Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Hood Scoop Fully Cut Out Mod

Old 11-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Black Betty is on a distinguished road

Black Betty's Tacoma Gallery
Hood Scoop Fully Cut Out Mod

I bought the Grillcraft MX Series grill not to long ago, I am really happy with it. I donít plan to get the lower grill because I plan on getting a light bar that will go through it. As for the hood scoop, the stock one doesnít match now and Grillcraft doesnít make a MX Series hood scoop replacement. I already opened the hood scoop all the way, but I kept the small grill on. I decided to take it off for good.

I had to cut and sand smooth the inner bottom the hood scoop so it didnĎt have the screw hole. The top screw holes really donít matter because you canít see them. Then I had to lightly repaint the inside bottom lip.
The one problem that was a real eye sore for me was seeing the center part of the under skeleton to the hood itself thought the hood scoop. I decided to cut it away. Yes I said cut it away! I marked where I wanted to cut and used a dermal tool to do it. You just have to be careful when cutting and take your time; itís not hard to bend the top on the hood, which you would notice as a dent on the hood. For me the cutting turned really out good. I then I cleaned it up and painted it with Rustoleum High Heat Ultra black. I bought some black door trim protector and cut it to fit where I cut top and bottom of the under skeleton . I was told it should hold up to the heat, and so far it has. The door trim comes with some type of adhesive already in it, but I added a small line of high heat glue. Just to be safe I reinforced my hood I used a stainless steel flat bar 1\8x16Ē, I cleaned it up, then I drilled three holes matching the three screws on the bottom part of the hood scoop. Then I painted the bar black with the Rustoleum High Heat Ultra black, and then I mounted it using the three nuts for the bottom part of the hood scoop.

Call me crazy but I am really happy with it!

The finished look.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
There go my nipples again!
Dilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shawn
Dilsky's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck looks bad ass man. I love the look of the grill! Where did you get that Tacoma symbol?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsky View Post
your truck looks bad ass man. I love the look of the grill! Where did you get that tacoma symbol?
a guy on this site made them!!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
there is a guy on this site that sells them. I dont remember his name but just search for devil horns emblem.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
effin sweet!!! how hard was the grill install
Old 11-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_x View Post
effin sweet!!! how hard was the grill install

Not that hard, just centering was a pain and having to cut out the stock grill.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
dude
drew-z will become famous soon enough
drew-z's Tacoma Gallery
that truck looks sick!!! so...what have your results been with this mod? does it help?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew-z View Post
that truck looks sick!!! so...what have your results been with this mod? does it help?
I did this mod for looks, cooling down the engine and increase intake a little. When I drive some water does go in through the hood scoop and on the engine cover and whatnot, but not enough to hurt it. When parked, rain might get in a little, but I havenít noticed any problems. I did this mod in August, this picture was taking today and I havenít cleaned the engine since I finished this mod. Yes I live in WA, and yes it rains a lot here.

Itís been stormy and raining hard lately, it lighten up a little just enough for me to look and take a picture. My truck was parked all night, as you can see there are large beads of water by the hood scoop. I opened the hook slightly to see how much water or debris got in, I didnít see any. I opened it up all the way and the beads of water went in through the hood scoop. I donít think problems with with water geting in when parking, and I don't think I will have any problems with this mod at all.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Jake
Old 11-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
-Doomsday Squad-"game over man"
RaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud of

RaginCajun's Tacoma Gallery
looks awesome dude...good job!
Old 11-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
soulreaper is on a distinguished road
soulreaper's Tacoma Gallery
very nice job i have been thinking about doing this to my truck also
Old 12-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
Costco Gold Star Member
superHI is on a distinguished road

superHI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Betty View Post

I bought the Grillcraft MX Series grill not to long ago, I am really happy with it. I donít plan to get the lower grill because I plan on getting a light bar that will go through it. As for the hood scoop, the stock one doesnít match now and Grillcraft doesnít make a MX Series hood scoop replacement. I already opened the hood scoop all the way, but I kept the small grill on. I decided to take it off for good.

I had to cut and sand smooth the inner bottom the hood scoop so it didnĎt have the screw hole. The top screw holes really donít matter because you canít see them. Then I had to lightly repaint the inside bottom lip.
The one problem that was a real eye sore for me was seeing the center part of the under skeleton to the hood itself thought the hood scoop. I decided to cut it away. Yes I said cut it away! I marked where I wanted to cut and used a dermal tool to do it. You just have to be careful when cutting and take your time; itís not hard to bend the top on the hood, which you would notice as a dent on the hood. For me the cutting turned really out good. I then I cleaned it up and painted it with Rustoleum High Heat Ultra black. I bought some black door trim protector and cut it to fit where I cut top and bottom of the under skeleton . I was told it should hold up to the heat, and so far it has. The door trim comes with some type of adhesive already in it, but I added a small line of high heat glue. Just to be safe I reinforced my hood I used a stainless steel flat bar 1\8x16Ē, I cleaned it up, then I drilled three holes matching the three screws on the bottom part of the hood scoop. Then I painted the bar black with the Rustoleum High Heat Ultra black, and then I mounted it using the three nuts for the bottom part of the hood scoop.

Call me crazy but I am really happy with it!

The finished look.

your truck is sweet. what size tires are you running?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
Damn you, vile woman!
Stewie is on a distinguished road

Stewie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
wow your truck looks great dude
I agree, it looks awesome man. I am jealous.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:32 AM   #18

35's
Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #19
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Increased performance from scoop mod?