Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Help With Gear Ratios and MPGs

Old 09-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Help With Gear Ratios and MPGs

I currently have 265/75/16 Duratracs on my V6 Prerunner and would like to get some Camburg spindles but don't want to run 265's with a lift that large so I am debating which set up will get me the best MPG's...

Would someone who understands gear ratios please put the following options in numerical order of best to worst MPG's?

265/75/16 w/ 3.73's
265/75/16 w/ 4.10's
285/75/16 w/ 3.73's
285/75/16 w/ 4.10's
255/85/16 w/ 3.73's
255/85/16 w/ 4.10's
Old 09-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
You can play with the tire size calculator. The botom shows RPM's at different gear ratios.
Gear Ratio / RPMs for New Tire (@ 65 mph)
Better Fuel Economy Factory Ratios Increased Power

Play around with different tire sizes

tire calculator
Old 09-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Randy.

Any other input?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
ExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
ExpoSpy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
You can play with the tire size calculator. The botom shows RPM's at different gear ratios.
Gear Ratio / RPMs for New Tire (@ 65 mph)
Better Fuel Economy Factory Ratios Increased Power

Play around with different tire sizes

tire calculator
I would be careful with that calculator. I know that my speedo/rpm don't match what the calculator states. @ 65 with my 265/75-16 my rpm's are sitting at 1940. The tire calculator shows my rpm's should be ~2574 I tend to think that this is a good calculator to use.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have hard facts for you on this, but i would imagine that if you just kept your stock gears and went with a skinny 33" tire, you could get some pretty good highway mileage by keeping the RPMs lower than stock while keeping your tread to pavement contact as low as possible too.