Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Write-Up: Torque APP OBD2 Reader

Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #21
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well I forgot to take my old phone when I went to dinner to check what readings we get. I took a picture of the mount though...

Next time I drive my truck I'll check everything (Marcel if you hit add display and start scrolling through all the options under gauge it'll have a star next to everything that has a signal)
Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #23
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
Can you verify for sure that you can read the transmission fluid temps with that thing? If so I'm going to let the folks at Linear Logic know (Scan Gauge II) so they can learn something lol
Verified on a 2011 V6 Auto Tranny Tacoma, the taco's have no transmission temp sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoTacoma View Post
Man thats really neat, I wish they would come out for one for the iphone. Or maybe i need a droid
Get a droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Pssh I was using torque before it was cool

I have an inactive OG droid so it just does full time torque duty in the truck. I bought a windshield mount for it off ebay but the suction cup quit sucking so I modified it... I'll take a pic when I go to dinner. I'll also check to see all the sensors that have data for 1st gens.
I want to see a pic of that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
Can this actually read AFRs for our trucks?
Yes, actually it reads 2 AFR values, the "measured" value (aka, the actual value) and the "commanded" value from the ecu.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #24
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post

Get a droid
My at and t contract just ended in august, is droid a os or an actual phone?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #25
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoTacoma View Post
My at and t contract just ended in august, is droid a os or an actual phone?
Android is the OS, my phone is actually the "Samsung Galaxy S2" on the Bell Network. Me and 3 other of my friends all have the same S2 phones because we think they beyond kick ass
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #26
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Bought the obd2 bluetooth off of amazon, for free had points
Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
Bought the obd2 bluetooth off of amazon, for free had points
Thats what she said
Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yes, actually it reads 2 AFR values, the "measured" value (aka, the actual value) and the "commanded" value from the ecu.
Would the actual value be suitable for using for tuning?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Would the actual value be suitable for using for tuning?
I think so yes I'm kinda still learning to..
Old 10-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #31

I believe it can be used for it, I just started pouring through the Gadget (URD's resident techy) Tuning reference manuals. Meaning I found them online and now gotta find the time to go through em. I really have no idea how to tune I think I know less then basics on tuning ATM.

But I'm learnin
Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #32
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt that Torque will be able to go into the PCM and change the different values. I think that reading and manipulating the data to produce other performance data will be it's strong suite.

All in all it is very hard to beat at a less than $30 price point.

FWIW there are not too many posters on this forum that are really interested in performance data and how to tune the Tacoma to obtain greater HP output. That is understandable considering the rear end gear ratios do not lend themselves for racing performance other than in a 1/4 mile.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #33

True, which is why I also frequent xr-u.com
Old 10-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #35
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
I always thought that you had to install an 02 sensor and get some wideband reading equipment.

I should post this question up on XRU. Or ask Gadget.

Either way, I am excited.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #36

Quote:
I always thought that you had to install an 02 sensor and get some wideband reading equipment.

I should post this question up on XRU. Or ask Gadget.

Either way, I am excited.
x2, you want the link to the Xr-u.com torque thread??
Old 11-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #37
LGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC2(SW)
Name: Rob
LGE RAW's Tacoma Gallery
Torque's latest update came with a new custom PID called Transmission Temperature(Method 3) that loaded with what appears to be an accurate temp for the transmission fluid. I wouldn't mind a bit more info from them on how to set up custom PID using Torque. Anyone have any tips for setting up custom PIDs?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #38

Define what you mean by PID???
And i checked out an auto 2011 v6 and never received a transmission temp reading
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #39
LGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC2(SW)
Name: Rob
LGE RAW's Tacoma Gallery
PID is Parameter ID

Quote:
Define what you mean by PID???
And i checked out an auto 2011 v6 and never received a transmission temp reading
All info below has been worked out after page 8. Look there for info on programing PIDs for Torque for 05-09 and 10+ Tacomas.

I found this info on Ian's forum for crossing Scanguage to Torque:

Link: http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforu...wtopic&t=352.0

We need to fill in the following fields on Torque
OBD2 PID
Long Name
Short Name
Min Value
Max Value
Scale Factor
Unit Type
Equation
with the following from SGII
GAUGE
TXD
RXF
RXD
MTH
NAM
NOTES
As we go through the tutorial I will use the following for an example
Engine Oil Temperature 07E0221310 046245130610 3010 00090005F05F EOT Degrees F
OBD2 PID
This field comes from the TXD of the SGII file. There are 2 flavors, CAN (controller Area Network) and the rest of the older OBD2 protocols. If it is CAN, you want to use all the characters after “07DF” or “07E0”. If it is “07E1”, then Torque will likely not work for this gauge as the ELM327 may need specific instructions to communicate the transmission control module.
For all the other protocols, you want to use all the characters after the “F1”.
Our example: 221310
Long Name
Take this value from the GAUGE field
Our example: Engine Oil Temperature
Short Name
Take this value from the NAM field
Our Example: EOT
MIN/MAX
These are really determined by the data you are gathering and can be set up after you have your equation. Torque does a pretty good job of rescaling gauges if the data over steps the range.
Scale Factor
I always leave this as 1 because we can scale in the equation if we need to. However, SGII may do some prescaling that you should be aware of before you implement your equation.
Unit Type
Take this value for the notes field
Our example: F
Equation
Now for the most complicated part.
First look at the RXD field. Don’t worry about the first 2 characters. If the second 2 characters are “08”, then you have 1 byte of data and you will only need an “A” in your equation. If the second 2 characters are “10”, then you have 2 bytes of data and you will need to start off your equation like ((A*256)+B). Don’t ask why. This isn’t a lesson in hexadecimal.
Our example: “10”-> ((A*256)+B)
Now look at the MTH field. It is separated in 3 sections. It may look like this 00090005F05F. The first 4 characters (0009 in our example) are the multiplier. These values are in hex so you must convert them to decimal. Open up the windows calculator and makes sure it is set to scientific view. Click the hex circle and enter in the first 4 characters. Then click the decimal circle. The value displayed is what you want to use in torque. Repeat this step for the second 4 characters (0005 in our example) and you will have the divisor. The final four are the trickiest. If you have an F,E,D,C,B,A,9,8 as the first character as we do in our example, then this will be a negative number. To calculate this use windows calculator and set it to HEX. Enter the value and click XOR and enter “FFFE”. Click “=”, then click the decimal circle and you will see what value you have to subtract from the equation. If there isn’t, then we will be adding this value. And you proceed the same as with the multiply and divide to the value.
Our example: 9/5-4001
The final thing to pay attn to is the RXF field. Which may look like 046245130610. Pay close attn to 0462->4-5130610. If you see a 4 here, then your data must be multiplied by 100. If you see an 8, then your data must be multiplied by 10. If it is 0, then don’t worry about this part.
Our example: *100
Final equation: ((A*256)+B)*100*(9/5)-4001
This is only a guide and not a bible. If you can’t get data for a PID it can me two things, you entered it wrong or your car doesn’t support it. Just b/c your car as a certain sensor it does NOT mean your vehicle will support the PID to get that data.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #40
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my ELM 327 in the mail, it does not have the bluetooth symbol on it and it has a permanent usb wire connected to it. Want to be sure that this will not work before returning it... is there something special i need to do to get it to connect to my phone?