Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Drag Racing: My truck vs a stocker, not what you might think

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Curtis
CurboCycles's Tacoma Gallery
Drag Racing: My truck vs a stocker, not what you might think

I recently bought a 06 TRD OR DC to replace my 05 TRD Sport ext cab. The 05 has an AFE CAI and Gibson cat back exhaust, size 285 Nittos. Engine wise the 06 is all stock except for a Flowmaster muffler. It is also on 285 Nittos.

I thought it would be fun to drag race the two and see how much performance I get out of the CAI and catback, since the trucks are pretty much identical otherwise.

You might be surprised with the results. Depending on the launch, the 05 is 1 to .5 car lengths faster. We drag raced 5x up to 80 mph, sometimes from a dead stop other times from a rolling start. The 05 would pull ahead right from the start and then they would stay even the rest of the way.

I'm disappointed that after $500 of upgrades ($250 for AFE + $250 for Gibson) my 05 is not faster than it is. I hoped it would win by 2-3 car lengths and pull the whole way.

Is anyone else unimpressed with these results? I swapped the AFE onto the 06 last night and will drag race again tomorrow to see what affect the air intake has on my truck. Hopefully the 06 (the truck im keeping) will be faster now.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
The '05 is faster because it's an ext cab and lighter

Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetacos View Post
The '05 is faster because it's an ext cab and lighter
That's what I was thinking.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I've been waiting for this thread for a very long time. I've always wondered how different the power-to-weight ratio would be AC vs DC, wouldn't have guessed it would have been that different.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The intake and exhaust may give you a half truck length at best IMO.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The intake and exhaust may give you a half truck length IMO.
Totally not worth the expense IMO. I'd rather spend $500 on a lift kit or stereo or something like that.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
Totally not worth the expense IMO. I'd rather spend $500 on a lift kit or stereo or something like that.
I agree...I have a Gibson cat back exhaust for the sound only, gave no performance effect for me. Plus I picked it up used on CL for $50.

I had a AFE CAI and hated it...the sound it gave off was loud and annoying to me. Also I could not tell if it gave me any more power.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Where are ya racing???

Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Where are ya racing???

Old 09-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
It's a truck, not a sports car.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
I agree...I have a Gibson cat back exhaust for the sound only, gave no performance effect for me. Plus I picked it up used on CL for $50.

I had a AFE CAI and hated it...the sound it gave off was loud and annoying to me. Also I could not tell if it gave me any more power.
I have a Magnaflow cat back too, love the sound, that's about all it's good for too. I thought about getting a CAI until I read all the threads on here about getting "minimal power gains". So I spent my money on a new stereo and wheel spacers in the long run.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
It's a truck, not a sports car.
Unless you have a sport, then it's a sports truck!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
Unless you have a sport, then it's a sports truck!
ATRAC ATRAC ATRAC

Old 09-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
ATRAC ATRAC ATRAC
No fair!!!!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #16
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
What more would you expect from a 4,000LB 4-door V6 truck. The fact that you are even drag racing a Tacoma is what gets me laughing...

Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The fact that you are even drag racing a Tacoma is what gets me laughing...
x2

Old 09-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I legally drag race my truck. I don't expect much because I know that in the end it is just a slow truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDxpa...a_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcXII...a_player

No vids of my 4wd runs but I was faster than a V8 ram and a 96 Impala SS.

Closed Thread