should put mine on and see if that helps. Also I am double cab not much but still more weight.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #20

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not true on all tires... as I said "close to the max. rating" The chalk test will tell if your wear is even or not.

My Dynapros at 40 psi are wearing EVEN at 8,000+ miles (they were rotated at 5,000 miles). They are 44 psi tires.

I am not saying to go to or above the max. tire rating (it is on the sidewall)... but close vs. under-inflated.

Agreed. With how many factors there are in setting the tire pressure, there is really no set pressure you can really use. It is trial and error. I personally have found the chalk test to be the best. It accounts for the kind of tires and sizes and the weight of the vehicle. I had a truck with 285 nittos on it and the rears ran at 40 and the front left ran at 37 and front right ran at 38. Trial and error.