1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upping My Gear Ratio to 4.56 and adding a True Trac

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by roxspin72, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Sep 4, 2011 at 5:56 AM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 [OP] Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Ok, not sure if performance and tuning is the right forum for this question, but in all retrospect; I am looking to increase performance as in power to the wheels to include traction...

I already have a quote from ECGS for install of the 4.56 Ring and Pinion set. Most of you already know my set-up; TRD SC and the whole nine yards. I am not looking to wheel anymore. I did not dump this much cash into my truck to get-er all banged up, "To each his own".

My question:

with my minor lift and running my 285/60/18's, will there be a night and day difference in power to the wheels after the 4.56 gear swap? Also, will the True Trac LSD add more traction, or just be more reliable in the long run?

Reason I ask is this swap is pricey, gear install alone running about $1600, then add the price for the true trac. So I just wanted TW members opinion on how this will help a Boost Junkie enjoy the added power to the motor without being limited by the heavier & larger wheel diameter I am running.

Yes I know if "I wanted a sports car I should of got one". Well, I will save that for another day. But, I have no regrets with my set up, just want to find a way to unleash the power that the motor is pushing; and I think attacking the gearing and traction issues might be the key.

Let me know,

Thanks...

2. Sep 4, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Your seat of the pants dyno will certainly show much increase based on your gearing. I cannot comment on the Tru track as I have no experience with it.

Gearing down will allow you to put that power to use. Your train of thought is correct in addressing a traction problem. But I'm affraid that gearing down will increase your wheel spin, especially on road with All Terrain tires (wich I assume you have.) A good LSD could help with this but at some point the abundance of power will just be too much at which time tires are the next step in getting traction. When setting up a fast car thats the route I usually ask people to go when in your situation as I understand it, a solid motor, good stock transmission. Tires are the only things contacting the road thus they are very important in getting and keeping traction.

3. Sep 4, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    2005 and up TRD Sport 4x4's come stock with 4.11 gears Correct? Soo, swapping to 4.56, would that be gearing up or down? My larger and wider than stock wheel set-up puts me at about 32" diameter with 11.5" width/contact with grround. This plus the heavier than stock rim, should be a reason to do a Gear swap:confused:.

4. Sep 4, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    The numbers going numerically up are reffered to as gearing down.
    I believe the 4 bangers get the 4.10 gears and our V6's get 3.73 stock.

You are correct about wanting to change your gearing because installing the larger/taller tires you effectively changed your stock gear ratio to a shorter numerically smaller gear. It would take (i'm not calculating this going with guesses for a bit) a 4.10 gear to get your truck feeling like the stock 3.73 gears. Your new 4.56 gears will be similar to a 4.10 give or take a bit.

Take your stock gears times your stock tire height then take that answer and divide it by your new tire. That answer is your new gear ratio.
    29" tall tire X 3.73 stock gear = 108.17 divided by 33" new tire= 3.277 actual gear.

So for you take your stock tire times your new gear and divide that by your new tire That will be the gear ratio your truck will drive like it has.

5. Sep 4, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Thanks for that info. Makes sense now.

Wont be a while til I do this. I dont get back until later this year. Im planning on this so just doing the research first.

will keep TW posted when done.

Laters...

6. Sep 4, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    (STOCK gears w/current tire set-up) 30.56 x 3.73= 113.98 / 31.46= 3.62
    (PLAN 1) 30.56 x 4.10= 125.29 / 31.46= 3.98
    (PLAN 2) 30.56 x 4.56= 139.35 / 31.46= 4.42

Looking at my gear ratio with current wheel & tire set up; I am loosing power...

question now is: Will plan 1 be enough? Or go with Plan 2?

I read some good info from Jandrews on another Post, and it seems that being Im not running 33's, 4.56 will reduce my topend speed by a considerable amount.

Guess Im just trying to grasp, if my goal is to regain lost power, than Gearing with new tire set up should be aimed at achieving as close to what I would be geared at when Gears and tires were stock.

