1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No Throttle Response?!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by jvand678, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Nov 9, 2008 at 12:03 AM
    jvand678

jvand678 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lubbock, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 Dbl CabTRD Sport 4x4 Black
    Westin Nerf bars, full window tint, redline hood struts, Icon Coilovers, Wheeler Add a Leaf 3 pack (on its way)
    Ok guys,

here's the problem. I've "upgraded" the intake to a k & n cai and the exhaust to a full cat back magna flow, I've added the unichip chip that is "tuned" for both of those and I still think the wife's bone stock 4runner has more pep off the line and even more top end. Is this normal? If so, if no... Does anybody have any suggestions?

thanks

JV

2. Nov 9, 2008 at 5:57 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Give me some more info on this "Unichip" that you installed. :confused:
    Since the K&N is sucking in hot air from the engine bay, odds are that you may have lost power from it, and the magnaflow exhaust could have cost a few h.p. on the bottom.
    ALSO, I think the 4Runners have a shorter first gear than the Tacomas, but I cant find anything to back this up right now.

3. Nov 9, 2008 at 7:00 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    Uni Chips are decent at best. I've only heard a couple success stories about them.

As far as the K&N sucking hot air, while that is partially true, at cruising speeds, my air intake temp is usually within 3-5* of ambient. Not going to see any difference there when compared to a closed box intake.

Now as you open up the exhaust, your going to be moving low end torque up to high end hp.

For your mods, I say get rid of the unichip completely and look into the URD MAF calibrator. You'll be able to get a better tune out of it.

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_72&products_id=1260198051

4. Nov 9, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Im glad you posted this. All the dyno runs I have done have shown it to be hotter than ambient, and I have wondered how it would read in the "real world". :)

5. Nov 9, 2008 at 7:23 AM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    The only thing that sucks, is when you stop moving.. that temp goes up FAST! But after about a minute of driving or so it comes back down.

6. Nov 9, 2008 at 7:25 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I kinda figured that, but, I had no proof.

7. Nov 9, 2008 at 11:18 AM
    jvand678

Member:
    Lubbock, TX
    Vehicle:
    Westin Nerf bars, full window tint, redline hood struts, Icon Coilovers, Wheeler Add a Leaf 3 pack (on its way)
    I installed the unichip because of the mileage/performance gains that I had read on here from another user (tacorock). It's a piggy-back system to the ucm that changes the air/fuel as well as the shift points. I was able to bump up the mileage from 17 to 20.5 with the change alone. I could also tell that it did shift better at hard accelleration. I know that in order to really set the maps correctly, it needs to go on the dyno and have it tweaked in. I haven't done that.

Also, I know I'm asking for throttle response but I also put about 650 miles a week on my pickup and can't afford to lose the mileage I've gained by yanking it completely. Are you guys seeing any mpg changes out of the urd maf calibrator or just the tunability to really tweak it up for performance? I really do appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Joe

8. Nov 9, 2008 at 2:51 PM
    XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Performance and gas mileage usually don't work together. If your looking to increase your highway mileage, try putting larger then spec tires on. You WILL lose some performance but it will bring down your highway cruising rpms.

The URD MAF cal adjust the fuel trim the same as the unichip. Your tune regardless of what tuning device your running will make the biggest difference. If your not tuned now, I would highly recommend getting it tuned to prevent anything bad from happening (running too rich/lean).

9. Nov 9, 2008 at 3:50 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    This will kill your in town milage. The increase in rotational mass might not be worth it. Also, increased frontal area, although small, from the larger diameter tires. Very rearly has this given an increase in hwy mpg.

10. Nov 9, 2008 at 6:04 PM
    jvand678

Member:
    Lubbock, TX
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I totally realize I'm looking for a dodo bird here.....

I was just curious and had assumed that most of the upgrades I've done were good for performance as well as mileage. I just didn't understand why the wife's stock 4Runner had so much more pep than my taco with upgrades and thought there might be something out there that could improve the throttle response. I also understand that most of the time when you are gaining top end horse power and you improve the flow of air in and out of the engine you usually lose the low end torque. Just thought I'd cross my fingers and ask the question to some guys who had much more experience in this area than I did.

11. Nov 9, 2008 at 8:56 PM
    jaxchrisfla

jaxchrisfla Well-Known Member

Member:
    flooriduh
    lots
    the rear end ratios will also affect the low end "pep".

Products Discussed in

To Top