Notices

TRD Maintenance tips needed...

Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Kodachrome is on a distinguished road
Navy: U.S.S. Ranger / HS-14
Kodachrome's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Maintenance Tips Sticky Needed...

Hey gang,

A lot of time what happens on these types of forums is that if enough inquiry is warranted, a sticky is made for certain questions that do well to have a knowledge base. Often, the searches just miss the mark when it comes to finding key info in return requiring a 50+ page search for the info that can still turn up nothing unless re-asked.

A good example of a good sticky on this site is the one in the second gen Tacoma section on 05+ Tacoma front bumpers, it just adds up perfectly.

So as an owner of a TRD S/C for my 4.0 V6, I would like to see an example of this since it is truly tough to get straight answers out in the real world.

I will be glad to add to this myself as I get my findings all together and the way I approach this is that there is no such thing as a dumb question, there is no such thing as "common sense" when you really can not assume what everyone's mechanical inclination, aptitude or experience is.

There is a thread on XRU that I am trying to get solid answers out of but it is sometimes a popularity contest of posts of a "race-to-the-finish" no matter what you blow up approach over there in some cases, not very practical for us daily drivers or pro users as in my case:

This page is kind of getting to the point of it all: http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...t=27740&page=3

So we have a blower that needs new oil in the nose drive every 30,000-50,000 miles or so, Toyota has nothing to do with this as they claim a 100,000 mile service free life. The TRD Oil Service Kit has no list of what is included, not even Toyota or TRD do either. I called Gadget at URD and he said it contained the oil, drain plug and plastic coupler, not an official read of the parts list, but a heck of a lot better than what TRD told me.

PSE Superchargers does complete S/C and nose drive re-builds, but you have to call them to get info for they do not post it for liability reasons.

Magnuson, the only other company besides PSE I know of that re-build Roots-Eaton type blowers saying the bolts get torqued to 20 foot pounds, a couple of replies on XRU saying anything from 12-17 pounds. No one replied in how to pull the rotors and clean the blower which gets gummed up from PCV hoses spewing oil, no one able to tell me how to perform a compression check on the driver side bank when the blower is clearly in the way and can not be removed when the engine is at optimum temp for this check.

Gadget is super helpful if you can catch him, if he calls back or most of all, if the delay in his phone is not bad...and it usually is.

So...can we start to pull together some resources on this site about blower maintenance? 30-50K on the nose oil, 60K+ on the nose re-build, 100K and beyond for a complete blower re-build, what type of sealant to use, things to look for, how to line up the spring and coupler pins properly when putting the nose drive back on, etc.

These things are actually pretty simple in operation and design, but that simplicity does not in any way negate the need for solid facts in as many areas as we can get. As that nice little badge under my name indicates, I was in the U.S. Navy. I worked on $4,000,000 jet aircraft engines, I know my way around high performance and high tolerance mechanics. But we had every resource we could ever need or want at our disposal, were never discouraged in asking any question at all and felt very confident in that we had all the literal and indirect tools we could ever need to excel at doing the job we were trained to do.

This is expensive, time consuming and potentially engine damaging stuff to not have these resources on, there is no excuse for this and I am frankly fed up with the overall attitude of the industry to sell but not support and just assume that if you buy it, you inherently know everything about it.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Just let the dealer do the service....? They cover you for 100k anyway, why get all bent outa shape about it?
Old 09-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
^ yep. Get the extended warranty. I did, if the blower goes than you get a new one.