Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Recommended intake system

Old 10-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalvan210 View Post
I must admit im a bit hard headed, but I do appriciate all the input on the thread. im just picky and want/trying to get maximum performance out of my tacoma.
5000 for a supercharger. That will actually make a difference.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #22
1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future
Firefighter: EMT/HAZMAT technician
Name: Michael
1969novaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I love my volant intake. I got it with the skewp also. It sounds great and there is some performance increase at least by seat dyno. When put it on, I cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body. Truck runs great.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #23
ggalvan210 is on a distinguished road
Army: Alpha Company, 1st Battalion 327th INF, 101st Airborne Division
Name: Goose
ggalvan210's Tacoma Gallery
sweet
Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #24
creeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud ofcreeper has much to be proud of
creeper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wheres a good website to find a K&N intake system??
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers View Post
ive heard that google is the best website to find one.
I heard K&N's website is even better
Old 10-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #26
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I came accross this Volant intake system on the volant website. what do you'all think? is this to much? im just trying to get the horsepower and gas milage back to the way it was before the big ass tires.
NOTHING is going to get your mileage back. That is the price for bigass tires. You can have either, not both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969novaguy View Post
I love my volant intake. I got it with the skewp also. It sounds great and there is some performance increase at least by seat dyno. When put it on, I cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body. Truck runs great.
Performance increase is placebo effect.

Quote:
sweet
Let's be clear: NO intake alone is going to make a performance difference on these trucks. They primarily change the engine note to make it more pleasant.

Snorkel will improve gas mileage, but not to where it was before you lifted and added tires. You also get the obvious water-fording advantages.

Other than that, you have to move up to supercharger for performance increases. And that'll suck even more fuel - premium fuel at that.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #27
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
If you have "big-ass" tires and have lost some perf/mpg,,, a re-gear might be your best bet. Possibly consider some headers. An intake "might" get you 3-5hp at the top end of the rpm range,,, hardly noticeable, same appies to a catback if you are so inclined. You also might consider a MAF calibrator, especially if you're set on a Volant, but be aware that this only makes an improvement when in open loop (close to WOT, or cold engine, for the most part).

There's not alot of NA improvements on this engine that are noticable gainers. An APR X-1 is not an option since you have an '11.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #28
well thanks for the advice, not only was it helpful but it educated me as well. Im not gonna lie, I am new to this whole scence so im starting to pick up things as I go.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #29
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
stock box with a decent filter, (K&N, TRD, AFE-dry)
Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #30
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post

Other than that, you have to move up to supercharger for performance increases. And that'll suck even more fuel - premium fuel at that.
Side note, since my OBD reader came in i've been monitoring my S/c'd Fuel Consumption, not sure how calibrated it is but its reading about 23.5 MPG's
Old 10-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #31
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Let's be clear: NO intake alone is going to make a performance difference on these trucks. They primarily change the engine note to make it more pleasant.

If we are talking about the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6, then that statement is completely in error.

On many engines these days there is little or no increase in power when an aftermarket air intake is installed, but that is not the case on the 1GR.

When URD got our 2005 Tacoma, I immediately started looking for the "FREE" hp mods that I found for the older 3.4L V6. All of that is detailed on my website www.GadgetOnline.com.

I got on the dyno and started running tests and tested it without the big main tube installed. No gain in power. Tested it with the lid off of the air filter box. No gain in power. Tested it with the carbon trap removed. No gain in power. Tested it with the lid off, the main filter out and the carbon trap out, NO GAIN IN POWER.

It was very clear that the stock air filter box its self had to go. It makes sense if you really look at the design of it. The air has to make several sharp turns in there before it gets into the engine. All these turns makes so much turbulence that Toyota had to install a flow straightener before the MAF to calm things down to get a clean reading. All this adds up to a significant flow restriction.

This led to the development of the URD TCAI. On my 2005 XRunner it gained around 18 RWHP over the stock air filter box and the faster you drive it take advantage of the increased dynamic air pressure that builds up in front of the vehicle to force more air into the engine then would normally be pulled in for more power.

The URD TCAI was intended to be a street performance intake and it is ideal for the XRunners. If you are an avid off roader and go through creeks and streams it is not the intake for you. For you guys we have the aFe Stage 2si intake.

aFe used to make the intake system for TRD and it is a very good intake. I tested that on my 2006 4Runner with the 1GR and the gain was 12 RWHP over the stock air filter box and we keep a large stock of these intakes with the ProDryS synthetic filter on the self at URD.

Those are the two intakes we recommend the most. There are some others we have gained experience with over the years and here are a few:

Volant- Nice design overall but there is a significant design problem that makes the MAF read very high causing the engine to run very rich killing power. Generally most with the Volant will have a loss of power over stock due to the increase in the richness of the fuel mixture. URD has a special program for our MAF Cal to address this. On one customer' truck a dyno test showed a loss of 15 RWHP with the Volant and after a retune with the URD MAF Cal the gain was 30 RWHP (15 over the stock intake only after correction).

AirAid- We have dyno tested this and there is no gain because they retain the stock air filter box and convert it to a hot air intake. They are basically just sticking a cone filter where the main air tube is and removing the filter media from inside the air filter box.

There are others that are hot air intakes, your basic filter on a stick and they pull in hot engine compartment air. This is not good for making power in general.

If I can help you with a URD or an aFe intake, let me know.

G
Old 10-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #32
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^^^^ This

Having personally owned both the AFE stage 2ci and now a URDTCAI, I definitely notice a difference in both
Old 10-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #33
Go home Nubbs, street lights are off!
pancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to beholdpancho is a splendid one to behold
Name: Pancho
pancho's Tacoma Gallery
what did you do with your stock wheels of the tx?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho View Post
... are you asking me??? and what are you asking
Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #35
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
^^^^ This

Having personally owned both the AFE stage 2ci and now a URDTCAI, I definitely notice a difference in both
I honestly did not feel a difference until high RPM but it didn't feel like 12 horsepower. I guess the numbers don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho View Post
WTF?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

WTF?
I know right?? Good, I thought my brain snapped and it was just me
Old 11-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #37
I have them stored away. why do you ask if you dont mind me asking?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #38
THIS IS AMERICA!!!
Cortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shedCortland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cortland
Cortland's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Pro Dry Filter
Old 12-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #40
TacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The Volant kit makes the engine run rich. You don't gain power that you will feel or MPGs that you will notice just by adding an intake. I have a good TRD intake. It makes noise. That's it. We have been trying to tell you thins in the whole thread but you don't seem to get it. Do as you want though.
I will dissagree with you, with the right setup you can feel power difference and you will really notice it if you are stressing your motor under a heavy tow, and when my foot is out of it with factory tires im get average 1.6mpg better.