1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to calculate my gear ratio

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Stout890, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    Stout890

Stout890 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    Let me first say im pretty sure i do not have stock gears. My spedo is off by +20

Ok so I just jacked up my rear and did the wheel rotation trick now I'm getting confused on how to do the math

For 10 tire rotations I got approx 26.45 I put shaft rotations..

Now if I divide 26.45 into 10 I get 2.545..now that isn't right-so 10 divided In to 26.45 gets me..0.378...

Am I doing something g wrong?

Now I looked up another way of doing it that only requires 2 shaft rotations and that you take the percentage of the wheel rotation and divide by 1, getting it's reciprocal than times by 4

So I do that and get prettymuch exactly .75 or 3/4 wheel rotation for exactly 1 shaft rotation. I do that math and get 3

So do I have 2.54 gears or 3.0?
    Neither sounds right at all

What are the symptoms of lower gearing?

2. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
  3. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    yeah thats too much for what im doing...

this is a good idea ill report back

4. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Just got like 2.6 axle rotations for one wheel rotation.

This is blowing me away who puts 2.6's In a Tacoma?

No wonder the truck drives like shit
    Also I have 31" tires on here and it has a huge body lift with suspension lift and looks like it used to run 36"+ tires

5. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    What exactly is the 3rd? I see people referencing the whole axle as the third.
    I honestly don't want to take this thing apart. I'm about to pick up a whole other axle tomorrow morning with a e-locker. I was just basically wondering what the difference is going to be between the two by finding out the gears in what I'm driving with now.

Anyone know what gears came in a 03 v6 taco prerunner with an e-locker? That what this new axle came from

6. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Would it help if I only jack up 1 weel?

7. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    My 02 prerunner tacoma came with 3.91 gears and 31" tall tires, stock.

Your best bet is lift both rear tires off the ground. Mark the tire and driveshaft, spin the tires 1 rotation, count the turns the driveshaft makes and that is it. No math involved. You'll have to guestimate the decimal, meaning half a turn is .5, or 3/4 turn is .75 you get the picture.

Your tire size won't make a difference here because you are trying to figure out the actual ratio, your wheel size will play a role when you want to know what correction to make to your speedo. Then you'll need to know the stock gear and tire to multiply them to find out what your new ratio is.

The third they are reffering to is when you remove your diff cover, its the chunk inside. You would need to count the teeth on the ring gear and the pinion and multiply them together to get the ratio. Or like said above it could be stamped on it somewhere.

8. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Yeah just did it again with 1 wheel of the ground ad still got 2.6 rotations and 26.40 for 10 tire rotations.

9. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    That seems like an odd Gearing to me but so did my 3.91 gears in a 2wd. Now you just have to multiply your stock tire height to your stock ratio then divide that by your new tire height and that will be your actual driving ratio.

10. Oct 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    yes vary odd gearing...iv never even heard of 2.54 but how can it be wrong?? i mean i did it 2 ways and am getting the same...

26.45 divided into 10 tire rotations=2.54

and 1 wheel rotation gave me about 2.6 input shaft rotations

im mean i knew it wasnt normal gearing, i have threads going about how my truck drives funny, feels bogged down and has no power. could this be the reason? my spedo is off +20mph

what are the symptoms of low gearing, does it cause the spedo to read high or low? and why would someone wanna do that?

11. Oct 11, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    The ratio you have is considered high (numerically low) a low ratio is a numerically higher number. 4.10 gears are low.

Your gears would indeed make your truck feel under powered. Harder and slower to accelerate but give you lower RPM's at higher speeds.

I don't know why anyone would want to do that to your truck.

Being off by 20mph is incredible!
    Here is a sight that will give you what your tire is off by and your mph You can check that with a GPS. I'm not doubting you but I can't help but think something is off, or your truck is just strange.

Try this site out http://www.eldemoniorojo.com/calculator.htm
    Go to the race calculator then scroll down it will give you your ratio based off of your tire diameter and RPMs. This will allow you to double check our answers, which I am sure are right but just hard to believe.

12. Oct 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    nice great find, thanks for the el demon rojo site im gonna go on a drive tonight and check my rpms at speed

and yes the reason i know my speed is off +20 is because i used gps...when im doing 70 im at 90 and i also feel like my tranny has bad shift points..it doesn't hold gears long at all it always shifts making me stomp the pedal more to keep accelerating

13. Oct 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Guys! He's only spinning one wheel! The other one remains stationary.

So you have roughly 2.6 x 2 or a 5.29 diff. :)

14. Oct 11, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Pretty sure he doesn't have 5.29 gears becase he would not be complaining about being under powered, nor would he be able to do 70+mph without his engine screaming for more gears.

15. Oct 11, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't waste my time with the tools until I was ready to change the guts.

16. Oct 12, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    no i did it both ways, i did it with both off the ground first than thought to try doing it with only one off the ground and got the exact same results

this is what im sayin...from what i know doing it this way is close enough and i cant imagine it being wrong when so many other people do it this way and get almost exactly the correct gear ratio..plus im picking up an entire new axle tomorrow morning with an e locker off of an 03 prerunner v6 so im just gonna swap the whole axle...hope it has 4:30's in it lol the guy doesnt know whats in it either ha ha:eek:

17. Oct 12, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Speedo reading 20mph FASTER than you are going....

Automatic transmission shift points confused all to hell, shifting too early unless you stomp it...

2.6 rotations of the driveshaft for one turn of ONE wheel...

History of huge body lift and huge oversize tires...

No man, what you've got right now is 5.29 gears. I'd bet you a sammich on it.

18. Oct 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Interesting...5.29? I have no idea what I have im just going by what iv read on how to calculate. So can you explain to me how the 2.6 driveshaft rotations makes a 5.26 ratio? Is there more math involved? Is it something to do with my type of dif?

19. Oct 12, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    What did you come up with using the links I posted and your test drive?

20. Oct 12, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    Stout890

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Honestly not much, I tried the rpm at speed calculator and I was getting crazy calculations all different depending what speed. I had got 3 different rpm readings and neither of them gave consistent gear ratios. Thanks though it was worth a shot. Maybe I didn't read the website directions good enough but if they had a specific speed to use the rpm from that would help plus I'm riding on 31's which probably aren't correct for my gearing and my tranny shifts weird and i assume isn't at the right rpm anyway.

But on a good not I got my new-ish axle today with a E-locker. I rotated the axle and watched the hub rotate and it goes just over 2 turn around.. So I'm thinking psu taco is right and it's probably around 4:10/4:30

Anyone know what an 01 v6 prerunner with e locker came geared in?...I know the lockers came in 4:10, 4:30-and like 4:50 something

Products Discussed in

To Top