Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

upgrading rear diif

Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
poppajm is on a distinguished road
poppajm's Tacoma Gallery
upgrading rear diif

Thinking of Detroit Truetrac for '11 Sport single trac rear. Has anyone got any feedback on diff upgrades for traction. Should have at least gone with factory limited slip, too late now.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
if by this youre asking if locker really gives that much traction then the answer is yes. theres some video put out by eaton with some trucks on an incline with rollers showing a 2wd locked going u when the 4wd open diffs fell backwards down the hill. the detroit is the eaton locker right? i dont have one but ive heard nothing but good about them. you may want to look into the arb air lockers as well.
edit: and welcome to tw from jacksonville fl
Is this the video you are talking about? because I was thinking of the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdND6o9Vsqo
Old 09-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
poppajm is on a distinguished road
poppajm's Tacoma Gallery
didn't see a arb listed for my 8" ring gear . did see eaton detroit truetrac listing. had detroit locker on my '85 s10 blazer and hardly had to put it 4wd for most situations. but, it was a full locker and when it locked you felt it.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppajm View Post
didn't see a arb listed for my 8" ring gear . did see eaton detroit truetrac listing. had detroit locker on my '85 s10 blazer and hardly had to put it 4wd for most situations. but, it was a full locker and when it locked you felt it.
The sport uses a 8.4" diff. The ring gear is only 8 inches. People call it the 8.4 because of the larger carrier bearings. Parts for the normal or locking 8" diff will not work for the "8.4"
Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
He said "member"...
crainholio will become famous soon enough
Army: Tanker
crainholio's Tacoma Gallery
My '02 Chevrolet truck came with an Eaton G80 and the only bad thing about it was cornering under hard acceleration...inside tire chirped constantly. Like leaving a left-turn light in a hurry.

I tried different gear lubes like Mobil-1 75W-90 LS, Red Line 75W-90, adding extra friction modifier, no change. When the Eaton locks the clutch packs, it's locked.

It was very capable in snow and I judged a good tradeoff for the minor cornering noise. The TRD LSD is also a clutch-pack design, but the one in my '03 Tundra had no such problem with cornering under acceleration. It was also very good in snow and always got me home.

Just some data points, good luck w/ your decision.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
Hang on I thought the new sports didn't have a mechanical lsd available anymore instead using the much approved auto lsd
Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappyleon View Post
Hang on I thought the new sports didn't have a mechanical lsd available anymore instead using the much approved auto lsd
That is correct. 08 was the last year for real LSD.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
So, before you blow bucks on a new diff, at least try using the Auto LSD button function, for snow or stomping the gas while cornering on somewhat slippery surfaces.

For off roading, go full locker.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
Dcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Anthony
Dcd5907's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about anyone else, but the auto LSD is a joke. It's just traction control. If one tire starts to spin the it seams like the brakes slow it down. I mean it's got to be cause over all it's jus a std open diff in the rear. I wish I could swap the 3rd member from my supra into my '11 taco, that diff acts like a spool lol. Im as we'll thinking about going with the Detroit locker.

Sry bout the rambelling.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcd5907 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but the auto LSD is a joke. It's just traction control. If one tire starts to spin the it seams like the brakes slow it down. I mean it's got to be cause over all it's jus a std open diff in the rear. I wish I could swap the 3rd member from my supra into my '11 taco, that diff acts like a spool lol. Im as we'll thinking about going with the Detroit locker.

Sry bout the rambelling.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but make sure you have traction control off, and auto-lsd on. And in my experience (on a hill, testing it out), having Auto-LSD on required a bit of the skinny pedal to get any positive results. It did get me up the hill though, although very slowly.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcd5907 View Post

Sry bout the rambelling.
Ummmm well yeah it works with the brakes and its job is to slow down the tires without traction so the power goes to the tire with traction. The system works great. It got me unstuck when 4wd wouldn't engage.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Dcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the roughDcd5907 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Anthony
Dcd5907's Tacoma Gallery
I'll give It a try this weekend. Lastnight in the rain no matter what one tire would spin. Going straight, or cornering, hard throttle or being easy on it. And yes trac was off auto lsd was on. Obviously a LSD ain't a locker nor a spool but from what I seen and expearenced so far, I'm not Impressed.