Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Magnaflow droning sound

Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
jtt is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
jtt's Tacoma Gallery
Magnaflow droning sound

So I just installed a magnaflow exhaust on my 4x4 and around 3000 rpm there is an extremely loud drone throughout the cabin. I was wondering if the sound slightly decreases once it is broken in, or am I just s.o.l.

Also does welding the muffler to the exhaust pipes decrease the noise level?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
You have found the resonant frequency of your exhaust, get used to it.
Welding of the joint will only help it last longer, not change the sound(unless it leaks like crazy).
Old 08-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
jtt is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
jtt's Tacoma Gallery
The only other thing I've done to the exhaust/intake is replace the stock air filter with the afe pro dry filter. I kept the exhaust exit behind the rear passenger side tire
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Big D is on a distinguished road
Name: daniel
Big D's Tacoma Gallery
I put the magna flow on mine and the samething happened, droning from hell. I'm gonna try a resonator, or some one told me a glasspack will do the job for half the price. I'm going to ask the muffle shop about it tomarrow. good luck with yours.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
I cant see you truck info from the iPhone interface. On my truck it is only noticeable on acceleration going up hill or when I get on the gas. Cruising at 65-70 I don't notice it.

if your at 3k Rpms and on the highway, your probably going 80+ mph if you have a v6
Old 12-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
ourtoy is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
ourtoy's Tacoma Gallery
volant cai made my my drone go away. Love the sound of my magnaflow offroad dumped infront of the axle.
Had afe dry filter with the charcoal filter removed
originaly, had bad drone in the cab
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
well i mean if you guys really dont like your magnaflow you could trade me for stock