Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Should I take "EZ Lube" seriously?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Should I take "EZ Lube" seriously?

So I took my truck into "EZ Lube" today to get the oil changed and they said that my trans fluid is really dirty and needs to be flushed, my rear diff has metal shavings in it, and my radiator needs to be flushed too cuz there's "corrosion" on one of the tubes. Then they quoted me $500 to fix it all. Should I look into these problems or are they just trying to get my money?

Edit: my truck only has 56k miles on it I don't think i should be running into these problems yet... or should i?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I wouldn't let a place like that change my oil or even clean my windows.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Meh, look into it, But don't let them do any of the work!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
id take it somewhere else. I like to take my truck to the dealer or a mom and pop shop cause a dealer knows what they are talking about and mom and pop shops normally wont screw you over. I would never take my truck to a giffy or ez lube
Old 08-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure a retarded monkey could change the oil in a car/truck... and obviously if i'm getting extensive work done to my tuck i'll have a more credible place do it but thats not my question... Should i be worried about my diff/ trans?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx586 View Post
I'm pretty sure a retarded monkey could change the oil in a car/truck... and obviously if i'm getting extensive work done to my tuck i'll have a more credible place do it but thats not my question... Should i be worried about my diff/ trans?
Worried, no. But it is time to change your diff fluid if it hasn't been done...
Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
how do they know there are metal shavings in the rear diff??? youd need to drain it to really see
Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats not my question... Should i be worried about my diff/ trans?
Trans fluid can have discoloration at your mileage if you've done alot of towing......but I wonder how they know you having shavings in your rear diff. without breaking it open.....sounds fishy.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't trust any drive-through oil change place for my life. You have to have ZERO experience with vehicles to get a job there. I'd take it to experts, or the closest thing to that. Unfortunately, that may be a dealership.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
how do they know there are metal shavings in the rear diff??? youd need to drain it to really see
x2?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #12

Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Trans fluid can have discoloration at your mileage if you've done alot of towing......but I wonder how they know you having shavings in your rear diff. without breaking it open.....sounds fishy.
Yeah I asked if they drained the fluid and he said they removed the plug (I'm assuming the fill plug otherwise the fluid would drain right?) and there was metal shavings on it... ?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing... and I think you have your answer about the credibility of EZ Lube. I'd look into getting the rear diff fluid changed though. 50k miles is about where you should have it done. A transmission flush couldn't hurt, I plan to do mine at 60k miles. No comment on the radiator, I don't mess with those.

Personally, I don't think they checked any of those fluids and it just popped up in their screen as 'recommended' for a vehicle with your mileage.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I asked if they drained the fluid and he said they removed the plug (I'm assuming the fill plug otherwise the fluid would drain right?) and there was metal shavings on it... ?
not likely... they are just trying to solicit work from you...

youd have to remove the drain...

at your mileage you should do a full soup to nuts service

60k service includes diff oil change, trans fluid change, rad flush, and a few other small things, plugs etc

Just go to a reputable shop, not a drive through place like others have said
Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are the first gen plugs magnetic? Get the rear diff fluid changed if it hasn't been done before but not by that place. I don't trust places like that at all.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Check it yourself and see if there's any shavings. Have you ever had your diff fluid changed before? I mean, Your truck is an 01', it wouldnt be a bad idea to get it changed.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
EZ lube? Is this a Trojan product or a shop?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
clothar is on a distinguished road
clothar's Tacoma Gallery
I would have a look at all the stuff they mentioned. I was told on a vehicle inspection that the brakes and power steering needed to be flushed. When i got home an looked at the fluids they were both clean and free of dirt/burnt fluid.
It really pissed me off that they told me that when it was obvious that they didn't even look at the fluids.
Also how would they know that you had metal shavings in your diff? They would have to look at the magnet on the drain plug and wouldn't they have to drain your diff to look at said plug?
You probably do have metal shavings in your diff but nothing to get worried about some metal shavings are expected through wear and tear the only time to get worried it when there are big shards.
So have a look and if they are legitimate problems (which I doubt based on your mileage) but yeah good luck i think your truck will give you thousands more miles without problems.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
yota new.o is on a distinguished road

Name: joe
yota new.o's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ha ha very good point sir i would look into it but do it under the supervision of someone knowlegable. if you plan on owning this truck for a long time you should get comfortable doing the maintenance on it.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #20
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
I would be pissed they looked at stuff you didn't ask them to,
Thats what you take it to a trusted mechanic for,
what if they stripped your diff fill plug? or when they put it back on it was some kid with
an impact that was all torque happy?