1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding TRD Supercharger not sure what size pulley to go with

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by gneitzke, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Aug 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    gneitzke

gneitzke [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Offroad 4x4
    I finally hit the 5yr/60k mark so it is time to add the supercharger that I have been waiting for. I figured now is as good as any to stop lurking and start posting. :D

My truck in a 2006 4x4 and so far the only pieces I have ordered is Doug Thorley long tubes, AFE intake, and 255 LPH fuel pump. These pieces should who up this Friday so I am going to go ahead and install them. In a week or so the valve train will go to IPT to the upgrade. More or less I want all the "extra" prep done before putting the supercharger on.

The supercharger is going to be ordered in ~3 weeks once my bonus shows up. Here are the current options I am looking at and I am at a bit of a stuck point and could use some insight. (note the dealer will charge me 110 for the reflash)

1.) TRD Supercharger + 2.8 URD Pulley (using reflash from the dealer)
    2.) TRD Supercharger + 2.8 URD Pulley + larger injectors and mapecu3 (no dealer reflash)
    3.) TRD Supercharger + 2.7 URD Pulley + Larger injectors and mapecu3 (no dealer reflash).
    4.) TRD Supercharger + 2.8 URD Pulley + NST Pulley + Larger Injectors and mapecu3 (no dealer reflash, is equivalent of about 2.6 inch pulley)
    This is my daily driver and I can only get 91 octane around Seattle (I am about 30 miles east of Seattle). The temp rarely passes 70 degrees up here and most of the time is between 40-60. The elevation is about 100-400 foot. I do use my truck to tow/haul around town and over the pass so it needs to do that, I am open to getting the 7th injector as well if needed.

My concerns are that option #4 will be the equivalent of a 2.6 inch pulley and will generate around 9.5-11.5 boost, this also has a new crankshaft pulley and people haven't really ran that long enough to know any negative effects. The 2.7 inch pulley sounds appealing but I have to send the snout off to get ground down, this isn't such a big deal if I do this before putting the charger on.

More or less I don't want to throw a rod and blow the engine, but I want to maximize the safe limit with 91 octane and lower ambient temps.

Does anyone have any opinions on the setup(s) or run something similar? I thought I would start over here first before heading over to XR forums :)

Thanks
    - Gary

2. Aug 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    My opinion: Option 2

3. Aug 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    SAIRS

SAIRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2012 Double Cab LB TRD SPORT
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....
    Why did you wait until 60k? did it have something to do with breaking in the engine? Is there a reason you cant have it supercharged with 0 miles on the odometer (or at least a thousand or so miles on the motor allowing it to break in)?

4. Aug 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    5yr/60k is when the powertrain warranty expires

5. Aug 21, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    gneitzke

gneitzke [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Offroad 4x4
    The truck is actually at 50k, but the 5 year warranty is up and I didn't want to do any large changes until after this warranty was gone just to give the dealer less reason to hassle me. Turns out they are replacing the front diff (it has the infamous vibe) under the power train warranty so that is a plus. I also used the extra cash to pay off my truck (which I did last year) and last years upgrade was 5100 + AAL 3 inch lift... this year time to boost :)

Products Discussed in

To Top