Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Why do people put CAIs on with a supercharger?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
xj2000 is on a distinguished road

xj2000's Tacoma Gallery
Why do people put CAIs on with a supercharger?

Read a thread the other day with people arguing about the cold air intake working with the supercharger. My question is...

With a Supercharger, does it really matter the temperature of the air before the SC since the SC heats the air anyway? I've always heard the best way to improve performance is to upgrade the intercooler since that is after the SC but before the manifold. I know when I had my turboed 335i, all the guys were focused on upgrading the FMIC.

Seems the CAI on a supercharger is a waste of money.

Thoughts?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
The only reasoning I am aware of is to help it breath.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The CAI would allow the supercharger to breath easier.

There is no real way to upgrade the aftercooler on a TRD SC.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
xj2000 is on a distinguished road

xj2000's Tacoma Gallery
Does the stock intake not provide enough air?

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm trying to plan out my SC purchase.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj2000 View Post
Does the stock intake not provide enough air?

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm trying to plan out my SC purchase.
CAI will allow more air. Not that stock doesn't provide enough but the CAI have cone filters, more surface area, less restrictive.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
fafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
fafafahey's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to fafafahey
If you are looking at the '12 as I am, you'll see in the thread link below that there is "emission" equipment in the engine bay that (at least it looks like) won't allow room for the current TRD or after market CAI to fit.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...6k-beware.html