Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Is my catalytic converter bad already?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
ToyotaNovice is on a distinguished road
Name: Rocky
ToyotaNovice's Tacoma Gallery
Is my catalytic converter bad already?

I only have 64,000 miles on my 2001 1st generation. My check engine light is coming on with a P040 code. My catalytic converters couldn't be bad already could they?
I have an AFE ProDry drop in filter, so I don't think my mass air flow sensor is dirty (I already cleaned it off just in case). Dealership wants thousands to replace the two cats and oxygen sensors. Muffler shop wants $900+.
I'm still having a hard time believing it's the catalytic converter. Has anybody else had this problem?
Suggestions?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
So which code is it? P0040 or P0440?

Info from http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

P0040 Upstream Oxygen Sensors Swapped From Bank To Bank
P0440 Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction
Old 10-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Oops, I forgot a two. The code is P0420. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
According to the same web site:

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Some suggested steps for troubleshooting a P0420 error code include:
Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
Replace the catalytic converter

According to this list, the worst-case scenario would be to replace a single front cat on bank 1. There is no sensor monitoring the performance of the rear cats.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
s1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: michael
s1nner's Tacoma Gallery
i just went through this on my 2006. federal emissions laws say toyota has to cover cats up to 100000 miles. i just had one put on at 60000, and im about to go for the second cause the code came back up for the other bank. same code description you have.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...coma_0001.html

Where are you getting 100K? The latest booklets say 8 years or 80K for the cats, which is in accordance with the regs: http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Old 10-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
s1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the sheds1nner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

s1nner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...coma_0001.html

Where are you getting 100K? The latest booklets say 8 years or 80K for the cats, which is in accordance with the regs: http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
hey thats just what they told me at the dealer. i was just putting the dealer option out there cause i would much rather not spend that kind of money on something pointless like cats.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Thanks, this helps. I'll check out the O2 sensors and see what that does. I've already checked for exhaust leaks. Looks like changing the cats is last resort if the other things don't work.
I hate seeing that stupid check engine light every day. Looking forward to getting rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
According to the same web site:

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Some suggested steps for troubleshooting a P0420 error code include:
Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
Replace the catalytic converter

According to this list, the worst-case scenario would be to replace a single front cat on bank 1. There is no sensor monitoring the performance of the rear cats.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
How many miles does your truck have? You're on to your second cat replacement already? That sucks! From what I've looked into it is not a cheap process that's why I'm trying other options first. Did you replace both cats your first go around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nner View Post
i just went through this on my 2006. federal emissions laws say toyota has to cover cats up to 100000 miles. i just had one put on at 60000, and im about to go for the second cause the code came back up for the other bank. same code description you have.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #11

s1nner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaNovice View Post
How many miles does your truck have? You're on to your second cat replacement already? That sucks! From what I've looked into it is not a cheap process that's why I'm trying other options first. Did you replace both cats your first go around?
well it was the dealers call. the lights were sorta random, i would clear the code and it would last a while then come back. when i took it to toyota they only replaced the left upstream cat, now its the right one. they paid for the whole thing. it was a one day repair but it took them like 2 weeks to get the part. the only thing that sucked is they wouldn't give me a car to drive for the day. i would say check into it, never hurts to ask hopefully you're still covered
Old 10-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #12

s1nner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaNovice View Post
oh and i have 62000 now and my first one was at 55000
Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
wger06 is on a distinguished road
Name: Wayne
wger06's Tacoma Gallery
I just had the exact same problem on my 01 tacoma. The 1st mechanic told me it could be as much as $3000, he was going to change both cats and both o2 sensors. The 2nd mechanic told me about $1000. I finally decided to try it myself. Turns out only 1 o2 sensor was bad, the upsteam one. The whole job took a day and cost $100. If it turns out you have the same problem, make sure you buy the oem o2 sensor. Denso is the only one that works, I read that on this forum somewhere and it saved me from having to do it twice. Good luck I hope this was helpful
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
This is perfect. Thanks!! I was told the same thing by mechanics... Almost down to the exact dollar amount. My truck was like s1nners above where I would turn off the light and it would come back on in a few weeks; not immediately.
I'm gonna start by trying to change the sensors. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wger06 View Post
I just had the exact same problem on my 01 tacoma. The 1st mechanic told me it could be as much as $3000, he was going to change both cats and both o2 sensors. The 2nd mechanic told me about $1000. I finally decided to try it myself. Turns out only 1 o2 sensor was bad, the upsteam one. The whole job took a day and cost $100. If it turns out you have the same problem, make sure you buy the oem o2 sensor. Denso is the only one that works, I read that on this forum somewhere and it saved me from having to do it twice. Good luck I hope this was helpful
Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
my truck did the same thing, I reset it with the scangage and it hasn't come on since. this was 2 years ago

edit: I had 150k at the time, Im at 174k now.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
bum.......
00yotasr5 is on a distinguished road

Name: lee
00yotasr5's Tacoma Gallery
wow mine has 190??? miles and i have yet to replace my cat, but next year gotta replace it or wont pass smog stupid cali law
Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
wger06 is on a distinguished road
Name: Wayne
wger06's Tacoma Gallery
Yea that's how mine started, I would reset the light and it would stay off for a while. The time in between the light coming back on kept getting shorter and shorter until eventually it would come back immediatedly. That went on for about year.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #18
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00yotasr5 View Post
wow mine has 190??? miles and i have yet to replace my cat, but next year gotta replace it or wont pass smog stupid cali law
lol if mine ever go bad ill probably just get the URD O2 sensor sim and forget about it. no inspections here

Products Discussed in this Thread