Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Write-Up: Torque APP OBD2 Reader

Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Write-Up: Torque APP OBD2 Reader

Okay so I figured I'd make this now, to start informing people as I learn and figure it out.

I bought:
5$ - "Torque Pro" App for my Android (Galaxy S2) phone
https://market.android.com/details?i...l.torque&hl=en (There is also a free version of this app called "Torque", just has less features.)

20$ - ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth reader
http://www.hoyasource.com/hottest-bl...tool-p-75.html

(Remember to unplug the reader when vehicle is not in use as I noticed it stays lit up so it is still drawing power)

So as it sits right now you can have this system for dirt freaken cheap, I say its worth it.

It so far kicks ass, I now have access to all the values being read in my Taco, and being that this is a universal system, I can plug and play it into any vehicle made post 1997 (When they standardized to OBDII). If the vehicle measures more values, then more values show up on my phone. It can show me Mileage, speed, gps tracking, intake temp, coolant temps, AFR's, tranny temps (If your an auto), the list goes on and on. There is a way to measure HP and Torque on it too. Still learning because its such a broad device.

OP will be updated as I figure more shit out. Any questions just ask!
Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

***Straight from their website***
Measure Torque, BHP & 0-60
Clear car OBD faults
View engine data in Google Earth
See what your car is doing in realtime, get OBD fault codes, car performance, sensor data and more!
Torque is a vehicle / car performance / diagnostics tool that uses an OBD II Bluetooth adapter to connect to your OBD2 engine management / ECU
Layout your own dashboard with the widgets / gauges you want!
It can use the GPS to provide tracker logs with engine logging so you can see what you were doing at any point in time
It can also show and reset a DTC / CEL / fault code like a scantool.
Torque also features:
* Dyno / Dynomometer and Horsepower/HP & Torque
* Can read Transmission Temperatures (vehicle dependant)
* 0-60 speed timings – more accurate than just using plain old GPS – see how fast your car is (or truck )
* CO2 emissions readout
* Customisable dashboards
* Video your journey using the Track Recorder plugin with onscreen OBDII data overlay – a black box for you car/truck!
* Automatically send GPS tagged tweets directly to twitter (for example if you are going on a road trip)
* Massive fault code database for allowing lookup of fault codes from many different manufacturers
* Theme support (choose from different themes to change the look of your dashboard)
* Send logging information to web or email CSV/KML for analysis via excel / openoffice
* Heads up display / HUD mode for night time driving
* Compass (GPS Based) that won’t suffer magnetic interference
* GPS Speedometer/Tracking and realtime web upload capability – see what you were doing and your engine, at a point in time
* Turbo boost feature for vehicles that support MAP and MAF sensors (VW / Audi / Seat etc supported)
* Alarms and warnings (for example if your coolant temperature goes over 120C whilst driving) with voice/speech overlay
* Car dock support
* Graph data
* Able to share screenshots to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Email, etc
* AIDL API for connecting third party apps, A simple Telnet interface for developers to talk to the adapter, and an OBD scanner.
* Works on tablet devices like the Motorola Xoom, Dell Streak, and Samsung Galaxy Tab
Works on any vehicle that uses the OBD 2 standard (most vehicles built after 2000, but can work for vehicles as far back as 1996) – if in doubt check with your manufacturer first or look for ‘OBD2′ on written on a big white label in your engine bay
Works on vehicles made by Ford, GM/Vauxhall/Opel, Chrysler, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Jaguar, Citroen, Peugoet, Skoda, Kia, Mazda, Lexus, Daewoo, Renault, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Toyota, Seat, Dodge, Jeep, Pontiac and many more vehicle makes, European, US, Far East, etc. Some vehicle ECUs may support more/less features than others.
The app needs a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter to work. The adapter is small and plugs into the diagnostics socket on the car which gives your phone access. You can find a list of adapters on: http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters (Garmin EcoRoute HD adapters not supported).
If you buy one of the cheap china OBD2 ELM327 bluetooth adapters from ebay / amazon, then make sure you have a good returns policy with the seller as quite a few of the cheap units are defective and ‘stop working’/etc.
Some of the best reliable OBD2 / OBD adapters are the Scantool.net adapter, the OBDKey adapter, and PLX Devices Kiwi Bluetooth, ELM327 and other ELM adapters are supported – search on google for them
More features added every release – there are forums at http://torque-bhp.com/forums/ – if you want something added then let me know and I’ll try to add it if it is possible! Vehicle ECUs vary in the amount of sensors supported
Old 10-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
16$ is for 10 or more, its 20$ for one
Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #5

Well, I know the website lists about 60 diferent values but our Taco's only measure probably 35-40ish of them. I want to make an actual list of what is monitored for us and I'll post it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
16$ is for 10 or more, its 20$ for one
Thx for the heads up, OP changed
Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
Interesting, I wonder if it's better then my Ultra-Gauge
I think it is most definitely more user friendly (Its colourful and flashy, I like flashy) but I've never owned a UG so not sure how it compares.

Also, all of those can be customized, I can change what gauges I want to read, change the sizing and the guage type too. Like for example, I can have just the RPM Gauge anything from a needle gauge, bar gauge, bar graph, scatterplot graph, straight up digital readout. I can change background skins too!

There is also tilt and roll gauges for you offroading types, or those of you with the intentions of flipping your car.... *cough lilredstud cough*
Old 10-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm, buying now

that website wanted over 20 bucks for shipping

looking on ebay now, ebay sucks lost interest in purchase
Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #8

Found a good Youtube video that shows all the capabilities of it. If you've got 10 minutes here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSOzQ...eature=related
Old 10-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
Can you verify for sure that you can read the transmission fluid temps with that thing? If so I'm going to let the folks at Linear Logic know (Scan Gauge II) so they can learn something lol
I don't own an automatic tacoma but i do live near the dealership, i'll stop by on the way to work and find out
Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
I should be able to start to play with mine this Saturday. I believe the shed I am building will be finished tomorrow. THX for the heads up on this combo. The entire set up cost less than a lot of the basic code readers that are out there.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
I should be able to start to play with mine this Saturday. I believe the shed I am building will be finished tomorrow. THX for the heads up on this combo. The entire set up cost less than a lot of the basic code readers that are out there.
Yup, and my favourite part, 100% universal to any vehicle and Torque app auto internet updates and full support. Had it 1 day and already read a code on my buddies jeep for him
Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Just got mine for $15.36 Shipped. Been wanting to try it out for a while. Looking forward to see how it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-OBD2...9153359&sr=1-4
Old 10-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #15

Just purchased the "Track Recorder" add on for the torque app, and by purchased i mean downloaded and installed for free. I'll let you know how it works
Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie View Post
Is there an app for the iphone or just android?
Android only for right now, I think it only came out in early Sept. I'm sure ones in developement its stupid popular on the market right now
Old 10-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Man thats really neat, I wish they would come out for one for the iphone. Or maybe i need a droid
Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Pssh I was using torque before it was cool

I have an inactive OG droid so it just does full time torque duty in the truck. I bought a windshield mount for it off ebay but the suction cup quit sucking so I modified it... I'll take a pic when I go to dinner. I'll also check to see all the sensors that have data for 1st gens.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #20
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Can this actually read AFRs for our trucks?