Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Write-Up: Torque APP OBD2 Reader

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #322
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Interesting to see if someone retro fits a TFT screen for the gauge cluster and has it running Torque. That would be interesting. Bring Mercedes and others tech to the masses.
I've seen it on some forums where people run small Android tablets add their stereo in their dash and have torque running as well.

I run it on my old Android. wouldn't be that hard to make up a custom steering wheel gauge pod for the phone. But fiber glassing or similar is something I don't have three patience for, do I just run it in a window auction cup mount.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #323
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaqori View Post
The ELM327 is like $11 on Amazon...why are y'all determined to over pay? Lol
Some of the cheap ones don't refresh fast enough, break easily, won't connect, etc...

I've got the kiwi Bluetooth one. World well, had a high refresh rate for data logging, and was only like $100.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #324
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. DTOM
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Some of the cheap ones don't refresh fast enough, break easily, won't connect, etc...

I've got the kiwi Bluetooth one. World well, had a high refresh rate for data logging, and was only like $100.
Well...I guess that could be the issue.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #325
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
When I first bought the ELM 327 two years ago I dont remember it being on Amazon. Also it does refresh super slow and sometimes misses refreshes. It lasted two years though before breaking on me a few weeks ago.

I bought the OBDLink MX to replace it.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #326
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Headunit that runs Android

Is there a headunit that can run android apps like Torque? If so, it would make this so seamless!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #327
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Upgrading the sensor wouldn't work since the factory ecu is only able to read the narrowband. You would need to add a new bung, wide band sensor, and a gauge that can read the sensors analog output
Thats clear. Thanks. I know when I sold Ford, we had a Super Snake ( Shelby Mustang) In the back that was new, from the "factory" and it had Wideband. Just thought there might be a flash out there.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #328
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanamukubwa View Post
Is there a headunit that can run android apps like Torque? If so, it would make this so seamless!
That was what was looking for also. No, Not at this point is the answer I am finding through my research.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #329
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
When I first bought the ELM 327 two years ago I dont remember it being on Amazon. Also it does refresh super slow and sometimes misses refreshes. It lasted two years though before breaking on me a few weeks ago.

I bought the OBDLink MX to replace it.
NICE! Let me know how you like it. Mine has been great so far. Also, do not forget to do the firmware update on the MX.

Pro Tip- Turn the bluetooth OFF on your cell phone first. <- Don't ask me how I know...

Got to do the update through a Bluetooth enabled PC.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #330

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats clear. Thanks. I know when I sold Ford, we had a Super Snake ( Shelby Mustang) In the back that was new, from the "factory" and it had Wideband. Just thought there might be a flash out there.
In the Shelby its using the AFR to adjust other parameters to keep the engine operating in a certain range. On the Toyota its strictly emissions related and does not control any other engine/ecu parameters.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #331
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, Just wasn't sure how ours were setup. Would that URD computer for our trucks change anything?

By the way, thank you for the educated answers.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #332
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Wait, was it a kindle fire 2?

I was wondering if that would work.
Kindle 2 I'm pretty sure has Bluetooth. I have a rooted 1st gen running Jellybean android software, which has a Bluetooth switch. To my dismay, nothing happened when I turned it on. I'm just starting to get into Bluetooth stuff so I was never too worried about it till now.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #333
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
NICE! Let me know how you like it. Mine has been great so far. Also, do not forget to do the firmware update on the MX.

Pro Tip- Turn the bluetooth OFF on your cell phone first. <- Don't ask me how I know...

Got to do the update through a Bluetooth enabled PC.
You bought the MX ? Thanks for the update I'll remember that
Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #334
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, She's installed and working as advertised. If you need another person to do tests on their end, let me know and I'm more than happy to.

I still need to go through all the default gauges and remove the ones not used.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #335
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That was what was looking for also. No, Not at this point is the answer I am finding through my research.
Good to know i'm not the only one who wants this, maybe it'll actually happen soon.. just thought it would be cool to also be able to send navigation directions and task reminders to it over wifi.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #336
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Hey just got this installed on my 1st Gen and its awesome so far.
Tranny temp, Air/fuel, intake air temp and voltmeter. Lets see what else i can find.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #337
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
There should be the sensor list in green of al the available sensors
Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #338

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
Hey just got this installed on my 1st Gen and its awesome so far.
Tranny temp, Air/fuel, intake air temp and voltmeter. Lets see what else i can find.
Air fuel isn't really air fuel. See previous posts.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #339
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
It's the reading from O2 sensor. And the ecu keeping stoichiometric a/f ratio. What i want to read.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #340

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
It's the reading from O2 sensor. And the ecu keeping stoichiometric a/f ratio. What i want to read.
I know what it is, I'm just saying its reading the voltage output from the factory narrowband sensor, and converting it to "AFR" reading. All it is really telling you is if the AFR is within the factory spec range, not what the actual AFR is. You would need a wideband for that.

Products Discussed in this Thread