Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K&N sucks, Literally

Old 08-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Sanders17 is a jewel in the roughSanders17 is a jewel in the roughSanders17 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Reed
Sanders17's Tacoma Gallery
K&N sucks, Literally

I was expecting a better throttle response but all i got was a better sound. Anyone got any ideas to improve it without installing an s/c
Old 08-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders17 View Post
I was expecting a better throttle response but all i got was a better sound. Anyone got any ideas to improve it without installing an s/c
Not surprising. The stock intake is already cold-air.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
The best way to improve it is to take it off and sell it, then put your stock intake on. You can actually change the order of that any which way you'd like with the same results. Go ahead and try that and let us know what you find.

Edit: Sorry, my mistake. You WILL have to take it off BEFORE you put your stock intake back on, you can't switch those. However, you can sell it at any point, either before, in the middle, or after.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Not surprising. The stock intake is already cold-air.
This ^^^^

Most people think they are getting a gain in HP because these "cold air" intakes dont have resonators, and allow the intake sound to be heard, and in some cases, actually amplified (as the plastic used reverberates, and makes it seem louder), when all they are doing is sucking hot air from the engine bay.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
The best way to improve it is to take it off and sell it, then put your stock intake on. You can actually change the order of that any which way you'd like with the same results. Go ahead and try that and let us know what you find.

Edit: Sorry, my mistake. You WILL have to take it off BEFORE you put your stock intake back on, you can't switch those. However, you can sell it at any point, either before, in the middle, or after.
Damn, you caught your mistake before I could call you out on it.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Sanders17 is a jewel in the roughSanders17 is a jewel in the roughSanders17 is a jewel in the rough
Yeah ive noticed. Thanks. Im definitely changing something.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This ^^^^

Most people think they are getting a gain in HP because these "cold air" intakes dont have resonators, and allow the intake sound to be heard, and in some cases, actually amplified (as the plastic used reverberates, and makes it seem louder), when all they are doing is sucking hot air from the engine bay.
Howard Johnson is right!

Old 08-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.urdusa.com/Electronics-Pe...duct_info.html

This is your only hope, then do headers, performance Y pipe and exhaust, and that will help greatly.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
I was just looking into that MAF Cal. but is that all id need to install it without screwing up my truck. Sorry i dont know a whole lot about electronics in trucks.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Sell the crappy intake.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders17 View Post
I was just looking into that MAF Cal. but is that all id need to install it without screwing up my truck. Sorry i dont know a whole lot about electronics in trucks.
Well, Then i would suggest putting on the stock Intake, and leaving it be. With the MAF calibrator, you have to splice the ECU harness and solder in place, not for the novice DIY individual. Anytime you start with power adders, you run the risk of damage.
Pay to Play!!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you still want an intake look at the AFE stage 2 SI, URD TCAI or old style TRD.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Coincidently, I'm selling my AFE stage 2 SI because I just bought an S/C
Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #15

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Naturally Aspirated Power!

This will get you where you need to be if you dont not want a super charger!!