Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2.4 2RZ cheap intake and dyno numbers to support it

Old 09-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
ao6902 is on a distinguished road
Name: Arya
ao6902's Tacoma Gallery
2.4 2RZ cheap intake and dyno numbers to support it

Hey guys, I have read a bunch (not all) of the intake questions and different opinions about what intake to upgrade to and whether or not they even produce horsepower gains that are worth the investment. So I decided to do some experimenting of my own and report back to everyone. The results are in and you can put together an intake system that produces between 5 and 10 HP/torque for about $100-$120. Here's the skinny.

My truck is an 01 2RZ (2.4L). I already had a K and N filter installed, dynomax super turbo muffler, doug thorley headers and LCE underdrive crank pulley. Upon dynoing the vehicle with these mods, the truck produced 131 horsepower and 144 torque.

Stock air box pulls cooler air from the fender well so left it alone. Kept k and n filter in it. Purchased a spectre intake tube (goes form filter housing to intake) from Autozone which is designed for acura/honda but fits this system almost perfect. Also purchased 1 silicone coupler and another piece of longer rubber 3" hose to connect everything. Tube and piping cost about $60.

Had truck run on Dyno again. This time HP was 136 and Torque 151! Just by eliminating the factory piping! I will say that the truck was ran on dyno after it had cooled down and with a fan this time. The first run produced slightly less gain.

Conclusion- By adding k and n filter to factory air cleaner box and replacing factory intake piping with a smooth, straight tube you can expect a 5-10 hp/torque gain...and all together I spent between $100 and $120 (don't remember exact price of k and n filter)
Attached Thumbnails
2.4 2RZ cheap intake and dyno numbers to support it-intake.jpg   2.4 2RZ cheap intake and dyno numbers to support it-dynorunintake.jpg  
Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
K&N filters don't filter as well as OE or OE style filters. I'll be fine without the extra 5 hp gain.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Dyno chart?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
ao6902's Tacoma Gallery
yup. tube was well worth the 60 bucks too. Made power that I could feel and see on a dyno sheet. Factory plastic resonator boxes have passages that go in and out of the rubber accordian tube, not allowing air to smoothly flow right into the intake. Accordian rubber tubing is never good when it comes to making power either. It makes sense logically but also found out experiencially some years ago on a turbo'd bmw someone had done a number on. They put all kinds of that accordian rubber piping to connect some of the turbo piping to the intake and it made shit power. Replaced it and smoothed the flow out, car made lots of power.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
ao6902's Tacoma Gallery
dyno sheet. Hey gimme a break, its 3 am and I was typing fast