Notices

URD TCAI copycat for cheap.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
PVT Clark is on a distinguished road
Army: firefighter, private first class (E3), 463rd engineering detachment
Name: chase
PVT Clark's Tacoma Gallery
URD TCAI copycat for cheap.

does anyone know a way to mock the piping of the urd tcai? i already have a cold air intake, i just wish to relocate it so as to mock the placement of the URD TCAI and actually get some cold air... possibly using cheap spectre aluminum tubing? i need angles, lenths, and tube sizes....any help is much appreciated. also has anyone ever used thermal wrapping on the CAI piping? would this work or even be a noticable difference?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
i'd like to know the same. when i used to own a trailblazer ss, we had a vendor on there that sold a cold air intake called the "ieatsrt8". all it was, was bigger tubing all the way to the throttle body
Old 08-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
bcroach78 is on a distinguished road
Army: EOD
bcroach78's Tacoma Gallery
It shouldnt be to hard to go out to your truck and take measurments and stuff yourself. You know you have to cut the metal where the TCAI goes through and around to the front. I also dont believe that the TCAI will fit without an aftermarket grill that sits flush with the front of the plastic stock outter piece (ie grillcraft grill). Heat wrapping in theory should work, however I dont believe the air is in the tubing long enough to really make it practical. URD will give you a military discount if you just want to buy one.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
You have a couple of options. Spectre makes a bunch of air intake parts/pipes that you can use, others do to, but I found the Spectre parts to be cheapest. I would suspect that by the time you buy everything you need, it might not be cost effective. Other way is to buy some aluminum tubing and get it bent, or buy it pre-bent. I bought some aluminum tubing off of ebay a while back and it worked great for me. Don't forget that you will need a place to put the sensor.

As for the wrapping, it's kind of a give and take thing, if you add mass to the intake pipes, when in low throttle situations, the pipe and wrapping will heat up, and the wrapping will actually hold more heat and make cool down take more time. If you spend less time in low throttle, then the wrapping may help.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
just start fitting pipe and measuring