1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flow Master, URD, or TRD? Exhaust and CAI Questions

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Closet Redneck, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    Closet Redneck

Closet Redneck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner double cab short bed
    I recently bought my 2011 PreRunner and I am looking to add some mods to my truck. Ive been looking at different exhaust and CAI options. In yall's opinion which is the better CAI? The TRD CAI or the TCAI by URD. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also decided on the Flow Master Cat Back American Thunder for my exhaust kit. Any advice on that exhaust kit would be great too. One other question, with these mods in what order should I purchase them? Feel free to suggest any other advice or personal experience you have. Thanks!

2. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    MY advice is don't waste your money on a CAI.

These trucks draw air in from the right front wheel well. About as "cold air" as it's going to get.

3. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    agreed, i have an AFE CAI and its maybe a tiny bit more responsive but it really doesnt do anything except make it alot louder when your above 3K rpms. the AFE and TRD are pretty much the same thing, not sure about the URD one. as far as the exhausts i always hear bad things about the flowmaster

4. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
  5. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    Closet Redneck

Closet Redneck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner double cab short bed
    Interesting. From what I read the TRD exhaust wasnt anything special and did not give a loud enough "throaty growl" that most people were looking for. As far as the performance side of the TRD exhaust goes have you noticed any increase in performance? Increase in MPG, horsepower, etc?

6. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    if you want the flowmaster rumble w/o the power loss and poor quality then go with the Kamikaze from wicked flow, love mine. Bearriverconverters.com

7. Sep 8, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    09Doright8126

09Doright8126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Offroad Pyrite Prerunner
    Aires chrome bullbar, Wet Okole seat covers, 6" KC offroad Slimlites w/ covers, upper Grillecraft black w/ TRD emblem, Redline hood struts, URD TCAI w/ black wrap, URD MAF Sensor, NST pulleys, NST intake manifold spacer, Bilstein 5100s, Eibach coils painted red, painted red brake calipers, SST brake lines, debadged tailgate, window tint, bed mat, extra D-rings, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, swaybar removed, DTLT headers, URD Y-pipe, Vibrant Resonator, MagnaFlow
    ^^^ Agreed... Don't get a Flowmaster and check out the other mufflers mentioned above. Also, save you some money and don't get the full system but just rather buy the muffler and if you choose dual exits then just have a muffler shop do the rest.

For the intake I would recommend URD as that is what I have and I can say with the combination of the URD MAF calibrator you should see the most gains. If you don't plan on supercharging then stay with this option or go TRD, AFE.

URD Intake.jpg

8. Sep 19, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    labman1

labman1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RICHARD
    DC
    Vehicle:
    2007 X RUNNER
    EXHAUST, COLD AIR INTAKE.
    I PUT A FLOWMASTER CAT BACK DUAL EXHAUST ON MY 2007 X RUNNER AND LOVE IT.MUCH QUICKER THROTTLE . SOUNDS GREAT.

Products Discussed in

To Top