Let me know TW. And Bump on some input about the True Trac LSD option.

Also, thanks Luk...

7. Sep 4, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Your top speed will be limited by the ECU. However, your speedo will be off, so it would cause you to hit it sooner. With 32" tires (285/60/18), 4:10's would be more than enough to get a better than factory power delivery. In fact, with 4.10's and 33" tires, one would still be a little bit over geared. IMHO, 4.56's are a little much for a daily driver, and 32" tires. BUT....you will have a great off road gear ratio.

8. Sep 4, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    What is your goal for this truck? I know you said the gears would limit your top speed but in actuality how often will you be doing your top speed? My way of thinking is you can be extremely quick in day to day driving and even track driving, quater mile of course, as you won't reach your top speed in 1/4 of a mile I wouldn't think. I don't know your truck as well as you do. I think our trucks top out at around 106 or someting in that region, as I typed that I realized that you may be able to do so in your truck. You'll just have to play with the numbers and make an educated guess.
    Having a dyno sheet would possibly help you if you can find where you are making power in relation to RPM's then manipulet the gear, and tire height until you get what you want.

9. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    But, I have to get this feedback and role with the punches...:D

I did some research, and here is what I came up with...

If I go with 4.11 Gears I end up paying $1700-ish; for install and come up with a 3.98 Gear Ratio (G/R)...

• Not Bad compared to my current set up leaving me with: 3.62 G/R
    I have looked into optimizing all aspects of performance due to my SC set up...

Here is my Plan of Action:

• Purchase the TR-2036 Lowering Kit from Tundra Racing... ($525-ish)
    • Purchase new tires sized at 275-55-18's... ($550-ish)
    • New G/R= 3.83... Lower than Stock, Increased Performance & New Look/Handling for my Taco...:cool:
    • Sell My practically new 285/60/18 Tires and Eibach 1.75 Lift springs... = Free Install of Lift and Tire replace Mount and Balance.
    This saves me about $600-ish dollars compared to a 4.56 0r 4.11 parts and install purchase, which may not be adaquate for a daily driver.

I now can use that extra cash to purchase a True trac LSD.

• Same Price (AVG)
    • New Look
    • New Tires
    • Better Handling
    • Increased Power to the wheels
    What's up TW... Am I on crack or am I on to something...

Note: I have no admiration to 4Wheel my truck anymore unless it's flat dirt or sand:p

Soo, I am going to take the punches, but please be subjective with facts and intel...

I dont care if Someone thinks dropping a 4x4 is wack.. Blah Blah Blah... It's a 4x4 X-runner/My Truck... LOL...

Endstate: Let me know if Im missing something... Or if this has been tried and failed... We are here to educate and encourage, not insult..

Thanks TW, let the comments begin:cool:

10. Sep 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    lol thats fucking funny. But like you said its your truck and if I am able to help you I will.
    Reading you new plan I see no adverse ideas. Everything seems to be forward moving towards having a fast truck. No matter what in the future you will regear physically, its how things work and your truck is a prime example. We have a desire to want more, its endless. Your a 4x4 so at the track you will have very little issue with traction, i'm speaking of drag racing, not track days. All wheel drive and 4wheel drive are very different. I can't wait to see how this thing looks and hear about its performance. TW will be an excellent place for you to keep track of your mods and their affects.

11. Sep 14, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    You have been offering very helpful, open minded feedback...

