Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Yellow Top or Red Top, your help please

Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
JGUT will become famous soon enough
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
Yellow Top or Red Top, your help please

The battery on my 2008 Tacoma Pre-Runner double cab finally went to the grave. So I want to go with a good battery and I've heard good things about Optima.

So do I choose the yellow top or red top? I live in Arizona and cold weather is not an issue. I do however have a sound system installed and a car alarm.

Thanks guys for your input.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I like red.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
how big is your sound system/alternator
Old 10-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
I also prefer the Red Top. There is a local guy on CL selling them for 100 buck..
Old 10-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brendan
06taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the yellow top and a stereo with about 1500 watt RMS and a alarm/remote start. If you have a stereo I would suggest getting the yellow top as its designed for vehicles with stereos. I have two amps and a capacitor for my stereo and no matter how loud I play it the headlights don't dim. Its worth spending the extra money and getting a good battery, just my 2cents!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
There is no need to waste your money on an an Optima battery especially if you don't have a stereo system with amps and whatnot. Also I don't know if you were aware but Optima was having some quality issues with their batteries not too long ago.

Duralast and Interstate are the most reliable and durable batteries on the market.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
how big is your sound system/alternator
I'm not sure on the size of the alternator but my truck is the TRD pre-runner and I believe it has a tow package.

For my stereo I have two kicker amp, one for the two subs and one for all the door speakers. Thanks for the help. And now this is the first time I heard that Optima was having quality issues @ Yamaha Dave
Old 10-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
can't go wrong with a yellow top, i have it because of my winch and eventually stereo, i think the "stories" of issues with optima's are just like any other battery, i hear issues with even the cheap batteries> you basically get what you pay for. if your running a big time stereo, definetly get a deep cycle.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Tacoma Addict
Nubes has a spectacular aura aboutNubes has a spectacular aura about

Name: Chris
Nubes's Tacoma Gallery
I have no experience with the Optima batteries, but when I was looking for a battery I did a lot of reading and from the best I can tell the Duralast batteries are probably the best bang for your buck. Made by Johnson Controls and you can get em at any Autozone. I bought the Duralast Gold for my 05 Taco at just a little over $100 and I had zero issues with it while I had that truck. If you were running your sound system and alarm off the stock battery I see no need to spend twice as much on an Optima. But ultimately get whatever is going to give you the most peace of mind which sounds like you may want the Optima YellowTop given that it is designed to support multiple accessories.

From Optima site:
RedTop: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.

YellowTop: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubes View Post
I have no experience with the Optima batteries, but when I was looking for a battery I did a lot of reading and from the best I can tell the Duralast batteries are probably the best bang for your buck. Made by Johnson Controls and you can get em at any Autozone. I bought the Duralast Gold for my 05 Taco at just a little over $100 and I had zero issues with it while I had that truck. If you were running your sound system and alarm off the stock battery I see no need to spend twice as much on an Optima. But ultimately get whatever is going to give you the most peace of mind which sounds like you may want the Optima YellowTop given that it is designed to support multiple accessories.

From Optima site:
RedTop: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.

YellowTop: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators.
Thanks this information is very helpful. Now unfortunately i'm out of the country and I'm not due back for another two months so I'm trying to get my family to change out the battery. Will it hurt the truck to have the battery disconnected for a long period of time? I know my Mom has had issues with her 2000 Toyota Tundra in the past where the truck ran rough after the battery was replaced. My Uncle said it was because the computer reset itself. Does any of this make sense?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06taco View Post
I have the yellow top and a stereo with about 1500 watt RMS and a alarm/remote start. If you have a stereo I would suggest getting the yellow top as its designed for vehicles with stereos. I have two amps and a capacitor for my stereo and no matter how loud I play it the headlights don't dim. Its worth spending the extra money and getting a good battery, just my 2cents!
Good info. By the way the autozone website says that the yellow (or red) optima "check for hood clearance, requires a height clearance adapter". What are they talking about? I don't have the sport hood with the scoop, did you have any issues with height or clearance?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
DirtLifeTaco will become famous soon enough
Navy: Aviation Ordnance
Name: Justin
DirtLifeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yellow Top

Im running a yellow top, Got 1200 watt amp with 2F Capacitor and two twelve's with remote start and alarm system!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #15
06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brendan
06taco's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't have any clearance issues with my 06 trd offroad package, the only thing you have to do is use the plastic top piece that comes with the battery. It doubles as a lifter bracket and it allows you to use your factory battery tie down. When I bought my battery I went onto advance auto parts website and bought it cause I saved 20% and then drove there and picked it up. I think I payed about $165 out the door for the yellow top which I felt was a good deal.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #16
bram will become famous soon enoughbram will become famous soon enough
Name: Bram
bram's Tacoma Gallery
yelow top
Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
OptimaJim is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
OptimaJim's Tacoma Gallery
JGUT, before you purchase any battery, I would encourage you to check your parasitic draw. While many aftermarket stereo and alarms systems never cause any problems, some will have significant key-off loads, which can shorten the life of any battery. This video explains how to measure your parasitic draw.

Given the potential electrical demands of your vehicle, I would recommend a YellowTop battery over a RedTop. Yamaha Dave, I work for Optima and while I frequently hear of folks who are having battery and/or electrical issues blamed on their battery, I'm not aware of any quality issues on our end. In fact, many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged.

The key to long battery life, regardless of brand, is proper voltage maintenance. Fully-charged, our YellowTops will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts, but when any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts and allowed to sit, suflation begins to diminish both capacity and lifespan. JGUT, if your vehicle regularly sees extended periods of non-use, a quality battery maintainer would be a good investment, with a cheaper alternative being to disconnect a fully-charged battery when you leave.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #18
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
I'm deciding on which battery to get now, too. I'm thinking yellow top, since I use my inverter with 400W-all-the-time mod rather frequently.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #19
AK Toy is on a distinguished road
AK Toy's Tacoma Gallery
i have never heard anything bad about optimas till now. i like them they can be mounted how ever the eff you want to put it. id go yellow top because it recharges faster than the red. the red top is for bigger engines that need the juce just to start. not the constant power you would need for a sterio. so yellow all the way man
Old 11-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #20
Tacokevin will become famous soon enough
Name: Kevin
Tacokevin's Tacoma Gallery
yellow top

Just installed yesterday.....cool thing is the mounting brackets you can get make for a nice install
Attached Thumbnails
Yellow Top or Red Top, your help please-photo-1.jpg   Yellow Top or Red Top, your help please-photo-2.jpg