Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

AFE Intake for 2.7L PreRunner

Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Question AFE Intake for 2.7L PreRunner

Ok, So I have been in debate back and forth as whether or not to get a high flow air filter for my Tacoma. I decided to do some searching. Since I have a 2.7L there are very limited options for performance parts (especially air filters). The only two options that I have found are a K&N drop in filter and an AFE Intake. The AFE intake for the 2.7L usually books for just under $300, but www.autoanything.com has it for $253.

What I want to know:

Has anyone used the AFE 2.7L Air Intake system?

Has anyone used AFE at all?

How good is their filtration system and air flow compared to K&N and such?

My plans (tenative for the moment) are to increase the intake air flow and get a URD MAF Calibrator to handle the extra air. I hope that between the two I can see a difference in power and economy (depending on how I drive, of course).
Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anybody have any AFE experience???
Old 06-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
I am curious about this too... *BUMP*
Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
If I was you I would just get a high flow drop-in. That's what I am going to get for my X-Runner. I am going to take the $200 or so bucks I save on the intake and get a cat-back exhaust. Just my .02
Old 06-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
If I was you I would just get a high flow drop-in. That's what I am going to get for my X-Runner. I am going to take the $200 or so bucks I save on the intake and get a cat-back exhaust. Just my .02
Yeah, I am thinking about it, but the drop-in oiled filters are known to ruin the "secondary filter" and the MAF sensor (so I hear). The AFE intake is supposed to protect the MAF sensor, and there is no secondary filter.

The K&N drop-in that I had in my Subaru left grime all through-out the intake tube. I wasn't too happy about that.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Yeah, I am thinking about it, but the drop-in oiled filters are known to ruin the "secondary filter" and the MAF sensor (so I hear). The AFE intake is supposed to protect the MAF sensor, and there is no secondary filter.

The K&N drop-in that I had in my Subaru left grime all through-out the intake tube. I wasn't too happy about that.
Good point I did have an issue with the K&N drop in messing up my maf on my 98 taco, once I cleaned it was good as new. I already took out my "secondary filter", I am going to see if AMSOIL makes a drop in for our trucks. URD uses there filters on there CAI. Good luck man.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Good point I did have an issue with the K&N drop in messing up my maf on my 98 taco, once I cleaned it was good as new. I already took out my "secondary filter", I am going to see if AMSOIL makes a drop in for our trucks. URD uses there filters on there CAI. Good luck man.
That is an EXCELLENT idea!!! I completely forgot that AMSOIL makes air filters. Do you have a link to the site where you are finding them? I need to see if they make one for the 2.7L as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #8

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
That is an EXCELLENT idea!!! I completely forgot that AMSOIL makes air filters. Do you have a link to the site where you are finding them? I need to see if they make one for the 2.7L as well.

Thanks in advance!
Give this a shot man. http://www.modernoils.com/media/pdf_...ineCatalog.pdf I got the link from a guy on customtacos he is a vender there.

EDIT: Looks like they dont make high flow drop in yet sorry man.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
I dub thee malicious!

Yeah, it really bums me out that Amsoil doesn't have a high-flow filter for the 2TR-FE (2.7L I-4) engine. I will be using Amsoil Synthetic for my engine oil as soon as I can find a dealer that is local to me.

I am going to try out an AFE drop in air filter and see how I like that.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions..?