Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Power Steering Upgrade

Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Sully15 is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
Sully15's Tacoma Gallery
Power Steering Upgrade

Hey all. I wanted to ask if anyone has done a power steering pump upgrade due to larger tires. Right now, there is a seal or a gasket leak in my pump (I'm pretty sure) Every time i try and fill it, it just pours out but it still has enough in it to work but my engine does whine.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on an upgrade, i am not sure if it will do anything but i am pushing 35's and i would like to upgrade it so it doesn't happen again.

I really dont know what forum topic to post this under.

Let my know what you guys think. I cant seem to find any information on upgrading a pump.

Thanks,
Sully
Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
I have almost the same thing wrong with my 04. It has a slow leak and whines really loud. I havent been able to find an "upgraded" pump. My plans are to purchase a new pump and get an ATF cooler. This will keep the fluid cooler and allow for more capacity. This is the one i plan on getting.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...oductId=760008
Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Sully15 is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
Sully15's Tacoma Gallery
i haven't even gotten my hands dirty digging into this yet but do you know where you would mount this? Will the cooler really help and allow for more capacity? does the power steering fluid get that hot?

I know a little bit about motors and i did install a 6" lift myself but this is very foreign to me. sorry so many questions. i have been on the site trying to pick away at this topic but i keep coming up short.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully15 View Post
i haven't even gotten my hands dirty digging into this yet but do you know where you would mount this? Will the cooler really help and allow for more capacity? does the power steering fluid get that hot?

I know a little bit about motors and i did install a 6" lift myself but this is very foreign to me. sorry so many questions. i have been on the site trying to pick away at this topic but i keep coming up short.
Me to. I have no clue where to mount it, I will look into that tommorow. Yes it allows for more capacity. I figure something has to fill that thing up and it makes the lines longer so it would have to hold a little more fluid. How much? IDK. I have also heard of some people cutting the resevoir and adding 2-4 inches of PVC pipe so it can hold more fluid.

I have never replaced a power steering pump before, but here is a helpful link. Im actually a little worried messing with the pulley and im just a kid and dont want to screw up my truck, but I believe im going to try it here within the next couple weeks.