Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

weird motor noise

Old 10-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
AK Toy is on a distinguished road
AK Toy's Tacoma Gallery
weird motor noise

my motor has like a whine to it almost sounds supercharged and has the ticking not sure if its the ticking everyone is talking about or not. anyone else have this? my truck is sittin at 109,500 miles.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
TnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnShooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TnShooter's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure the the wine is the motor?
I was in a 2005 single cab that had a whine, it was the rear end.

As for the ticking, my truck has a ticking sound. It has done it since I bought it.
I bought it with ~26,000 miles on it. I'd say the ticking is no worse than other cars/trucks I hear.

If it's not knocking I wouldn't worry about it.

Other than that, All I can complain about it the harsh shifting.
Which was more of a concern than a complain.
According to Toyota the shifting is normal....
Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
AK Toy's Tacoma Gallery
what part of the rear end would make that noise?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem, it was a tensioner pulley bearing in the engine. Does it go up and down as you rev the engine sitting stil or is it only happening as you are moving? Did you drive through water recently, its been known to cause premature failure of the pulley bearings.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
AK Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
I had the same problem, it was a tensioner pulley bearing in the engine. Does it go up and down as you rev the engine sitting stil or is it only happening as you are moving? Did you drive through water recently, its been known to cause premature failure of the pulley bearings.
sounds about right it happened shortly playing in a big puddle, i ended up ripping a cv boot lol not to sound like a dumba## but which pulley is the tensioner pulley? and how much was it?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
justanotherface is on a distinguished road
Marines: 0311 2nd BN 8th Marines- 3rd MARDIV
justanotherface's Tacoma Gallery
My 2009 Crew Cab 4.0 L (35K miles) has the same ticking noise...took it to the dealer and put t on the machine..turned out to be normal fuel injector noise..no worries I was told.

JAF
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
AK Toy's Tacoma Gallery
huh.. odd haha