Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

JBA Long Tubes Installed

Old 10-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
TheHansen is on a distinguished road

TheHansen's Tacoma Gallery
JBA Long Tubes Installed

I got my jba long tubes and o2 sim from urd today. Everything went in all right, no cel and no leaks.

The new sound at idle, and very mild take offs is incredible. Verrry deep.

But if i get on it, the rasp is crazy when paired with my aero turbine 2525.

Now the truck felt sluggish on the first test drive. (battery had been disconnected for a while) Will the performance at least go back to normal when my truck relearns for the new headers?

I did do a couple 0-60 runs pre install which averaged 7.2 s.
I have yet to time another run.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Did you buy a MAF calibrator from urd too?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #4

I think it did just need to readjust to the new setup. Highway speed acceleration is much better with the headers. I did notice a decrease in the mid range, but it feels a little more torquey at real low rpms (pedal feels more touchy when first taking off). Obviously not by much, but it feels a little different.

So minus the really loud rasp (kind of expected though) i am happy with my purchase. Everything line up and bolted up great, sounds good, and pretty sure i got some performance gains.

Now next on my list is a MAF calibrator, a wideband afr gauge since i have the extra bungs on the new headers to tune it, and possibly an afe stage 2 cai. Haven't really decided if a CAI is worth it or not from all the mixed reviews about them.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #5

Update:
Brought the same friend with me as when i did the 0-60 runs before the headers. filled my tank up to the same place, and went to the same place and timed a few more runs. I tried to make sure all the variables were the same, to get as accurate as possible of a comparison.

pre headers
0-60 = 7.2s
with headers
0-60 = 6.8s - 6.9s it was back and forth between the two

definite improvement, I'm very surprised.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Unleashed is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Unleashed's Tacoma Gallery
whats up guy i just bought the JBA long tube headers for my 05 tacoma and i just wanted to know if i am going to need anything beside the headers i bought? just want to make sure my truck doesnt run funny for mess anything up.

thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHansen View Post
Update:
Brought the same friend with me as when i did the 0-60 runs before the headers. filled my tank up to the same place, and went to the same place and timed a few more runs. I tried to make sure all the variables were the same, to get as accurate as possible of a comparison.

pre headers
0-60 = 7.2s
with headers
0-60 = 6.8s - 6.9s it was back and forth between the two

definite improvement, I'm very surprised.
Once the OEM ecu relearned itself is when it would really make improvement. Like you noticed.

There is another mod that you can do to your exhaust, depending on which cat back you have. If you have one. It will really increase the flow, and pick you up a few more ponies as well.

I will post pics later when I get to a computer. It is easier visualized than explained.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleashed View Post
whats up guy i just bought the JBA long tube headers for my 05 tacoma and i just wanted to know if i am going to need anything beside the headers i bought? just want to make sure my truck doesnt run funny for mess anything up.

thanks
The only other thing you would really need is the O2 simulator, like the OP purchased. To prevent a check engine light, for no cats.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the second mod that I mentioned earlier. It deals with the Y-pipe to cat back specifically. Here are the OEM and URD 4x4 Y-pipe next to each other.

The point of interest is the flange where the Y-pipes mate to the catback exhaust. As you can see, they both bottle neck down, right before that flange. Now the URD is much improved over the OEM, due to being made out of 304 SS and having all mandrel bends. Equals less flow restiction and better power. However, due to the fact that URD had to design it to fit with all forms of aftermarket catbacks, having that flange with bottle neck was a necessary choice.

Gadget even admits that when he designed it, the intent was for those that wanted to go the extra step and improve upon it just that much more, it would be very easy.

This is what my was done to remove that restriction after my friend and I discussed how he should go about building his exhaust.

Now, this is more for those that decide to run the 3" catback, but the same principles apply for someone who wanted to run a 2.5" catback as well.

Cut the flange off at the restriction. Weld on a 3" V-band flange. Weld on a short piece of 3" exhaust tubing. Straight through and you will feel an improvement in the power band.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42949

Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
03evo8gsr is on a distinguished road
03evo8gsr's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice. I might do this when I get mine changed out.