Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Best y pipe for stock headers and cat back?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Curtis
CurboCycles's Tacoma Gallery
Best y pipe for stock headers and cat back?

Long story short, I'm wanting to improve the sound and HP of my taco without changing headers. I have a afe cai and Gibson cat back, I plan to get a maf after selecting a y pipe.

Can anyone compare the dt vs urd y-pipe? Which is louder? Which sounds better? I know dt headers combined with aftermarket sounds raspy, but I'm keeping stock headers.

Does the urd y pipe lose bottom end on a n/a engine? Can anyone provide actual dyno numbers on the improvement of HP after adding pipe to stock headers? I've read a LOT on this forum and others but there are no clear cut answers. Thx!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Opening up your exhaust at all on these trucks will result in a loss of low end torque. I really am not sure why you would want to change out the y-pipe and not the headers? You will realize much better gains with headers over a y-pipe.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
In efforts to have more clearance and a flatter bottom with skid plates people will maybe only want to ditch the low hanging cross-over/y pipe.

I want the pipe bomb to go with my TRD exhaust so I can achieve the above.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Memario, you ask a valid question. I have a limited budget and am wanting to do other things than improve sound, HP (I.e. Rear suspension, powder coat black wheels bronze, tint windows....and buy maf). Also, the troubles involved with adding headers (emissions, installation, increased temperatures under the hood in the az heat) are all things id like to avoid.

I've read that many people feel a y pipe adds little HP and maybe the best thing is for me to wait til i can afford headers instead, but I was hoping I could hear from someone who is running a dt or urd y pipe on stock headers.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And one last thing... If you are worried about emissions, you know that the y-pipes remove your rear cats right? That won't help your cause either...
Old 08-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
And one last thing... If you are worried about emissions, you know that the y-pipes remove your rear cats right? That won't help your cause either...
Right, but I can easily change out the y pipe when headed to emissions. Not so much for headers.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurboCycles View Post
Right, but I can easily change out the y pipe when headed to emissions. Not so much for headers.
I suppose so