Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Exhaust reverberator tip

Old 08-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Question Exhaust reverberator tip

I have been looking at exhaust tips and some of them are thicker double walled with what looks like holes along the inside of the double wall and insulation between the double wall. I think they are called "reverberators".
I like the sound of my truck and would like to enhance it - what do these reverberators do for me?
I have seen these for years but never really paid attention to them.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
I would also like to know this. I know different cuts of an exhaust tip will give you a different sound, but I always wondered what those little holes, or whatever, were for.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Ill join in also. Never really understood what they were for neither. Just assumed that it was all BS, make it look cool so people will buy it lol!! But interesting to see if it makes a difference since Im about to redo my current exhaust system.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
removable baffle?
No, it's not a baffle, it kinda looks like the inside of the exhaust on my quad. Like a screen with holes...
Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
matts11 will become famous soon enoughmatts11 will become famous soon enough
matts11's Tacoma Gallery
Those are called resonating tips. There is some sort of insulating material between the wall of the tip and the "holes." I think the theory is that they some how resonate the sound. I personally doubt that work--just something that will absorb water and accelerate rust on the inside of the tip.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts11 View Post
Those are called resonating tips. There is some sort of insulating material between the wall of the tip and the "holes." I think the theory is that they some how resonate the sound. I personally doubt that work--just something that will absorb water and accelerate rust on the inside of the tip.
That's what I am afraid of. It would be nice however if it really works and make the truck sound even better. I was thinking that the "resonating" would be kind of like an echo and give it more of a soft V8 sound.