Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Write-Up: Torque APP OBD2 Reader

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #381
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
equation codes

when I try inputting the codes it would not take the equation values and keeps telling me this message; equation: check parentheses. Anybody know what is going on here?

Do these codes work with the free version copy of Torque?

I have a 2005 Tacoma 4.0, 6cyl
Old 01-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #382
Robb235 is on a distinguished road

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypp1 View Post
Hello all, Im glad to see that a lot of progress was made determining the PID equation for tarnny temps in 2006-2013 Tacomas. I see there are some people that say they have tranny temp for 1st gen tacomas, but Im having difficulty getting a reading on my 2000 tacoma prerunner (V6).

Can someone that is getting good transmission temp readings on a 1st Gen Auto please post the PID equation/parameters that they are using?

Thanks a bunch!

-Jay
I have a '99 4Runner (3rd generation) which is very similar to 1st Gen Tacomas... I have the iPhone app "Engine Link" which also allows for custom PIDs. Try this one, it worked for me:

OBD2 Mode and PID: 01B4
Long Name: Transmission Fluid Temperature
Short Name: TFT
Minimum Value: 0.0
Maximum value: 300.0
Scale factor: x1
Unit Type: F
Equation: A*(9/5)-38
OBD Header to use: 0 (I put in zero for my iPhone's "Engine Link" app. You might need to leave it blank for Torque)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #383
jaypp1 is on a distinguished road
jaypp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb235 View Post
I have a '99 4Runner (3rd generation) which is very similar to 1st Gen Tacomas... I have the iPhone app "Engine Link" which also allows for custom PIDs. Try this one, it worked for me:

OBD Header to use: 0 (I put in zero for my iPhone's "Engine Link" app. You might need to leave it blank for Torque)
Thanks, Ill give it a try and post if it works (may be a week or so before I have time to get around to this)
Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #384

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
My drive to work yesterday.

Write-Up: Torque APP OBD2 Reader-imageuploadedbytapatalk1389886246.283405.jpg
Old 01-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #385
jaypp1's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have to have the full (pro) version of torque for custom PIDs to work? I have the free version and can enter custom PID, but when I enter it for tranny temp per above, I get no reading (though it displays as an icon gage). I really only want torque for tranny temp and will gladly pay for full version, but not if tranny temp for first gen tacomas wont work.
I notice when I exit out of torque, my custom PID disappears and im sure thats cause I have the free version. However I figured since it lets me create the custom PID and display it on my screen as a gage, it would work. Am I wrong here?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #386
jaypp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

See my above post. I tried, but I get no reading (not even a bogus one). Am I doing something wrong? I have free version of torque but swear I remember entering other custom PIDs and getting readings.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #387

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have to have the full (pro) version of torque for custom PIDs to work? I have the free version and can enter custom PID, but when I enter it for tranny temp per above, I get no reading (though it displays as an icon gage). I really only want torque for tranny temp and will gladly pay for full version, but not if tranny temp for first gen tacomas wont work.
I notice when I exit out of torque, my custom PID disappears and im sure thats cause I have the free version. However I figured since it lets me create the custom PID and display it on my screen as a gage, it would work. Am I wrong here?
No clue about Torque. I'm using an iPhone 4 with an app called "Engine Link". My phone is jail broken, and I'm using BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth adapter.

Are you 100% sure your rig has a trans temp sensor? I know 4Runners didn't get them until '99. Not sure about Tacomas.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #388
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Ummm was using this version of Torque, the Pro/ Full version. Thats the same everyone else is right? http://mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=...0&hilit=torque
Old 01-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #389
jaypp1's Tacoma Gallery
Im pretty sure that the 2000 Tacoma has a Transmission Temp sensor. Maybe Im inputting the PID wrong?
Can anyone else comment if the free version of Torque allows you to create and see custom PIDs (until you exit out of the app)?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #390
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was able to create a custom PID with the free version of torque, I had to unplug and replug my ELM327 (OBD thingie) before the TFT showed up on the gauge.

I'm not so sure of the temps i was getting though.

This was right after i'd taken my truck for a short drive (.3 miles max) with very little idling.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #391

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
I was able to create a custom PID with the free version of torque, I had to unplug and replug my ELM327 (OBD thingie) before the TFT showed up on the gauge.

I'm not so sure of the temps i was getting though.

This was right after i'd taken my truck for a short drive (.3 miles max) with very little idling.
When you first start the truck when it's cold, what does your TFT register?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #392
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When you first start the truck when it's cold, what does your TFT register?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #393

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And you're sure you entered in the formula correctly?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #394
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure i did
I reentered the PID this morning to pull that number (i guess it disappears if you close the app) and then went for a mile long drive and got these numbers
Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #395

Robb235's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm pretty sure i did
I reentered the PID this morning to pull that number (i guess it disappears if you close the app) and then went for a mile long drive and got these numbers
I'm not sure...

I'm using an iPhone and an app called Engine Link, but they both require the same PID information, formula, etc.

Here's another shot of mine while at the drive-thru pharmacy.

Write-Up: Torque APP OBD2 Reader-imageuploadedbytapatalk1390142496.088429.jpg
Old 02-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #396
I like my truck!
1tacoplease is on a distinguished road

Army: SGT - ret.
1tacoplease's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2008 6 speed manual and I can't get AFR readings. Is there something I have to do?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #397
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
I'm not even going to read the 11 pages-- I have the app and love it.

I have the $5 torque app (way better than the lite) and two Amazon.com cheapo bluetooths (one for the tool box, one for running around) and for a more 'permanent' mount, an OBDlink MX because a) doesn't constantly ask for the pin like the Amazon/Ebay ones and b) has a sleep mode not draining the battery when sitting for long periods of time.

A bonus for the paid torque app, it has the PID to watch auto tranny temps in the 1st gens (at least my 2001). I have a HUGE HUGE ass hayden and my temps still got really high when driving through GMR on the way to some off-roading. Good info to know, maybe its time for a rebuild, or a different cooler configuration (ducting, remove OE cooler from series connection etc).
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #398
DizzyD is on a distinguished road
DizzyD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
I'm not even going to read the 11 pages-- I have the app and love it.

I have the $5 torque app (way better than the lite) and two Amazon.com cheapo bluetooths (one for the tool box, one for running around) and for a more 'permanent' mount, an OBDlink MX because a) doesn't constantly ask for the pin like the Amazon/Ebay ones and b) has a sleep mode not draining the battery when sitting for long periods of time.
Do you notice any latency difference between the Cheap Amazon versions and the OBDlink MX? The OBDlink MX claims that they are up to 4 times faster than there competitors, but I find that hard to believe. Just curious if you noticed any difference.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #399
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: Canadain bumber technician
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you who just read through 20 pages and couldnt find information for using the elm 327 running on windows based lap tops , I will be writing up a short how to using the supplied windows based application called scantool.net113win . instead of the torque app . I hate Blackberry !!!
Just purchased the Elm 327 bluetooth and in the process of connecting now .
I looked all over for information but nothing much comes up
I will throw a link at this thread when I get everything running properly
For now I will add the you tube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNUaSp1bRnc
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #400
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
What is the latest consensus on the bluetooth devices? Are the $25 ones fine for occaisional use, such as tranny temp monitoring while towing? Or it the MX the best bet for $100. Any other good ones in between those two price points?

This would be for an Android using the Torque app.

Products Discussed in this Thread