1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by DFPTaco, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:00 AM
    DFPTaco

DFPTaco [OP] It's TACO time!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    19 DC SB TRD OFF ROAD
    little lift, wheels and tires, prinsu rack, TRD Pro grille, some lights, and some scratches.
    Who is running what? I have been running Mobile one but have now switched to Royal Purple. What do you all use?

2. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:01 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Still using Mobil1. IMHO nobody has proven anything better yet.

3. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Mob1 here too...

4. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:12 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Mobil 1. If it's good enough for Corvettes and 911s, it's good enough for my Tacoma. JMO.

5. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:12 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    Haven't changed yet in Taco, but have always used Mobil 1 in other vehicles. Will continue to use for Taco.

Looked at Amsoil, but it's simply to hard to get. M1, you can get anywhere.

6. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    DFPTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    19 DC SB TRD OFF ROAD
    little lift, wheels and tires, prinsu rack, TRD Pro grille, some lights, and some scratches.
    This guy came into my shop and did a demonstration with Royal Purple against Mobile1 and it changed my mind. I've been using mobile 1 for years too in everything I own.

7. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:20 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Mobil 1 for me thanks...

8. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:21 AM
    Radelix

Radelix Runs with Scissors

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    17 trdor dcsb 6mt
    Valvoline for me

9. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:30 AM
    spaghettiedy

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Explain please.

10. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:43 AM
    DFPTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    19 DC SB TRD OFF ROAD
    he had this contraption that had a metal wheel in a bowl that you filled with oil, then you pressed a little timken bearing onto this wheel and it would essentially show you the level of friction by a meter that measured the pressure you were putting down and then also the squeal of metal to metal. He first did it with no oil and I pushed the lever and it started squealing and grinding right away. Then I gave him a quart of mobile one and he did it with that and it worked good but i was able to get it grind and squeal. He then did it with this royal purple stuff and I was putting all my weight on the lever and nothing. He then took all the oil out and I put all my weight on the lever and again nothing. I guess it coats the metal with a film or something so you motor is protected even during start up.

11. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    I have been using royal purple in my cars for a few years now and amsoil in my motorcycles. I just got the tacoma and haven't had to change the oil yet but I plan on using royal purple.

12. Oct 29, 2008 at 10:54 AM
    spaghettiedy

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Noticed any difference between RP and M1?

13. Oct 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    I have been running Mobil1 for the past 3 oil changes. I am thinking of giving Amsoil a try. I have been using the OEM filters.

14. Oct 29, 2008 at 4:18 PM
    LazyRyan

LazyRyan Wtf am i suppose to type here?

Member:
    Long Beach,CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab PreRunner V6 TRD Sport
    BHLM, Black badges, Trex Eyelids, AFE drop in
    1st (3) oil changes castrol gtx *short oil life
    4th oil change castrol syntec blend *same as coventional imo
    5th oil change mobil 1 extended performance *still running

15. Oct 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    I change my oil every 3k does one oil come out darker than the other I couldn't tell you because RP Starts out Darker than M1. RP Boast a Small HP Increase when you switch over. Could I notice it in everyday driving? I'd be lying if I said I could and I don't have access to a Dyno to prove or disprove.

Here is the way I look at oil changes. These day's everyone is saying that you can go longer distance now because of different oils and such, but the problem is that your running this oil that is getting dirtier regardless of the oils ability to do its job or not and the oil filter is having to filter out much more dirt the longer you wait. Now until they invent Dyson oil filters the regular oil filter is still a paper filter and is going to start restricting the flow of oil where it needs to go. So what's the answer to keeping them from clogging so fast? Well I can think of 2 ways. 1. Make the oil filter larger so that you increase the surface area that is filtering the oil. I've been in the automotive industry for some time and I haven't seen them get any larger. 2. Make them operate Less efficiently so that in the beginning the oil isn't getting filtered as well as it does in the middle or towards the end of its life cycle.

Now this is just my opinion/theory and I have no real proof to substantiate so please lets not turn this into an argument. Feel free to post your own theories and opinions. I just think if you keep the oil younger, cleaner and, flowing freer you are going to be better off.

16. Oct 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  17. Oct 29, 2008 at 8:29 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    in my tacoma and the wifes honda......i always use mobil1......and i have used pennzoil platinum...never had a problem with either.

18. Nov 3, 2008 at 2:25 PM
    Tacoma02TRD

Tacoma02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Walla Walla WA/ Klamath Falls OR
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    3inch Revtech lift,Flowmaster Muffler, K&N cold air intake, 33x12.5 Maxxis Bighorns, TRD stock locker, Hella 500 Fog lights, Scanguage II, 6k HIDs, Painted Black Rims
    I've thought of using AMSOIL, does anyone have any experience with using Amsoil in their Tacoma. Did it extent your next oil change that much that is worth the $$$? I'm pretty convinced that Mobil 1 is the way to go other wise. I've been using Castrol GTX every 3k but now am thinking I should go Mobil 1 unless theres something super fanamonal with Amsoil.

19. Nov 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've always used mobil 1 in my stuff, but I found this test that might make me change. http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html Its a long read but some good info there. I wish that they had tested royal purple. According to there study, it is better for your engine to change your oil less frequent. Most of the wear occurs within the first 3000mi. I'm a truck driver and its common for guys to never change there oil essentially, just filter changes and top up oil. There is many places where you can send your oil to have them test it. Usually not much more then $20 or so.

20. Nov 3, 2008 at 4:37 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Mobil one..... oil and filter my family runs it in everything!!!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top