Looking at the info you and Chris4x4 have offered, it seems that with this new plan I will be getting more for my money, and the originallity, at least for most of my area; will be priceless. Alot of people say a 4x4 X-runner would be awesome. Not exactly what im trying to achieve, but having this new stance and gear ratio is promising...:D

12. Sep 14, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Are you gonna b=give it a X runner body kit?

13. Sep 14, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Eventually you'll almost have an X-runner. The front valance will be useful to depreciate the wind resistance, it'll force the air around the outside of your truck as opposed to under and into the front and rear tires. If or when you get one make certain it is wider than your front tires, its goal is to push that air around them not into them. You'll also need a very aggressive suspension setup for the rear to keep those rear wheels pushed down into the blacktop, not a good daily ride but ideal for high speed traction. You may just be able to engage 4wd to help with this or add weight to the bed of the truck. The 4wd and weight would be temp. fixes depending on how serious you intend to get.
    Needless to say but I can't wait to see this thing.

14. Sep 14, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Um...engaging the 4wd on dry pavement is a great way to grenade your transfer case.

You're going to install 4.56 both front and rear right? Seems like it would be more cost effective to sell the truck and buy an X-runner.

15. Sep 14, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ^ yeah, your going to be very helpful. Go ahead and read through the entire thing and you'll be up to speed. Then come back and comment.

16. Sep 14, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    werty engages and disengages his 4x4 on the pavement at the track more often, and under more stress than anyone i know and he has around 80k miles i believe and has had no transcase issues. I know he has has a valve upgrade in his a/t.

17. Sep 14, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Just helping him save himself a lot of money. Also why not start with the right platform to begin with rather than spending countless hours and dollars to make something work that's not really designed to do what he wants to accomplish.

4WD is NOT AWD.

4WD on pavement = transfer case go BOOM!

18. Sep 14, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ^ Genius I say. No one said all wheel drive and 4wd were the same.
    This is his truck and thus the correct platform for what he wants to do with it.

In order to be helpful you answer the questions asked not go off on a tangent.
    Not to mention we are derailing his thread so get back on topic or move topics. The info in this thread is on point thus far with the exception of people thinking a transfer case will explode if engaged on blacktop. This is only to be done in a straight line as in drag racing.

19. Sep 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Luk gets it...

And chris4x4... Not a bad idea, not sure if it was meant to be sarcastic; but Luk puts up a good point. However, not realy sure I am going to be that dedicated to the strip. I will be looking to reduce body role in the future w/a rear sway bar.

For those worring about my cash, and platforms; dont.

And if you are comparing spending a $1000 to increase performance giving a new stance that almost mimics that of the X-runer platform:

To the amount it would cost to remove all performance: TRD Blower, APR Cams, Fuel pump upgrade, NST pullies, Clutch/Flywhee & PDM Sleeve kit...

Dang I could keep going. But think about it, lets say I do it. Some I can do on my own, most I dont have tools, uninstall reinstall of a clutch and flywheel set up alone will cost about $800...

Do you think the X comes with the set up im running, hell no. So why would I start all over, and how will that save me money, time and effort...:confused:

I am going to stick to reasonable advice from those that read post and encourage enthusiast to be original and Mod away, as long as that member is not causing damage or making an irreversible descision...

Tell you what, for all that are worring about saving me money, hit up my for sale thread this december, and hook me up with cash for parts during the holidays... LOL:D

No insult intended, just wanted to share that im not a 15y/o with out a clue. I am just making my truck look/run/and feel the way I want.

I enjoy this site and appreciate all the members on here.

Laters...:cool:

20. Dec 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Whats up TW,

I've been back in the states for a little over three weeks. On leave now, enjoing time with the family. Very happy to be back on US soil.

As for my truck, tires are installed. Went with 275/55/18's. Definately an improvement in power, and acceleration. Also, truck does not strugle as much starting in first gear on steep hills, or reversing up hills. I believe this new tire hight is benifiting both performance and life of me drivetrain.

Dropping off my truck to a performance shop to install the drop kit tomorrow morning. Would have done it myself, but between family, upgrades on my new home, and recovery from a deployment, I'm not looking forward to a whole day in the auto shop.

I will keep all posted, and pics will be comming once all my installs are complete. I have a bunch of mods to install that have sat in garage since before I deployed, LOL.

Laters...:D

Products Discussed in

To Top