Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

turbo

Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
saltzbaseball is on a distinguished road
Name: brandon
saltzbaseball's Tacoma Gallery
turbo

What mods would i need to do to get more boost and horsepower for a 2011 tacoma with twin turbo?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Fuel pump, injectors, 7th injector kit, fuel controller, maybe mls headgaskets and the custom twin turbo kit that would have to be built. More go fast guys on XRU than here.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
ATRAC
Old 09-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
just grab a TRD supercharger and be on your wayyyyyyy

If you have to ask what parts you need, you need to research more before dropping the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a twin turbo setup
Old 09-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
just wandering why would you prefer a TRD supercharger over turbo?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The TRD blower is a great kit on it's own and it would not require countless hours in the shop to make. The turbos would make more power in the end though.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
But since you are referring to a 2011, I would steer you towards a S/C. I love a turbo, and since I have drug my ass long enough, if I finally get enough money to boost I will likely go turbo. Your warranty will be SOL if you go turbo. The TRD Supercharger is supported by Toyota. I'm not saying don't do a TT setup, but if you do just make sure that it is something you definitely want to do.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I am not a turbo guy but am friends with a guy that has a stupid fast turbo mustang, based on all that stuff he has told me over the years {in one ear and out the other}, I would say a tacoma would not be a good cannidate for a turbo. The motor is just not built right for that type of application, if it were the market would be flooded with bolt on kits. Go with proven technology and don't become one of those guys that needs a new motor when things go bad. Seriously doubt any shop would replace your motor if things went bad. My .02, good luck.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzbaseball View Post
just wandering why would you prefer a TRD supercharger over turbo?
TRD makes one specifically for the tacoma, and it's proven. It comes as a kit and theres tons of backing behind it.

Turbos are more deep in R&D territory, and theres more risk of blowing your engine up.

though you'll get more hp+torque from the twin turbos, the supercharger is the safer way.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond, went to lunch.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Turbo's are way better when the motor is built for them, Tacoma motors are not built for them at all. Probably why I haven't seen one here on TW, not that it cant be done.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
Turbo's are way better when the motor is built for them, Tacoma motors are not built for them at all. Probably why I haven't seen one here on TW, not that it cant be done.
Theres an Xrunner member with a twin turbo setup, looking for the link....

THAT build is BADASS. but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

EDIT:
Redrum xrunner. TacomaTwins2
Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Theres an Xrunner member with a twin turbo setup, looking for the link....

THAT build is BADASS. but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

EDIT:
Redrum xrunner. TacomaTwins2
Looking foward to seeing that, must of had a ton of money or a family member owning a speed shop!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #16
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
There is also the URD centrifugal style supercharger (which is basically a Turbo on a stick). I dont think it will give you the low end boost of the TRD, but it def has a lot of mid and high range boost potential (much better candidate for a race truck IMO... if that is what you are into). Ive heard alot of good things about this charger and since they have a kit, including the intercooler, this would probably be easier than a turbo.

If you want low end boost (towing, offroading, etc...), stick with the TRD kit. Tried and true.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
But still arithmetic of engine mods to do if I go the turbo route
Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #18
Banned
Twin charge that bitch.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #19
Lol I Really want to
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
mr2r6 will become famous soon enoughmr2r6 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kiel
mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
Realistically to put down some real power with a twin turbo set up on a 4.0 Tacoma motor the cost would be $15000+ without any kind of guarantee. You can’t just bolt up a turbo to any motor and expect big power. The motors and other components are just not built for them. You would have to build the motor to handle real horse power, get a fuel, ignition exhaust and cooling system that could handle the power. Then on top of that a computer system to control it all. Plus an experienced guy to tune it all and put it together.
If you spent money to just bolt on a turbo to a stock motor you might get as much hp out of the turbo set up as the Toyota supercharger gets if you don’t blow the motor first. Total waste of money.
If you want a twin turbo set up go with a supra motor swap. But then again its not a true twin turbo set up. The smaller turbo charges the bigger turbo.
It would be pretty bad ass to have a true fully built twin turbo Tacoma though.