Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Flow Master, URD, or TRD? Exhaust and CAI Questions

Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Closet Redneck is on a distinguished road
Closet Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Flow Master, URD, or TRD? Exhaust and CAI Questions

I recently bought my 2011 PreRunner and I am looking to add some mods to my truck. Ive been looking at different exhaust and CAI options. In yall's opinion which is the better CAI? The TRD CAI or the TCAI by URD. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also decided on the Flow Master Cat Back American Thunder for my exhaust kit. Any advice on that exhaust kit would be great too. One other question, with these mods in what order should I purchase them? Feel free to suggest any other advice or personal experience you have. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
MY advice is don't waste your money on a CAI.

These trucks draw air in from the right front wheel well. About as "cold air" as it's going to get.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
MY advice is don't waste your money on a CAI.

These trucks draw air in from the right front wheel well. About as "cold air" as it's going to get.
agreed, i have an AFE CAI and its maybe a tiny bit more responsive but it really doesnt do anything except make it alot louder when your above 3K rpms. the AFE and TRD are pretty much the same thing, not sure about the URD one. as far as the exhausts i always hear bad things about the flowmaster
Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Flowmaster Dual exhaust $310.00
http://performancepeddler.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FLO17432

Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
TRD exhaust and no intake. Done!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Closet Redneck is on a distinguished road
Closet Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
TRD exhaust and no intake. Done!
Interesting. From what I read the TRD exhaust wasnt anything special and did not give a loud enough "throaty growl" that most people were looking for. As far as the performance side of the TRD exhaust goes have you noticed any increase in performance? Increase in MPG, horsepower, etc?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Redneck View Post
Interesting. From what I read the TRD exhaust wasnt anything special and did not give a loud enough "throaty growl" that most people were looking for. As far as the performance side of the TRD exhaust goes have you noticed any increase in performance? Increase in MPG, horsepower, etc?
The exhaust will just give you mostly sound. Check out Magnaflow, Banks, Borla or URD to find something that suits your taste. I have a Banks kit and the video is in my sig. I do not suggest a Chockmaster because they are proven to decrease power and they just plain sound like crap on anything they are on.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
09Doright8126 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
09Doright8126's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Agreed... Don't get a Flowmaster and check out the other mufflers mentioned above. Also, save you some money and don't get the full system but just rather buy the muffler and if you choose dual exits then just have a muffler shop do the rest.

For the intake I would recommend URD as that is what I have and I can say with the combination of the URD MAF calibrator you should see the most gains. If you don't plan on supercharging then stay with this option or go TRD, AFE.
Attached Thumbnails
Flow Master, URD, or TRD? Exhaust and CAI Questions-urd-intake.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
labman1 is on a distinguished road
Name: RICHARD
labman1's Tacoma Gallery
I PUT A FLOWMASTER CAT BACK DUAL EXHAUST ON MY 2007 X RUNNER AND LOVE IT.MUCH QUICKER THROTTLE . SOUNDS GREAT.