1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD TCAI copycat for cheap.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by PVT Clark, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Aug 13, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    PVT Clark

PVT Clark [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chase
    Missouri City
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma 4x4 4.0L
    train horns, rhinoliner bumper and fenders, 3" ProComp lift, HID's, GT Racing seat covers, smoked tail lights.
    does anyone know a way to mock the piping of the urd tcai? i already have a cold air intake, i just wish to relocate it so as to mock the placement of the URD TCAI and actually get some cold air... possibly using cheap spectre aluminum tubing? i need angles, lenths, and tube sizes....any help is much appreciated. also has anyone ever used thermal wrapping on the CAI piping? would this work or even be a noticable difference?:notsure:

2. Aug 13, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    i'd like to know the same. when i used to own a trailblazer ss, we had a vendor on there that sold a cold air intake called the "ieatsrt8". all it was, was bigger tubing all the way to the throttle body

3. Aug 13, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    bcroach78

bcroach78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crew cab TRD L/B S/C
    It shouldnt be to hard to go out to your truck and take measurments and stuff yourself. You know you have to cut the metal where the TCAI goes through and around to the front. I also dont believe that the TCAI will fit without an aftermarket grill that sits flush with the front of the plastic stock outter piece (ie grillcraft grill). Heat wrapping in theory should work, however I dont believe the air is in the tubing long enough to really make it practical. URD will give you a military discount if you just want to buy one.

4. Aug 15, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    You have a couple of options. Spectre makes a bunch of air intake parts/pipes that you can use, others do to, but I found the Spectre parts to be cheapest. I would suspect that by the time you buy everything you need, it might not be cost effective. Other way is to buy some aluminum tubing and get it bent, or buy it pre-bent. I bought some aluminum tubing off of ebay a while back and it worked great for me. Don't forget that you will need a place to put the sensor.

As for the wrapping, it's kind of a give and take thing, if you add mass to the intake pipes, when in low throttle situations, the pipe and wrapping will heat up, and the wrapping will actually hold more heat and make cool down take more time. If you spend less time in low throttle, then the wrapping may help.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Aug 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    just start fitting pipe and measuring

Products Discussed in

To Top